Favorite Historical Character

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2013, 01:57 AM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2013 02:16 AM by WeasleyFromTheShire.)
RE: Favorite Historical Character
Francois-Marie Arouet..for obvious reasons. The pushing for separation of church and state, and philosophical beliefs lead me to this.

Then....J.R.R. Tolkien . The fact his works are timeless and will be read for hundreds of years, combined with his Libertarian and belief in Monarchism make him brilliant in my view. Include his disgust for the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki , although I do believe Truman made the best available decision to save more bloodshed but that this kind of power should not be flaunted .

I love these two men. Even though Tolkien was a Catholic Wink

" My friends. You bow to no one. " - Aragorn

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. " — Samuel Clemens

Simple....buy low, sell high.

Life in Rivendell is nice .
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Thomas Jefferson.

I love pointing to his treatment of the New Testament when someone says America was founded on Christianity.
30-07-2013, 04:47 AM
James Clerk Maxwell. One of the finest scientists who ever lived and the man who began the modern world.
30-07-2013, 06:07 AM
Nikola Tesla would be the obvious choice, but he can not be my favorite history character, he is everyones favorite. I see that no one has said NT, so I guess he goes by automatism, or you are all retarded, because he enabled you to write this here.

Let's see, who else... Slavoljub Penkala, Faust Vrancic... You know what, here, these are the Croats that deserve to be mentioned here, they are all great historical characters, but you probably never heard of them. http://www.croatia.eu/article.php?lang=2&id=37

For the purpose of this thread, here is my pick:

I would say dr. Hunter S. Thompson. Now that was a man that understood the world in which he was living and he knew how to write about it. The only man who knew and lived the real "American dream". Greatest journalist that ever lived.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 3 users Like Filox's post
05-08-2013, 09:23 PM
In this order.

1. Fred Astaire

2. Leonardo da Vinci

3. Cleopatra

4. Ann Boleyn

5. W C Fields Laughat

For those who aren't too familiar with W C Fields please do yourself a favor and educate yourself. You won't regret it.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
06-08-2013, 02:00 AM
Why on earth do you like Cleopatra? Assuming you're talking about Cleopatra the 1st.
She was of Greek origin and ruled Egypt whilst looking down on the native people. She only sought to increase her power over Egypt (ie: by killing her younger brother to gain sole power) likely because she liked the lavish life style of being Pharaoh.
She didn't do anything of any real significance and the only reason she's so famous is because she shagged Julius Caesar and Mark Antony.
I believe the term, Golddigger applies to her very much.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
06-08-2013, 02:34 AM
(06-08-2013 02:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I believe the term, Golddigger applies to her very much.

She had slaves to dig for her gold.
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post
06-08-2013, 03:55 AM
(06-08-2013 02:34 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 02:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I believe the term, Golddigger applies to her very much.

She had slaves to dig for her gold.

You know what? That was mildly cleaver, I'll give you that one random person I've never seen before.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
06-08-2013, 09:43 AM
(06-08-2013 02:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why on earth do you like Cleopatra? Assuming you're talking about Cleopatra the 1st.
She was of Greek origin and ruled Egypt whilst looking down on the native people. She only sought to increase her power over Egypt (ie: by killing her younger brother to gain sole power) likely because she liked the lavish life style of being Pharaoh.
She didn't do anything of any real significance and the only reason she's so famous is because she shagged Julius Caesar and Mark Antony.

Yes I realize all that. I've read many books on her. I didn't say I liked her. I do find her interesting though. Elizabeth the First wasn't a Sunday school teacher either. She had people thrown in prison and others killed but she was a totally interesting person. I meant to add Elizabeth I on the list but forgot. I got to watching W C Fields videos instead.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
06-08-2013, 09:52 AM
(06-08-2013 02:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why on earth do you like Cleopatra? Assuming you're talking about Cleopatra the 1st.

Cleopatra the 1st was Ptolemy Epiphanes's wife (and she was Seleukid). After that the name was re-used every subsequent generation.

The famous one was the 7th...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post