via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
23-09-2014, 07:34 AM
RE: Favorite Historical Leader
Also... HIM Haile Selassie I.

Idk if a democratically elected leader could've inspired his people as much as he did.
Find all posts by this user
23-09-2014, 10:22 AM
(22-09-2014 08:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Marie Antoinette - Let them eat cake.Rolleyes

I read a book about her years ago. She started off being a total air head but then turned out to be a stronger character than her husband, Louis XVI. He pretty much crumbled after they were arrested and thrown in jail but she kept herself together to the very end.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
23-09-2014, 10:46 AM
King Mufasa

Kefka

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
23-09-2014, 11:05 AM
(22-09-2014 08:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(22-09-2014 08:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  There are many I admire - possibly no favorite. Well, maybe Jefferson.

Thomas Jefferson
Theodore Roosevelt
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
King George VI and Queen Elizabeth
Pierre Elliott Trudeau
Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden

You're Canadian, correct? Why Pierre Elliott Trudeau? What's so fascinating about him.

Well, for starters:
"He was instrumental in negotiating Canada’s constitutional independence from the British Parliament
and establishing a new Canadian Constitution with an entrenched Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Trudeau also brought in the Official Languages Act in 1969, making Canada officially bilingual.
While he played an important role in defeating the Quebec sovereignist movement of the 1970s and 1980s,
his federalist stance as well as his language and economic policies alienated many in Canada, particularly in the western provinces.

The most dramatic event of Trudeau's first government was the October Crisis of 1970,
which was precipitated by the kidnapping of British diplomat James Cross and Québec Cabinet minister Pierre Laporte
by the terrorist Front de Libération du Québec (FLQ). In response, Trudeau invoked the War Measures Act,
with its extraordinary powers of arrest, detention and censorship. Shortly after, Laporte was murdered by his abductors.
Controversy over the appropriateness of these emergency measures and their effect on liberal democracy in Canada and Québec has continued to the present. "

He was intelligent, decisive, and charismatic.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-09-2014, 11:43 AM
(23-09-2014 10:22 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(22-09-2014 08:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Marie Antoinette - Let them eat cake.Rolleyes

I read a book about her years ago. She started off being a total air head but then turned out to be a stronger character than her husband, Louis XVI. He pretty much crumbled after they were arrested and thrown in jail but she kept herself together to the very end.

I was kidding about her. I couldn't think of one at first. I suppose she had a rude awakening.

Now I think :
Eleanor Rooseveldt, Eugene McCarthy
and yes, Lyndon Johnson ... while from what I read, I think he was abrasive and totally uncouth, and I disliked him, now I think he got some great things accomplished.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-09-2014, 12:26 PM
(22-09-2014 05:55 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Countess Elizabeth Báthory de Ecsed

Killed over 600 people and bathed in the blood of Virgin Girls to gain immortality.

I don't really pay attention to famous historical leaders. I am more enchanted by the inventors and adventurer types.

Chris McCandless? Smile

Oh and Huey P Long. Toppled the Bourbonist cabal controlling Louisiana and was (obviously a conspiracy imho) assassinated by FDR.
23-09-2014, 12:57 PM
(23-09-2014 11:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-09-2014 08:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You're Canadian, correct? Why Pierre Elliott Trudeau? What's so fascinating about him.

Well, for starters:
"He was instrumental in negotiating Canada’s constitutional independence from the British Parliament
and establishing a new Canadian Constitution with an entrenched Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Trudeau also brought in the Official Languages Act in 1969, making Canada officially bilingual.
While he played an important role in defeating the Quebec sovereignist movement of the 1970s and 1980s,
his federalist stance as well as his language and economic policies alienated many in Canada, particularly in the western provinces.

The most dramatic event of Trudeau's first government was the October Crisis of 1970,
which was precipitated by the kidnapping of British diplomat James Cross and Québec Cabinet minister Pierre Laporte
by the terrorist Front de Libération du Québec (FLQ). In response, Trudeau invoked the War Measures Act,
with its extraordinary powers of arrest, detention and censorship. Shortly after, Laporte was murdered by his abductors.
Controversy over the appropriateness of these emergency measures and their effect on liberal democracy in Canada and Québec has continued to the present. "

He was intelligent, decisive, and charismatic.

My two oldest brothers "moved" to Canada in 1969 during the Vietnam war and became Canadian citizens although it really wasn't such a big thing because my mother was Canadian so they had duel citizenship to begin with. Even with duel citizenship it was tough crossing the boarder. They still live there and love Canada. Too cold for my taste. I do remember Trudeau when I was a kid being Canada's version of JFK. I remember something about him having a beautiful wife that caused some problems but I don't remember what all the fuss was about.

23-09-2014, 01:05 PM
(23-09-2014 11:43 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 10:22 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I read a book about her years ago. She started off being a total air head but then turned out to be a stronger character than her husband, Louis XVI. He pretty much crumbled after they were arrested and thrown in jail but she kept herself together to the very end.

I was kidding about her. I couldn't think of one at first. I suppose she had a rude awakening.

Now I think :
Eleanor Rooseveldt, Eugene McCarthy
and yes, Lyndon Johnson ... while from what I read, I think he was abrasive and totally uncouth, and I disliked him, now I think he got some great things accomplished.

Well, a couple of months ago I finished reading The Passage of Power by Robert Caro. It's an amazingly detailed account of LBJ. Part of a trilogy of his life by Caro. If LBJ and had stayed out of Vietnam he would be one of our greatest presidents but like most politicians their egos get in the way of thinking clearly. Very interesting book. I'm getting ready to read the other two.

I love biographies of people, famous or not.

23-09-2014, 01:13 PM
(23-09-2014 12:57 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My two oldest brothers "moved" to Canada in 1969 during the Vietnam war and became Canadian citizens although it really wasn't such a big thing because my mother was Canadian so they had duel citizenship to begin with. Even with duel citizenship it was tough crossing the boarder. They still live there and love Canada. Too cold for my taste. I do remember Trudeau when I was a kid being Canada's version of JFK. I remember something about him having a beautiful wife that caused some problems but I don't remember what all the fuss was about.

She was 28 years his junior. Yes

And from Wikipedia:
Beyond the normal extensive publicity that her high-profile position brought,
on a few instances she made her own headlines. Margaret smuggled drugs in the
prime minister's luggage, made scantily clad appearances at Studio 54, and tore
apart a tapestry in the prime minister's official residence in Ottawa because it
celebrated "reason over passion".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]