Favorite Historical Character

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2013, 10:56 AM
RE: Favorite Historical Character
Ibn Battuta (14th-century) is pretty neat. He's the most prolific traveler to ever live. Over the course of 29 years, he traveled 75,000 miles by foot, beast, and boat across Africa, Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia, South Asia, East Asia, and Southeast Asia. Here is an awesome 3-part documentary about him. It's hosted by a British Arabist who could have been a candidate for the 7th member of Monty Python. You'll see what I mean if you watch it.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
06-04-2013, 12:47 PM
(06-04-2013 07:00 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 01:21 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Besides... you'd need a ladder. Tongue

Is that because he's so high?

I'm 6'5 and sometimes I'm the other high as well.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
06-04-2013, 01:40 PM
(05-04-2013 11:38 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Sulla.

Your turn. Thumbsup

(Got to thinking how the unholy trinity makes this place kinda suck, so I'm trying...

I figure, as "atheists," we beat that horse to death. Time for a new horse? Who are we, really?)

Marquis de Sade

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines. Breathe; Pink Floyd

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-04-2013, 02:15 PM
(06-04-2013 01:20 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 01:00 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  Lu bu.

You don't get a reputation like that without being a real badass.

Throughout Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Lü Bu is depicted as a ruthless and impulsive warrior who has no sense of loyalty and sympathy

~from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BC_Bu

Yeah. Sounds like you. Big Grin

But he was true to his lover, who originally was sent to him as a spy.

Want something? Then do something.
06-04-2013, 02:25 PM
(06-04-2013 02:15 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 01:20 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Throughout Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Lü Bu is depicted as a ruthless and impulsive warrior who has no sense of loyalty and sympathy

~from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BC_Bu

Yeah. Sounds like you. Big Grin

But he was true to his lover, who originally was sent to him as a spy.

but you forget that she was Slammin, blammin, bootylicious.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
06-04-2013, 02:31 PM
My favorite is Laozi, because,

[1] He was a great philosopher 6th century B.C. and maybe a teacher to Confucius.

[2] He was an archivist in the library of the Zhou Dynasty court most of his life.

[3] He traveled west on a water buffalo to reach the great desert. At the westernmost gate, a guard who recognized him, demanded that he write down his teachings, unrecorded until this point. The collected teachings became the Tao Te Ching.

[4] Tao Te Ching is a text that is fundamental to both philosophical and religious Taoism and strongly influenced other schools, such as Legalism, Confucianism and Chinese Buddhism, which when first introduced into China was largely interpreted through the use of Daoist words and concepts.

This 'Old Master' (what Laozi means) would left no mark in history if not for the guard who demanded that he leave his teachings. And the influence of those teachings has been profound.

Really, really cool.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 3 users Like HU.Junyuan's post
06-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Alex the grate Smile

Love that dude. Also that Persian dude... whassisname... Cyrus, also the great... Cyrus was pretty damn special.

Who else...

Omar Khayyam - mathematician, poet, philosopher... And his English translator - Fitzgerald I think did the classic translation.

There's a little known crazy old lady artist who lived in the town of Nieu Bethesda in the Eastern Cape of South Africa who was also fascinated by Omar Khayyam & his poetry, her house is called the Owl House and is *freaky shit*.
06-04-2013, 03:08 PM
I don't know, so I'm asking; are there any records, written or otherwise, of people from Mesopotamia? And that is the one that was situated between the Tigris, & Euphrates, right? The "1st civilization"? Like a leader, or shaman, or anybody?

06-04-2013, 03:12 PM
(06-04-2013 03:08 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I don't know, so I'm asking; are there any records, written or otherwise, of people from Mesopotamia? And that is the one that was situated between the Tigris, & Euphrates, right? The "1st civilization"? Like a leader, or shaman, or anybody?

Not as such. In all likelyhood it was so gradual that there was no First Leader per se but since records from that time are incredibly rare it's hard to say.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
06-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Plenty ! Lots of records because of their habit of recording shit on clay tablets. Early leaders - mostly semi-legendary, I believe people like Gilgamesh etc. But the city states like Ur and Karchemish mentioned in the bible kept records of their correspondence.

Disclaimer: this is me talking shit off top of head, wikipedia definitely has more and more accurate too Smile

Disclaimer disclaimer: I don't really know shit about this... maybe I'm even totally wrong Big Grin Oh well, shoved my oar in anyway...