Favorite Historical Character

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2013, 03:32 PM
RE: Favorite Historical Character
Then my favorite "historical" figure is that Mesopotamian philosopher whose name was never written down, and whose teachings are lost to us Sad

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
12-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Favorite Historical Character
MAO and HO CHI MINH. We're the greatest leaders to work in tandem with one another and changes the lives of more people at any time in history.

STALIN is a close one.
14-05-2013, 10:05 AM
I would have to say - Caesar Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus, The "Philosopher King"

“My view is that if your philosophy is not unsettled daily then you are blind to all the universe has to offer.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes Vagas's post
14-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Re: Favorite Historical Character
Tycho Brahe

Because a as a historical character his story entails: significant impact, a superior protege, notable flaws, and a hilariously tragic death.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
14-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

He was a theology professor, but I don't hold that against him, considering the times he lived in. He was a professor of Rhetoric and Theology at Bowdoin College. He spoke nine languages, and taught almost every class that the school offered.

He abandoned his academic career to join the Federal army during the Civil War, becoming Lieutenant Colonel of the 20th Maine regiment. Later on, he became full colonel. He fought at the Battle of Gettysburg, holding the Union left flank against repeated assaults by a stronger Confederate force; when his troops ran out of ammunition he initiated a bayonet charge down the hill and captured 101 enemy soldiers. He was awarded the Medal of Honor.

He was later promoted to Brigadier General. At the Siege of Petersburg he was shot in the leg, presumed fatally. He was brevet promoted to Major General. However, he lived through his wound, and continued to lead his troops through the end of the war. He was wounded a total of seven times, and had seven horses shot out from under him.

At Appomattox Court House, where General Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia surrendered to General Grant, Chamberlain was put in charge of the surrender ceremony. Rather than gloat over the defeated Confederates, Chamberlain ordered his men to salute them as they marched by; the Confederate commander returned the gesture.

After the war, Chamberlain ran for Governor of Maine, and won four elections, serving from 1866 to 1870. On stepping down from office he became commander of the Maine Militia. The next election was so close that it wasn't clear who had won, and a recount was needed. Armed men occupied the State House where the ballots were counted. Chamberlain arrived at the State House and talked the men down. He occupied the building and initiated a recount. Both candidates attempted to bribe him with a Senatorial position; he declined both of them. Thirty armed men came to the State House to try to oust the militia and rig the vote. Chamberlain went out and confronted them, alone, and convinced them to put down arms and go home through sheer rhetoric and force of personality. He had the ballots counted honestly.

After that, he stayed in command of the Maine Militia for a number of years, before returning to academia at Bowdoin college. He became president of the college, and served in that position for several more years. In 1898, at the age of 70, he applied for service as an officer in the Spanish-American War, but was turned down due to age and poor health. He lived to the age of 86, dying in 1914 of complications of an infection in the wound he received at Petersburg, making him the last Civil War veteran to die of a war wound.

Basically, he was a gentleman badass.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 6 users Like Phaedrus's post
15-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Ada Lovelace, Grace Hopper, and Alan Turing. Bitches be hot!

[Image: ada.jpg] [Image: hopper.jpg] [Image: turing.jpg]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Jesus of Nazareth, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, David Hume, Winston Churchill, Archimedes, Muhammad, Attila the Hun, Marie Curie, Joan of Arc, Andre the Giant. All for different reasons.

26-05-2013, 01:24 AM
Julius Caesar.

Because..Well..Caesar!
27-05-2013, 06:09 AM
I could have sworn I posted in this...

One of my favourite people in history would have to be Eriwin Rommel.
By pretty much all accounts, he was a gentleman officer, his Afrika Korps for never accused of war crimes , his PoWs were treated as fairly as possible, he ignored orders to execute Jews, civilians and enemy soldiers regardless of their positions.
He was also a formidable opponent for Allied forces during the African Campaign, worthy of respect.

My History class has also introduced me to a man called Sergie Witte, so far, I like the man.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-05-2013, 06:33 AM
(15-05-2013 05:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ada Lovelace, Grace Hopper, and Alan Turing. Bitches be hot!

[Image: ada.jpg] [Image: hopper.jpg] [Image: turing.jpg]

Looked up Hopper...wow!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce