Favorite Historical Leader

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2015, 01:55 PM
RE: Favorite Historical Leader
This thread reminds me of when I was asked this in RE at grammar school. Everybody else came out with people like Jesus or Mother Theresa and even the Pope.

I said "Jimmy Page".

Nowadays........Nikola Tesla. A fascinating person.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2015, 01:58 PM
(23-09-2014 11:43 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 10:22 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I read a book about her years ago. She started off being a total air head but then turned out to be a stronger character than her husband, Louis XVI. He pretty much crumbled after they were arrested and thrown in jail but she kept herself together to the very end.

I was kidding about her. I couldn't think of one at first. I suppose she had a rude awakening.

Now I think :
Eleanor Roosevelt, Eugene McCarthy
and yes, Lyndon Johnson ... while from what I read, I think he was abrasive and totally uncouth, and I disliked him, now I think he got some great things accomplished.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Titus Flavius Vespasianus 9 AD-79 AD. Brought balance back to the roman empire after the civil wars of the `year of the 4 emperors.` and the reign of Nero. initiated construction of the Colosseum.

"When you tell me that your Deity made you in his own image, I reply that he must have been very ugly." Victor Hugo
11-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Adolf Hitler. What powerful charisma.

Το βάρος της απόδειξης βαρύνει αυτούς που κάνουν την αξίωση
17-03-2015, 03:05 PM
My favorite leader would probably be the earliest known leader to

1. free slaves

2. adopt pluralism for religions

3. institute a peace treaty

That was Enmetena of Lagash (called Entemena in some sources). Some details about him are found here --

http://sumerianshakespeare.com/70701/70801.html

-- and they indicate that many of the basic safeguards we take for granted today in a civilized society first came from him. -- Certainly, the earliest extant figure who stands for basic legal equity and gives some relief to the marginalized really appears to be this leader from roughly 4,500 years ago.

Cheers,

Stein
17-03-2015, 03:08 PM
(11-03-2015 01:35 PM)Αθεία Αμβρόσιος Wrote:  Adolf Hitler. What powerful charisma.

You apparently mean 'favorite' in some non-standard sense of the word.
17-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Marshal Applewhite..

The wide eyed whackadoodle leader of "Heaven's Gate" --- the goofy cult that had the males castrated - dressed up in jogging suits and committed suicide with poison - so they "Could rendezvous with the UFO hiding behind the comet"......

Seriously -- any dude that can talk a bunch of religious twats into killing themselves - is doing the rest of us a bigassed favor...............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
18-03-2015, 04:14 PM
(17-03-2015 03:08 PM)Machias Wrote:  
(11-03-2015 01:35 PM)Αθεία Αμβρόσιος Wrote:  Adolf Hitler. What powerful charisma.

You apparently mean 'favorite' in some non-standard sense of the word.

He is my favourite world leader from history. How is it non-standard? If I said John FitzGerald Kennedy, I would be no more or less "standard" than if I said Josef Stalin or Vlad Tepes.

Το βάρος της απόδειξης βαρύνει αυτούς που κάνουν την αξίωση
18-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Hatshepsut
Ahhotep
Nefertiti
Alexander the Great
Elizabeth I

I can't choose just one.
18-03-2015, 10:37 PM
(18-03-2015 04:14 PM)Αθεία Αμβρόσιος Wrote:  
(17-03-2015 03:08 PM)Machias Wrote:  You apparently mean 'favorite' in some non-standard sense of the word.

He is my favourite world leader from history. How is it non-standard? If I said John FitzGerald Kennedy, I would be no more or less "standard" than if I said Josef Stalin or Vlad Tepes.

Do you feel that Adolf Hitler was admirable in some way, or is there some other reason why he is your favorite?

Stein