Favorite Music Genera?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2013, 06:02 AM
RE: Favorite Music Genera?
(06-01-2013 08:04 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(06-01-2013 07:44 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Why do so many men of respectable age and education listen to baroque music?
How about because they like it? And because it is good? Consider
Sure, I just wonder if I should start getting used to it Wink But seriously, a function of music is to reflect our inner personality, which feels good and that makes the music good. So it is one of ways how I can get to know someone. If I can understand the music, I can understand something of the person. There's even some science behind that.
My personal theory says the preference lies where/when one was incarnated Cool Of course, the main influence seems to be this incarnation, early in childhood.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2013, 06:12 AM
(08-01-2013 06:02 AM)Luminon Wrote:  My personal theory says the preference lies where/when one was incarnated Cool Of course, the main influence seems to be this incarnation, early in childhood.
Say what? Consider Care to elaborate, 'cause I don't think I got that.

But yeah, to me the music someone listens to, says A LOT about them.

Matter of fact, I didn't grow up listening to baroque music. Sure, I had some exposure to opera and mostly classical stuff, but I really got into baroque, renaissance and mediaeval music on my own, in my late teens/early twenties. It was kinda gradual and is now a full-blown love Heart

But I mean, how can you not LOVE this. If I believed in the soul, I would say this is like someone caressing your soul (and cleansing all the filth of everyday life away).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
08-01-2013, 12:47 PM
genre?

Heavy metal, mostly. Power metal. Hard rock. Classical.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
08-01-2013, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 07:50 PM by Luminon.)
(08-01-2013 06:12 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 06:02 AM)Luminon Wrote:  My personal theory says the preference lies where/when one was incarnated Cool Of course, the main influence seems to be this incarnation, early in childhood.
Say what? Consider Care to elaborate, 'cause I don't think I got that.
In my life I have to deal with woo often and I have to do it impartially, that is, not throw it out the moment I see it. When thinking about things, I try to explain them both by natural phenomena and woo, and see which one has any explanatory power.
Here, the hypothesis says that the woo idea (reincarnation) might reflect itself in a person's musical taste. For example, I like some Indian music and certain middle-eastern Indian/Arabian/Israeli vibes seem really very psychedelic and appealing to me. The same can be seen with white British guys who make this trippy music, they love India, specially the state of Goa. The more ethnic this music sounds, the whiter the DJs are. According to some esotericists, India and Britain exchanged many incarnating souls since the occupation, some kind of supernatural Erasmus program, I suppose.
Since very early age my parents took me to places like a Hindu festival or a Hare Krishna farm, so it's not like I could consider myself an uncontaminated specimen. However, several years ago I met a guy, who was really into some weird music. I mean really weird, he absolutely loved the Balcan folk music, Bulgarian I think or more to the south. Quite obscure stuff, but it really resonated with him. I could swear it was because he was incarnated there.
Another example, I've got a younger brother. One time in his teens he got by a coincidence to listen to a version of Russian hymn. It really caught him. He downloaded several versions, but he inevitably liked the most the oldest one, the most Communist one. He even asked my mom to translate him the lyrics. And he absolutely loved to listen to it for a long time on headphones or big loudspeakers, clearly in trance and caught in strong emotions. As for history, I heard that during the battle of Stalingrad everyone, including old people and teenagers were driven onto the battlefield against the Nazis to fight and die - and there were loudspeakers blasting this very version of Russian hymn to keep them fighting. So when it comes to my younger brother, there might be some explanatory power in there. Music draws on some deep emotions and the unconscious part of us.
Also, my brother was very much into guns and war, he drawn a very detailed sketch of AK-47 and even got some very real-looking and heavy airsoft replicas of the thing. And he was totally in love with Call of Duty and other WW2 games and films.
I know it's derailing the thread, but music taste and all, I think there is some indirect evidence of reincarnation, that is totally not going to be convincing to Chas at all. But I live among such phenomena. It's different judging something first hand and through the lens of material and journal evidence.

(08-01-2013 06:12 AM)Vera Wrote:  But I mean, how can you not LOVE this. If I believed in the soul, I would say this is like someone caressing your soul (and cleansing all the filth of everyday life away).
Hey, it's D minor, my favorite! And it gets real nice towards the end.
Here's something for you. Ravel's Tzigane is wonderful, but this is really what got me closer to the Classical music.

I find most classical without emotions (and I have too a lot of music with no emotions) or it's rather chaotic. I find Dax Johnson very emotional, yet structured enough. Not in any classical sense, he's way too modern, but I'd describe his music is as a storytelling, telling a story with beginning, development and an end.
Do you know anything like him?

08-01-2013, 10:14 PM
(08-01-2013 07:45 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I know it's derailing the thread, but music taste and all, I think there is some indirect evidence of reincarnation, that is totally not going to be convincing to Chas at all.

You got that right, Lumi. Coffeedrinker

It's not even indirect evidence. It's confirmation bias in neon lights with day-glo paint.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2013, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 12:21 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Favorite genre? 311!

Listed in order from old to new...

Down - 311 (Blue Album) - 1994

Flowing - Soundsystem - 1999

Wild Nights - Universal Pulse - 2011

:EDIT:

Given the nature of the forums, I can't believe I forgot about this one!

Sheep Go To Heaven, Goats Go To Hell - Prolonging the Magic - CAKE (2001)

Yep, KC is a lying douche-bag; he promised me hookers and blow, but all I got was this stupid signature...
[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
09-01-2013, 02:20 AM
(08-01-2013 07:45 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 06:12 AM)Vera Wrote:  Say what? Consider Care to elaborate, 'cause I don't think I got that.
In my life I have to deal with woo often and I have to do it impartially, that is, not throw it out the moment I see it. When thinking about things, I try to explain them both by natural phenomena and woo, and see which one has any explanatory power.
Here, the hypothesis says that the woo idea (reincarnation) might reflect itself in a person's musical taste. For example, I like some Indian music and certain middle-eastern Indian/Arabian/Israeli vibes seem really very psychedelic and appealing to me. The same can be seen with white British guys who make this trippy music, they love India, specially the state of Goa. The more ethnic this music sounds, the whiter the DJs are. According to some esotericists, India and Britain exchanged many incarnating souls since the occupation, some kind of supernatural Erasmus program, I suppose.
Since very early age my parents took me to places like a Hindu festival or a Hare Krishna farm, so it's not like I could consider myself an uncontaminated specimen. However, several years ago I met a guy, who was really into some weird music. I mean really weird, he absolutely loved the Balcan folk music, Bulgarian I think or more to the south. Quite obscure stuff, but it really resonated with him. I could swear it was because he was incarnated there.
Another example, I've got a younger brother. One time in his teens he got by a coincidence to listen to a version of Russian hymn. It really caught him. He downloaded several versions, but he inevitably liked the most the oldest one, the most Communist one. He even asked my mom to translate him the lyrics. And he absolutely loved to listen to it for a long time on headphones or big loudspeakers, clearly in trance and caught in strong emotions. As for history, I heard that during the battle of Stalingrad everyone, including old people and teenagers were driven onto the battlefield against the Nazis to fight and die - and there were loudspeakers blasting this very version of Russian hymn to keep them fighting. So when it comes to my younger brother, there might be some explanatory power in there. Music draws on some deep emotions and the unconscious part of us.
Also, my brother was very much into guns and war, he drawn a very detailed sketch of AK-47 and even got some very real-looking and heavy airsoft replicas of the thing. And he was totally in love with Call of Duty and other WW2 games and films.
I know it's derailing the thread, but music taste and all, I think there is some indirect evidence of reincarnation, that is totally not going to be convincing to Chas at all. But I live among such phenomena. It's different judging something first hand and through the lens of material and journal evidence.

(08-01-2013 06:12 AM)Vera Wrote:  But I mean, how can you not LOVE this. If I believed in the soul, I would say this is like someone caressing your soul (and cleansing all the filth of everyday life away).
Hey, it's D minor, my favorite! And it gets real nice towards the end.
Here's something for you. Ravel's Tzigane is wonderful, but this is really what got me closer to the Classical music.

I find most classical without emotions (and I have too a lot of music with no emotions) or it's rather chaotic. I find Dax Johnson very emotional, yet structured enough. Not in any classical sense, he's way too modern, but I'd describe his music is as a storytelling, telling a story with beginning, development and an end.
Do you know anything like him?
Well, if incarnation were the explanation for it (and for the record, I've never ever for once believed in it), I must be a truly evil person, who's been incarnated hundreds of times, because I love heaps of vastly different music from all over the world and from quite a few eras Tongue

Ravel is a bit too modern for me, but he is good. I know I'm gonna sound like an intellectual snob (I always doWink), but I always feel the urge to clarify (talking in general here, not necessarily to you), that I am not necessarily into classical music, or that of the Romantic period, or the ones that came afterwards. Baroque is by far my favourite period (and Italian baroque my most favourite genre). But I mean, how can anyone say there is no emotion in this (and that's just a random example):

Haven't heard of Dax Johnson (I'm usually rather wary of modern composers, but will give it a listen).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
10-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Depends on my mood. There are days where its nothing but death metal and the next ill be listening to John Lennon or Pearl Jam.
25-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Well no doubt metal. I like all subgenres except for that fake metal, Christian and satanic metals. Mainly heavy metal and hard rock. Favorite bands are Trivium, Pantera, and System of a Down.

Not a fan of stuff like TDWP.

Better to be hungry and free than fed and in chains.
25-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Well I play in a metal band, so obviously I like it heavy. My heart belongs to the blues, but anything that catches my ear I'll listen to. Can't say I've ever heard anything in the electronic genres that I liked. I tend to get edgy if I go too long without hearing a guitar. Old school rap still brings back some fun memories, and even some country is alright. Classical is always the shit, I may have to look into some of those baroque composers.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street