Poll: Favorite Characters?
Garrus Vakarian
Tali'Zorah
Liara T'Soni
Systems Alliance (Ashley Williams / Kaiden Alenko)
Cerberus (Miranda Lawson / Jacob Taylor)
ME2 DLC (Zaeed Massani / Kasumi Goto)
Krogan (Urdnot Wrex / Grunt)
ME3 DLC (Javik / Aria T'Loak / Nyreen Kandros)
Other ME2 (Jack / Samara / Legion / Thane)
Other ME3 (Vega / EDI)
Anyone else that I couldn't fit into this poll! (Be specific and please post who & why!)
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Favorite Mass Effect characters?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2014, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2014 10:48 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Favorite Mass Effect characters?
Heads up, this thread will be SPOILERIFIC! You have been warned!

Anyways, I've been on a Mass Effect binge recently, up-to-and-including the Citadel ME3 DLC that I hadn't actually played until recently, and it has me looking back fondly over the entire series. Bioware makes some of the best characters in games today, made even more impressive by their tendency to do so with massive ensemble casts. So I'm just going to make a quick rundown of a few of my absolute favorite characters, and anyones else that cares enough to throw their .02 cents in is more than welcome.

Favorite companion in ME1 - Urdnot Wrex

[Image: VideoGameArt_MassEffect3_Wreav_Armor01_HerbertLowis.jpg]

The motherfucker is near indestructible powerhouse of shotgun blasts and biotic fury. He's crass and lowbrow, but his heart is always in the right place. He ultimately wants to save his people and lead them into a new golden age, which you can eventually make happen if you play your cards right. He's the last, best hope for the Krogan; and he's got your back. Also, probably one of the most entertaining voices to listen to.

Favorite companion in ME2 - Tali'Zorah

[Image: tali__zorah_vas_normandy_21_by_johntesh-d4vi121.jpg]

The quarians really get shortchanged in the original Mass Effect (Tali is the only one you ever meet), fortunately both the species and Tali get far more fleshed out in the sequel. It's here that Tali can really take the spotlight and become far more fleshed out. If it wasn't for EDI, she'd have taken the the ME3 spot for what happens on her homeworld of Rannock, but as is it is ME2 that sets up that huge later payoff. Tali is endearing in a way that no other character is in the series, she is the bumbling perfectionist who is always striving to prove herself (to her father, her people, hew crew). While she often gets caught up on her perceived failures, she still never lets it stop here from trying. She is the trilogy's eternal optimist.

Favorite companion in ME3 - EDI

[Image: VideoGameArt_MassEffect3_EdiAlternateArm...ssetti.jpg]

While EDI was introduced as the ship AI of the new Normandy SR-2 after the destruction of the original at the start of ME2, EDI gains an actual body and becomes an integral companion early on in ME3. Given how much more ME3 explores the division between synthetics and organics, EDI takes on a far more centralized and pivotal role in the story. She changes and grow more than any other character in ME3, and watching her transformation was one of that game's highlights for me; further cemented by the Extended Cut ending. EDI is the soul of ME3.

Series MVP - Garrus Vakarian

[Image: garrus_vakarian_by_donabruja-d547fzq.jpg]

You get him early on in the original Mass Effect, and there is very little time that he is not by your side. Subsequently this also means that he's one of the characters that Shepard has the most influence over. Garrus and Shepard are the quintessential buddy-cop duo, and Garrus is serious when he needs to be but can also inject moments with much needed levity. Ace marksman, consummate smartass, and professional badass.

Honorable Mention - Jeff 'Joker' Moreau

[Image: Edi_and_joker_before_cronos_station.png]

He's the best damn pilot in the galaxy, and he's voiced by Seth Green. He gets some of the series best lines, which is admirable considering that up until ME3 he almost never leaves the cockpit of the ship. Much like Tali and Garrus, Joker is one of those anchor points of the entire series; he's one of the characters that helps to ground Shepard. Also he's plays a pivotal part of EDI's aforementioned transformation across the series.

Favorite Nemesis - Maya Brooks

[Image: 910px-Maya_mugshot.png]

So had she not betrayed you at the end of the Citadel DLC, revealing herself to be the mastermind behind Shepard's clone and it's plan to replace the original Shepard and steal your identity; she probably would have been my favorite one-off NPC. She's bubbly and energetic and genuinely fun to have around for the short time that's she's there, which makes her betrayal all that more painful when it happens. She very quickly gets on your good side, and just as quickly shits all over you; but until she does she's one of the funniest characters when she has the spotlight. She's a fun 'fish out of water' character than can play off all of the other seasoned veterans on the team.

Other favorites include...
Liara T'Soni
Legion
Ashley Williams
Samantha Traynor
Aria T'Loak
Grunt

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
31-03-2014, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2014 09:58 PM by Free Thought.)
RE: Favorite Mass Effect characters?
(31-03-2014 10:34 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Heads up, this thread will be SPOILERIFIC! You have been warned!

Anyways, I've been on a Mass Effect binge recently, up-to-and-including the Citadel ME3 DLC that I hadn't actually played until recently, and it has me looking back fondly over the entire series. Bioware makes some of the best characters in games today, made even more impressive by their tendency to do so with massive ensemble casts. So I'm just going to make a quick rundown of a few of my absolute favorite characters, and anyones else that cares enough to throw their .02 cents in is more than welcome.

The motherfucker is near indestructible powerhouse of shotgun blasts and biotic fury. He's crass and lowbrow, but his heart is always in the right place. He ultimately wants to save his people and lead them into a new golden age, which you can eventually make happen if you play your cards right. He's the last, best hope for the Krogan; and he's got your back. Also, probably one of the most entertaining voices to listen to.

Favorite companion in ME2 - Tali Zora

The quarians really get shortchanged in the original Mass Effect (Tali is the only one you ever meet), fortunately both the species and Tali get far more fleshed out in the sequel. It's here that Tali can really take the spotlight and become far more fleshed out. If it wasn't for EDI, she'd have taken the the ME3 spot for what happens on her homeworld of Rannock, but as is it is ME2 that sets up that huge later payoff. Tali is endearing in a way that no other character is in the series, she is the bumbling perfectionist who is always striving to prove herself (to her father, her people, hew crew). While she often gets caught up on her perceived failures, she still never lets it stop here from trying. She is the trilogy's eternal optimist.

While EDI was introduced as the ship AI of the new Normandy SR-2 after the destruction of the original at the start of ME2, EDI gains an actual body and becomes an integral companion early on in ME3. Given how much more ME3 explores the division between synthetics and organics, EDI takes on a far more centralized and pivotal role in the story. She changes and grow more than any other character in ME3, and watching her transformation was one of that game's highlights for me; further cemented by the Extended Cut ending. EDI is the soul of ME3.

You get him early on in the original Mass Effect, and there is very little time that he is not by your side. Subsequently this also means that he's one of the characters that Shepard has the most influence over. Garrus and Shepard are the quintessential buddy-cop duo, and Garrus is serious when he needs to be but can also inject moments with much needed levity. Ace marksman, consummate smartass, and professional badass.

He's the best damn pilot in the galaxy, and he's voiced by Seth Green. He get some of the series best lines, which is admirable considering that up until ME3 he almost never leaves the cockpit of the ship. Much like Tali and Garrus, Joker is one of those anchor points of the entire series; he's one of the characters that helps to ground Shepard. Also he's plays a pivotal part of EDI's aforementioned transformation across the series.

So had she not betrayed you at the end of the Citadel DLC, revealing herself to be the mastermind behind Shepard's clone and it's plan to replace the original Shepard and steal your identity; she probably would have been my favorite one-off NPC. She's bubbly and energetic and genuinely fun to have around for the short time that's she's there, which makes her betrayal all that more painful when it happens. She very quickly gets on your good side, and just as quickly shits all over you; but until she does she's one of the funniest characters when she has the spotlight. She's a fun 'fish out of water' character than can play off all of the other seasoned veterans on the team.

Liara T'Soni
Legion
Ashley Williams
Samantha Traynor
Aria T'Loak
Grunt

My favourite character in Mass Effect is unquestionably Garrus; I've had him as a companion throughout the entire series; somehow there are very few occasions where I didn't have him trailing behind me in my immediate party; his abilities were always useful it seems. He was an excellent, well rounded combat companion.

Not only was he good in combat, but outside of it he was an excellent character in general; his lines were excellently delivered and well written, I dare-say more-so than usual, and ME usually had well written and expressed characters.

His growth as a character was surprising; in ME 1 he almost had a cliché cocky-cop sort of thing going on which changed subtly over time. By ME 2 he was still showing signs of this but it was far more narrowed down and defined, tempered by a sort of realism. And them Mass Effect 3 comes along. Some of the comments that Garrus makes almost make him seem like he is dealing with something akin to PTSD, which given the overwhelming importance of his new position and the situation actually makes a lot of sense...

There is no character I like more than Garrus in Mass Effect.

Plus who doesn't love the reverberating sound of a classic Turian voice?

Honourable mentions though go to Javik, Grunt & Joker; all of which are fairly well-written characters in their own rights.
I personally love the very upfront and brutally honesty of Javik and Grunt's frank nature.
Joker is... Well he's Joker, his name says all the reason I like him; he's a brilliantly written character in his own right and his joking, sarcasm and sardonic wit all seem so perfectly natural. It helps that he hits the mark every time.

Edit: spelling and redundancy

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
31-03-2014, 11:21 AM
(31-03-2014 11:03 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 10:34 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Heads up, this thread will be SPOILERIFIC! You have been warned!

Favorite companion in ME2 - Tali Zora

He's the best damn pilot in the galaxy, and he's voiced by Seth Green. He get some of the series best lines, which is admirable considering that up until ME3 he almost never leaves the cockpit of the ship. Much like Tali and Garrus, Joker is one of those anchor points of the entire series; he's one of the characters that helps to ground Shepard. Also he's plays a pivotal part of EDI's aforementioned transformation across the series.

Liara T'Soni
Legion
Ashley Williams
Samantha Traynor
Aria T'Loak
Grunt

My favourite character in Mass Effect is unquestionably Garrus; I've had him as a companion throughout the entire series; somehow there are very few occasions where I didn't have him trailing behind me in my immediate party; his abilities were always useful it seems. He was an excellent, well rounded combat companion.

Not only was he god in combat, but outside of it he was an excellent character in general; his lines were excellently delivered and well written, I dare-say more-so than usual, and ME usually had well written and expressed characters.

His growth as a character was surprising; in ME 1 he almost had a cliché cocky-cop sort of thing going on which changed subtly over time. By ME 2 he was still showing signs of this but it was far more narrowed down and defined, tempered by a sort of realism. And them Mass Effect 3 comes along. Some of the comments that Garrus makes almost make him seem like he is dealing with something akin to PTSD, which given the overwhelming importance of his new position and the situation actually makes a lot of sense...

There is no character I like more than Garrus in Mass Effect.

Honourable mentions though go to Javik, Grunt & Joker; all of which are fairly well-written characters in their own rights.
I personally love the very upfront and brutally honesty of Javik and Grunt's frank nature.
Joker is... Well he's Joker, his name says all the reason I like him; he's a brilliantly written character in his own right and his joking, sarcasm and sardonic wit all seem so perfectly natural. It helps that he hits the mark every time.

Couldn't agree more. Garrus is most definitely my favorite regular character. Not only is he extremely useful as part of the team (almost never didn't have him sniping shit off), he's got a great cynicism about him that evolves, but stays true to his nature. I'm a huge fan of his rogue attitude about authority. Authority has a valid place so long as it is useful and helpful. Otherwise, it just gets in the way of getting the job done.

I was going to call out EK on not having Joker on the list, but he really is a tertiary character. But goddam is he a brilliant tertiary character. They couldn't have picked a better voice actor for the part either. Seth Green has a natural sarcastic quality to his voice that makes the character even more likeable. Even the little quips over the com that you get from him are memorable and great.

I like most of the characters, but I just couldn't get myself to like Ashley. She's too goddam whiny. She's supposed to be this badass soldier but all she does is bitch about her life or what Shepard is doing wrong.

Liara was the other character that I almost always had around and liked a lot. I know, she was kinda whiny too, but she is a scientist who get thrown into a war. I feel for her. She also grows more than any character throughout the series. Garrus may evolve his views, but he's essentially still the same guy throughout. Liara goes from being a sheltered, reserved, insecure archaeologist to being one of the most powerful people in the galaxy. By the end of the series, she's grown so much that she's almost unrecognizable from her former self.

She turned me into a NEWT. I got better, though.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
31-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Garrus and Wrex were my A team. Little annoying though because I was a sniper/tech class and had like no bio at all.. Oh well, Wrex tanking it out while Garrus and I layed down the law tended to get the job done rather efficiently and quickly.

So pissed off that Wrex was replaced by shitty Grunt. Angry

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
31-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Rolleyes
(31-03-2014 11:33 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Garrus and Wrex were my A team. Little annoying though because I was a sniper/tech class and had like no bio at all.. Oh well, Wrex tanking it out while Garrus and I layed down the law tended to get the job done rather efficiently and quickly.

So pissed off that Wrex was replaced by shitty Grunt.

I gotta admit. I had a bit of a thing for Garrus. Blush

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
31-03-2014, 11:36 PM
kinky..

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
31-03-2014, 11:46 PM
Weird right? There is just something very attractive about the characters personality. *fans herself* Oh fiction. Besides Garrus, the best parts of the game involved Edi and Joker.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
31-03-2014, 11:48 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2014 11:55 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(31-03-2014 11:46 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Weird right? There is just something very attractive about the characters personality. *fans herself* Oh fiction. Besides Garrus, the best parts of the game involved Edi and Joker.

[Image: 43662e61c9f9c06aa8e5dd23109190b3.jpg]

[Image: 1ea6f3247b9fbc7b8d4509bb7ff10507.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-05-2014, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2014 03:21 PM by Shimpe.)
Currently replaying the first game, have Ashley and Garrus in my team.
I have the tendencies to insult Liara, guilty pleasure Rolleyes
Shepard: You're obsessed!
Liara: "Shocked"

I watch out for human interest in this game, so i'm a bit of a meany to outsiders. I really think the first one beats the sock out of 2 and 3 though.

Nice fun gameplay value, while exploring planets and doing side missions.
02-05-2014, 04:28 PM
(02-05-2014 03:16 PM)Shimpe Wrote:  I really think the first one beats the sock out of 2 and 3 though.

Nice fun gameplay value, while exploring planets and doing side missions.

ME had clunky, plain bad and nigh intolerable combat compared to ME2, which was a vast improvement; felt better, played better and combat tended to 'flow' a bit better too. ME3 wasn't much of an improvement though. Stupid randomly added weight system and power redevelopment...
And I'll take ME2/3's graphics and sound above ME any day.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.