Favorite Historical Character

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2013, 07:34 AM
RE: Favorite Historical Character
Ancient Chinese General, Sun Tzu
Give this guy crap about his Wu...? Wink ...see how that works out for ya Tongue

[Image: sun_tzu_strategy.jpeg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2013, 07:36 PM
(27-05-2013 06:33 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Looked up Hopper...wow!

Yeah, I like Admiral Hopper too. They called her Amazing Grace, and as far as I know she is the only woman in USN history to have a ship bear her name. I think Girly would have still been serving on active duty with her, correct me if I'm wrong. She truly was a inspirational woman. Do you know how much balls is takes to not only hang with, but exceed in such a male-centric and dominated arena? She's got my respect. Not only did she do it, she did it for-ev-er. Only a few salty men can boast such a long and distinguished career. I'm jealous Girly mentioned her before I read the forum Tongue

I can name a couple of other sailors to add to the list.

Admiral George Dewey. Read. He was the badass of the seas. Plus his facial hair was just plain awesome.

Also, Admiral David Farragut. Plus he is a hometown hero, but he is deducted points for having no facial hair.

28-05-2013, 07:56 PM
(28-05-2013 07:36 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(27-05-2013 06:33 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Looked up Hopper...wow!

Yeah, I like Admiral Hopper too. They called her Amazing Grace, and as far as I know she is the only woman in USN history to have a ship bear her name. I think Girly would have still been serving on active duty with her, correct me if I'm wrong. She truly was a inspirational woman. Do you know how much balls is takes to not only hang with, but exceed in such a male-centric and dominated arena? She's got my respect. Not only did she do it, she did it for-ev-er. Only a few salty men can boast such a long and distinguished career. I'm jealous Girly mentioned her before I read the forum Tongue

I can name a couple of other sailors to add to the list.

Admiral George Dewey. Read. He was the badass of the seas. Plus his facial hair was just plain awesome.

Also, Admiral David Farragut. Plus he is a hometown hero, but he is deducted points for having no facial hair.

I've been to both Fort Morgan and Fort Gaines where a good portion of the Battle for Mobile Bay took place and Farragut proclaimed his famous cry "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" though I don't think this trumps Dewey's mustache.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
29-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Dewy's mustache is the greatest mustache of all time.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
29-05-2013, 01:07 AM
(29-05-2013 12:13 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Dewy's mustache is the greatest mustache of all time.

It's definitely up there. Your spelling threw me off a bit though. I have always spelt it "moustache" . After a quick google search I am told that "mustache" is the "American" way, but to the best of my recollection I have never used that spelling. Whatever the case, spell-check tells me "moustache" is not correct. I swear if there is such a thing as reincarnation I was a Brit in a former life, cause I have found that I spell many things the "British" way. Maybe the internet, or television programs are to blame? Sorry for derailing.

I think my school books must've been antiquated. I also prefer draught (depending on it's use), and plough (as in gardens/fields) and I never can make up my mind if I should use defense or defence. Blink

29-05-2013, 08:47 AM
I just looked at the post above me.
My spelling would probably go along the lines of "moostash"

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
02-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Cornelius Tacitus

Ancient Roman Historian

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were ...
Born This Way
04-06-2013, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 01:51 PM by Dark Light.)
(02-06-2013 09:53 AM)Free Wrote:  Cornelius Tacitus

Ancient Roman Historian

This may be the silliest thing I've ever heard. I am familiar with Tacitus' writings, but why not cut out the middle man, go the the historical events he recorded.

This reminds me of a time I was driving with my sister. As I often say when I'm taking a long trip "I wish they would invent transporters!"...my sisters response was "That would be cool. I could just transport my car right into the parking spot." Shocking Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
04-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Favorite Historical Character
It's funny how people can like murderous rulers of the far past at the same time thinking its odd that I like Mao.
13-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Herodotus. Generally considered to be the father of written history (although there is some debate on it), look him up if you get a chance, I always found his life pretty fascinating. I usually take the time top introduce him to my students as it is his writings that give us the best primary source into how the Egyptians mummified the dead, and the ritual behind it.