"What we have here is, failure to communicate."

-The Warden, (Cool Hand Luke)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2010, 08:09 AM
RE: Favorite Quotes
That one's amazing.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
24-03-2010, 09:19 AM
It's something my dad used to say to us as kids all the time. Cool Hand Luke was his favorite movie. Truth be told, I am pretty sure the real quote is, "What WE'VE GOT here is....." but my dad said it the way I quoted it, and to me its a quote from him as much as from the movie.

Guess its time to watch it again to make sure. Any excuse will do really! LOL.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
24-03-2010, 07:20 PM

"A young man (person) who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his/her reading."

---C.S. Lewis

(I don't know quite what that means but I think he's saying read anything and everything and let you mind expand as it explores--that's my take anyway.)

Correction below--Thanks Unbeliever--again. (and Ashley for fixing it) Now I see that this guy was a real ass.
Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2010, 07:52 PM
(24-03-2010 07:20 PM)Grassharpper Wrote:  "A young man (person) who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his/her reading."

---C.S. Lewis

(I don't know quite what that means but I think he's saying read anything and everything and let you mind expand as it explores--that's my take anyway.)

No, he means the exact opposite. C. S. Lewis was the author of The Chronicles of Narnia, a series-long allegory for Christianity. He's saying that atheists aren't very well-read, and if they were, they wouldn't be atheists.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
24-03-2010, 08:04 PM
"A young man (person) who wishes to remain a sound theist cannot be too careful of his/her reading."
There, I fixed it. Tongue

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
25-03-2010, 02:40 AM
(24-03-2010 07:52 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(24-03-2010 07:20 PM)Grassharpper Wrote:  "A young man (person) who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his/her reading."

---C.S. Lewis

No, he means the exact opposite. C. S. Lewis was the author of The Chronicles of Narnia, a series-long allegory for Christianity. He's saying that atheists aren't very well-read, and if they were, they wouldn't be atheists.

Isn't it amazing how taking something out of context can influence the way it is perceived and interpreted?

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2010, 05:34 AM

(25-03-2010 02:40 AM)Juppers Wrote:  
(24-03-2010 07:52 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  

---C.S. Lewis

Isn't it amazing how taking something out of context can influence the way it is perceived and interpreted?

Therein lies the problem...it happens all too often.Sad
Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2010, 09:28 AM
my favorite quote is

"you just put it out of context"

from, now, from every religious person all over the world
25-03-2010, 02:14 PM

My favourite is (and I can't remember where I heard it):