Favorite Historical Leader

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2014, 05:18 AM
RE: Favorite Historical Leader
(25-09-2014 03:11 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  Funny that Charlemagne's dynasty was relatively inconspicuous/unimportant, reduced to a single county in France by the time 1066 came around and a new important dynasty took office as important.

I was randomly reading a bit about Charlemagne last night (and by random I mean I turned to a random page in my history book and bam, there he was) and it sounds like he was pretty instrumental in spreading Christianity to Europe.

Wait.. or maybe that was his grandfather Charles Martel, I can't remember. I'll have to re-read it I think.

I do remember however that Charles Martel's son, Pepin the Short was Charlemagne's father which is ironic because Charlemagne was said to be a real giant of a man.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2014, 07:59 AM
(30-09-2014 05:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(25-09-2014 03:11 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  Funny that Charlemagne's dynasty was relatively inconspicuous/unimportant, reduced to a single county in France by the time 1066 came around and a new important dynasty took office as important.

I was randomly reading a bit about Charlemagne last night (and by random I mean I turned to a random page in my history book and bam, there he was) and it sounds like he was pretty instrumental in spreading Christianity to Europe.

Wait.. or maybe that was his grandfather Charles Martel, I can't remember. I'll have to re-read it I think.

I do remember however that Charles Martel's son, Pepin the Short was Charlemagne's father which is ironic because Charlemagne was said to be a real giant of a man.

Martel preserved Christianity (stopped the Arab juggernaut) but Charlemagne definitely was instrumental in spreading it, even after the Schism.
30-09-2014, 04:12 PM
(30-09-2014 05:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  

Oh, I don't know. He doesn't look too much taller in the musical about him. Pippin!

[Image: 3.186339.jpg]

And Broadway musicals are always accurate.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
30-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Socrates>>>>>>he asked heaps of really annoying questions and drove everyone mad---------------was executed for his trouble!
12-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Hands down it has to be Hitler. Now of course I don't agree with him but I think he is the most interesting person in history.
12-01-2015, 06:04 PM
(25-09-2014 08:38 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Charlemagne. He fought through some mucky disorder to strive and help finally form some unity and spend movements into establishing education, trade, and artistic flurioushment in his ages, even trying over time to educate himself to be able to read.

And like many great things in this world, it turned out rather meaningless and the natural chaotic nature of things returned after a few short generations.

He was also a genocidal maniac and religious fanatic who forced the pagans to convert at the blade of a sword. He was the Muhammad of Europe.

I would say Penda of Mercia; who I consider to be a heathen martyr and hero. He also tolerated the Christians even though he despised their religion, which is one of the reasons I consider the pagans to be far morally superior to the Christians.

Others from the ancient period would be Cyrus the Great, who freed the Jews and conquered most of the known world, ruled in a humane way, Spartacus, Saladin (who was a great leader for a Moslem) and some more I can't remember.

More recent ones would be:
Rosa Luxemburg
Mustafa Kemal Pasha
Abraham Lincoln
Theodore Roosevelt (My Favorite President)
Franklin Roosevelt
Harry Truman

My least favorite current leader would probably be Erdogan.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
12-01-2015, 06:27 PM
Michael Collins - one of the most important Irish revolutionary leaders who played a major part in Irelands history.

[Image: bTEpJ3b.png]

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
12-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Quote:, Pepin the Short was Charlemagne's father which is ironic because Charlemagne was said to be a real giant of a man.

They didn't call him "the Short" because of his height. Big joke in the convent.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
13-01-2015, 04:23 AM

Big Grin lol

But on a more serious note, mine's gotta be Alexander the Great. Enough said.

I also like Napoleon, interesting story.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
15-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Erik the red

King Leonidas

Patton