whatever 7, 1, it's all the same.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 11:20 AM
RE: Favorite Historical Character
(06-08-2013 09:52 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 02:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why on earth do you like Cleopatra? Assuming you're talking about Cleopatra the 1st.
She was of Greek origin and ruled Egypt whilst looking down on the native people. She only sought to increase her power over Egypt (ie: by killing her younger brother to gain sole power) likely because she liked the lavish life style of being Pharaoh.
She didn't do anything of any real significance and the only reason she's so famous is because she shagged Julius Caesar and Mark Antony.
I believe the term, Golddigger applies to her very much.

Cleopatra the 1st was Ptolemy Epiphanes's wife (and she was Seleukid). After that the name was re-used every subsequent generation.

The famous one was the 7th...

True. And there were several Ptolemy's as well. There was a dynasty of Ptolemy's, about 13 or 14 of them. One of them was a general to Alexander the Great.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
06-08-2013, 11:28 AM
For me it would be J. Robert Oppenheimer.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
06-08-2013, 11:37 AM
(06-08-2013 09:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 02:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why on earth do you like Cleopatra? Assuming you're talking about Cleopatra the 1st.
She was of Greek origin and ruled Egypt whilst looking down on the native people. She only sought to increase her power over Egypt (ie: by killing her younger brother to gain sole power) likely because she liked the lavish life style of being Pharaoh.
She didn't do anything of any real significance and the only reason she's so famous is because she shagged Julius Caesar and Mark Antony.
I believe the term, Golddigger applies to her very much.

Yes I realize all that. I've read many books on her. I didn't say I liked her. I do find her interesting though. Elizabeth the First wasn't a Sunday school teacher either. She had people thrown in prison and others killed but she was a totally interesting person. I meant to add Elizabeth I on the list but forgot. I got to watching W C Fields videos instead.

She certainly was an interesting character.
She certainly did a lot more then Cleopatra...

If you're interested in key female historical figures you know you can never go wrong with the likes of Joan of Arc or Boudica.
Though someone you might find really interesting, Tamar of Georgia.
First Georgian female monarch (this was in a time when Georgia actually had some power). She married a Russian prince who she later divorced and banished from Georgia and when he tried to lead a coup against her she squashed him like a bug beneath her boot. But not only that, she revived Georgia's expansionism plans and kicked her Muslim neighbor's asses. She was able to capitalize on their in-fighting by encouraging differing powers within her neighbor states to fight each other, then when they were weak she'd stroll in and kick some ass. Plus she did good shit for Georgia's people etc..

06-08-2013, 12:36 PM
(06-08-2013 11:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 09:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Yes I realize all that. I've read many books on her. I didn't say I liked her. I do find her interesting though. Elizabeth the First wasn't a Sunday school teacher either. She had people thrown in prison and others killed but she was a totally interesting person. I meant to add Elizabeth I on the list but forgot. I got to watching W C Fields videos instead.

She certainly was an interesting character.
She certainly did a lot more then Cleopatra...

If you're interested in key female historical figures you know you can never go wrong with the likes of Joan of Arc or Boudica.
Though someone you might find really interesting, Tamar of Georgia.
First Georgian female monarch (this was in a time when Georgia actually had some power). She married a Russian prince who she later divorced and banished from Georgia and when he tried to lead a coup against her she squashed him like a bug beneath her boot. But not only that, she revived Georgia's expansionism plans and kicked her Muslim neighbor's asses. She was able to capitalize on their in-fighting by encouraging differing powers within her neighbor states to fight each other, then when they were weak she'd stroll in and kick some ass. Plus she did good shit for Georgia's people etc..

For some reason Joan of Arc bores the hell out of me. I figured she had a psychosis or something. But I know she interests many people and that's fine.

Hummm. I'll have to find out more about Tamar of Georgia. When did she live? She sounds interesting. Generally women who attained power prior to modern times had to be as tough as nails. I'm talking real power not just being a figure head. It was difficult enough for men to grab power, think of what it took for woman.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
07-08-2013, 02:56 AM
13th Century.
Indeed. The Georigian people loved her apparently. I believe, and don't quote me on this at all, they have a national holiday in her honor.

07-08-2013, 04:16 AM
Tesla
Howard Hughes
Ayne Ayn

T.H.
11-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Emma Goldman. I cannot link to the appropriate websites well so I will offer only one particular quote. There is some confusion about what the actual quote is, tough.

"If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution".

Anarchist, atheist, a person who resisted sexual mores and an advocate of women she was very much a person who conflicted with the society of her time.
26-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Lieutennant James Fitzgibbon commander of the Bloody Boys during the war of 1812.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
26-08-2013, 09:06 PM
1. Anne Boleyn
2. Pharaoh Hatshepsut
3. Itzhak Pearlman
4. Andrew Lang
5. J. R. R. Tolkien
6. Ursula K. LeGuin
7. Empress Theodora