Favorite Quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
11-11-2011, 01:05 AM
RE: Favorite Quotes
(04-11-2011 11:35 PM)bemore Wrote:  A blind man appreciates the time on a cheap watch.

'Who then remains unconquerable? He whom the inevitable cannot overcome.' Epictetus.

"In seeking to become gods we may become less then men' Paul Tillich.

'Empty vessells make the most noise" anon..

'Those who seek happiness in pleasure ,wealth,glory, power, and heroics are as naive as the child who tries to catch a rainbow and wear it as a coat' Rinpoche.

'The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. Roshi.

'Every cards a winner and every cards a loser'...Kenny Rogers The Gambler.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2011, 08:50 AM
“Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

“We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”
― Richard Dawkins

(Story of my life here.)
“Let children learn about different faiths, let them notice their incompatibility, and let them draw their own conclusions about the consequences of that incompatibility. As for whether they are ‘valid,’ let them make up their own minds when they are old enough to do so.”
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

“[Mother Teresa] was not a friend of the poor. She was a friend of poverty. She said that suffering was a gift from God. She spent her life opposing the only known cure for poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction.”
― Christopher Hitchens

“Thus, though I dislike to differ with such a great man, Voltaire was simply ludicrous when he said that if god did not exist it would be necessary to invent him. The human invention of god is the problem to begin with.”
― Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
― Stephen Hawking

“...atheism is not a conscious act of turning away from all gods. It is simply the final destination for those who think. ...you will be pleased to discover that the sky does not fall down on your head. ... if you still want to pray, you can (the success rate of your prayers is unlikely to change).”
― Guy P. Harrison

“I'm not an athiest. How can you not believe in something that doesn't exist? That's way too convoluted for me.”
― A. Whitney Brown

“I'm glad mushrooms are against the law, because I took them one time, and you know what happened to me? I laid in a field of green grass for four hours going, "My God! I love everything." Yeah, now if that isn't a hazard to our country … how are we gonna justify arms dealing when we realize that we're all one?”
― Bill Hicks

“The definition of black irony is Pro-lifers killing Doctors who do abortions”
― Bill Hicks

“I used to smoke marijuana. But I’ll tell you something: I would only smoke it in the late evening. Oh, occasionally the early evening, but usually the late evening – or the mid-evening. Just the early evening, midevening and late evening. Occasionally, early afternoon, early midafternoon, or perhaps the late-midafternoon. Oh, sometimes the early-mid-late-early morning. . . . But never at dusk.”
― Steve Martin

“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”
― Carl Sagan

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.”
― Carl Sagan

“The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.”
― Carl Sagan

“It's a lazy Saturday afternoon, there's a couple lying naked in bed reading Encyclopediea Brittannica to each other, and arguing about whether the Andromeda Galaxy is more 'numinous' than the Ressurection. Do they know how to have a good time, or don't they?”
― Carl Sagan

"You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.” -Siddhārtha Gautama
"I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.” -Lao Tzu
"...thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself..." -Jesus
11-11-2011, 11:39 AM
“Sit down before fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abysses nature leads, or you shall learn nothing”
And
"The deepest sin against the human mind is to believe things without evidence. Science is simply common sense at its best -- that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic."
-Thomas Henry Huxley

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
11-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
Douglas Adams

“Ordinary fools are all right; you can talk to them, and try to help them out. But pompous fools-guys who are fools and are covering it all over and impressing people as to how wonderful they are with all this hocus pocus-THAT, I CANNOT STAND! An ordinary fool isn't a faker; an honest fool is all right. But a dishonest fool is terrible!”
Richard Feynman
15-11-2011, 09:32 AM

"Everyone is going to hurt you. You just have to find the one worth hurting for."
-Bob Marley.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like calmyourtitsbro's post
15-11-2011, 09:39 AM
“I wish I was as invisible as you make me feel”
16-11-2011, 12:45 AM
In the beginning of the first thing, lies the secondary cause of all things, with the germ of their inevitable annihilation.

E.A.Poe

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
18-11-2011, 02:25 PM
"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence." - David Hume
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user