Favorite Quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
22-03-2010, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2010 10:54 AM by Unbeliever.)
Favorite Quotes
Not just for atheistic quotes - quotes of any kind for any reason. Post 'em here!

-----------------------

"The guitar screamed like an angel that had just discovered why it was on the wrong side."
- Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

-----------------------

Weave a circle 'round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise.
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge, "Kubla Khan"

-----------------------

Carcer stared at him, the gleam of Vimes's sudden smile more worrying than the rictus of his rage. Then metal gleamed in his hand. But Vimes already on him, grabbing the hand, slamming it again and again on John Keel's headstone until the hidden knife dropped from bleeding fingers. He dragged the man upright with both hands forced up behind his back and rammed him hard against the stone.
"See that up in the sky, Carcer?" he said, his mouth by the man's ear. "That's the sunset, that is. That's the stars. And they'll shine all the better on my lad Sam tomorrow night 'cos they won't be shining down on you, Carcer, by reason of the fact that before the dew's off the leaves in the morning I'll drag you in front of Vetinari, and we'll have the witnesses there, lots of 'em, and maybe even a lawyer for you if there's any of 'em who could plead for you with a straight face, and then, Carcer, we'll take you to the Tanty, one gallows, no waiting, and you can dance the hemp fandango. And then I'll bleedin' well go home and maybe I'll even have a hard-boiled egg."
"You're hurting!"
"You know, you're right there, Carcer!" Vimes managed to get both the man's wrists in a steel grip, and ripped the sleeve off his own shirt. "I'm hurting and I'm still doing it by the book." He wrapped the linen around the wrists a couple of times and knotted it firmly. "I'll make sure there's water in your cell, Carcer. I'll make sure you get breakfast, anything you like. I'll make sure the hangman doesn't get sloppy and let you choke to death. I'll even make sure the trapdoor is greased." He released the pressure. Carcer stumbled, and Vimes kicked his legs out from under him.
"The machine ain't broken, Carcer. The machine is waiting for you," he said, tearing a sleeve off the man's own shirt and fashioning it into a crude binding for his ankles. "The city will kill you dead. The proper wheels'll turn. It'll be fair, I'll make sure of that. Afterward, you won't be able to say you didn't have a fair trial. Won't be able to say a thing, haha. I'll see to that, too..."
- Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

-----------------------

"What kind of human creates his own policeman?"
"One who fears the dark."
"As he should," said the entity, with satisfaction.
"Indeed. But you misunderstand. I'm not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in." The lantern's light cut through the blackness. "Call me... the Guarding Dark. Imagine how powerful I must be."
- Terry Pratchett, Thud!

-----------------------

"Well, there goes paradise."
- Leonard McCoy, Star Trek

-----------------------

"It's all a joke! Everything anybody valued or struggled for... it's all a monstrous, demented gag! So why can't you see the funny side? Why aren't you laughing?"
- The Joker in Alan Moore's Batman: The Killing Joke

-----------------------

"None of you understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me!"
- Rorschach in Alan Moore's Watchmen

-----------------------

"But some of us awake in the night with strange phantasms of enchanted hills and gardens, of fountains that sing in the sun, of golden cliffs overhanging murmuring seas, of plains that stretch down to sleeping cities of bronze and stone, and of shadowy companies of heroes that ride caparisoned white horses along the edges of thick forests; and then we know that we have looked back through the ivory gates into that world of wonder which was ours before we were wise and unhappy."
- H. P. Lovecraft, "Celephais"

-----------------------

"...for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no new horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace."
-H.P. Lovecraft, "Ex Oblivione"

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2010, 06:26 PM

RE: Favorite Quotes
There are tons I could put on here but I'll just put the ones off my FB.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around every once in a while, you might miss it." -Ferris Bueller

"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it." -Winston Churchill

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
Winston Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober.”

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -J. Krishnamurti

"Ain't no sense worrying about the things you got control over 'cause if you got control over 'em, ain't no sense worrying. Ain't no sense worrying about the things you got no control over 'cause if you got no control over 'em, ain't no sense worrying." -Mickey Rivers

"I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is." -Derek Zoolander

"It's not that I'm lazy. It's that I just don't care." -Peter Gibbons

"I can get a good look at a steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."
-Big Tom Callahan

"Conservatives say teaching sex education in the public schools will promote promiscuity. With our education system? If we promote promiscuity the same way we promote math or science, they've got nothing to worry about." -Beverly Mickins

"Education: the ability to describe a beautiful woman without using your hands." -Anonymous

"A society that will trade a little liberty for a little order will lose both, and deserve neither." -John Stuart Mill
Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2010, 08:22 PM

"In the long run, we will all be dead" - John Maynard Keyes
22-03-2010, 08:46 PM
(22-03-2010 08:22 PM)New Frontier Wrote:  "In the long run, we will all be dead" - John Maynard Keyes

Wow, very inspiring.

On the note of death:
"Die, v.: To stop sinning suddenly." ~ Elbert Hubbard

"Death is a very dull, dreary affair, and my advice to you is to have nothing whatsoever to do with it." ~ W. Somerset Maugham

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." ~ Mark Twain

Enough sad stuff. How about some Epicurus?
"If God listened to the prayers of men, all men would quickly have perished: for they are forever praying for evil against one another."

"Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist. "

"It is folly for a man to pray to the gods for that which he has the power to obtain by himself."

Smart dude, but I have to drift back into religion.
"Born again?! No, I'm not. Excuse me for getting it right the first time." ~ Dennis Miller

"God made everything out of nothing, but the nothingness shows through." ~ Paul Valery

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." ~ Galileo Galilei

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" ~ Douglas Adams

Alright, this is getting too long. Enough quotes.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
22-03-2010, 09:17 PM

“God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.” - Robin Williams
22-03-2010, 09:46 PM

The time to make up your mind about people is never
22-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Lord, do not listen, said the Auditor. He stands accused of-
Death spun and caught the shapeless robe by the throat. DO YOU KNOW WHY THE PRISONER IN THE TOWER WATCHES THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS? he snarled.
Death released the robe and turned again to Azrael.
LORD, WE KNOW THERE IS NO GOOD ORDER EXCEPT THAT WHICH WE CREATE. THERE IS NO HOPE BUT US. THERE IS NO MERCY BUT US. THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS JUST US.
ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE, FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION. AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END ONE DAY.
LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN THAT WHICH WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS.
LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
- Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

- Terry Pratchett
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
23-03-2010, 04:10 PM

"Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."---Homer Simpson
24-03-2010, 07:04 AM

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
---H. Simpson
[+] 1 user Likes Grassharpper's post
24-03-2010, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2010 07:26 AM by Unbeliever.)
"You know," said Lord Vetinari after a few moments, "it has often crossed my mind that those men deserve a proper memorial of some sort."
"Oh, yes?" said Vimes in a noncommittal voice. "In one of the main squares, perhaps?"
"Yes, that would be a good idea."
"Perhaps a tableau in bronze?" said Vimes. "All seven of them raising the flag, perhaps?"
"Bronze, yes," said Vetinari.
"Really? And some sort of inspiring slogan?" said Vimes.
"Yes, indeed. Something like, perhaps, 'They Did The Job They Had To Do'?"
"No," said Vimes, coming to a halt under a lamp by the crypt entrance. "How dare you? How dare you! At this time! In this place! They did the job they didn't have to do, and they died doing it, and you can't give them anything. Do you understand? They fought for those who'd been abandoned, they fought for one another, and they were betrayed. Men like them always are. What good would a statue be? It'd just inspire new fools to believe they were going to be heroes. They wouldn't want that. Just let them be. Forever."
- Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

"All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."
REALLY? AS IF IT WERE SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little-"
YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
"So we can believe the big ones?"
YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.
"They're not the same at all!"
YOU THINK SO? said Death. THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET... AND YET YOU HUMANS ACT AS IF THERE WAS SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE WORLD BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.
"Yes, but people have got to believe that, otherwise what's the point-"
MY POINT EXACTLY.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

- Terry Pratchett
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post