Favorite Sports Teams

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2017, 09:15 AM
RE: Favorite Sports Teams
(20-06-2017 08:52 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  If my then-fiancé had not been a Canadien fan, I don't think my parents would have agreed to the marriage. (I'm only half joking).

I can relate to this coming from a family of Red Sox fans Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-06-2017, 09:19 AM
(20-06-2017 09:15 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(20-06-2017 08:52 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  If my then-fiancé had not been a Canadien fan, I don't think my parents would have agreed to the marriage. (I'm only half joking).

I can relate to this coming from a family of Red Sox fans Tongue
You should try coming from a soccer mad family, and a soccer mad country, and not liking soccer but Baseball and Pro Wrestling...it doesn't do you any favours Laugh out load

Trying to find a girlfriend as a teen who would put up with my "odd" [for an English person anyway] sports obsessions was hard work.

"Whatever you say, Stone Cold Steve Austin." - Rick
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
20-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Does Slytherin quidditch count?
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
20-06-2017, 10:13 AM
(20-06-2017 09:54 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  Does Slytherin quidditch count?

Of course Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Baseball is easily my favorite sport, but right about the time I got interested (mid-1960s), the Milwaukee Braves were headed to Atlanta, and the Brewers weren't here yet (and after they got here, they sucked for the first half dozen years or so), so we really didn't have a local team to root for (Chicago doesn't count).

So for a few years, I rooted for players rather than teams. I liked the Yankees because of Mickey Mantle; I liked the Twins because of Tony Oliva; I liked the Cardinals because of Bob Gibson; etc. Once the Brewers became respectable, I warmed up to them and have been a fan ever since. That's mostly a thankless proposition, though. They've been here for almost 50 years, and have only made the playoffs 4 times (and one of those was in a strike-shortened season) and the World Series once -- and they lost the series. And in the years when they didn't make it, they usually haven't even been contenders. But I'm no fair-weather fan -- I continue to root for them.

The only other pro sport that interests me much is football, and the Packers are easier to root for than the Brewers. They were easily the best team in the NFL through most of the 1960s, then suffered two decades of mediocrity, then rebounded in the early 1990s and have been Super Bowl contenders just about every year since then, going to the big game 3 times and winning it twice. OK, they can't match New England, but they have been better than most other teams over the long run.

I don't get too excited about college sports or any of the other pro sports. Compared to the stereotypical American male, I'm a lukewarm sports fan at best.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
20-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Do any of you have any sport's rituals? My dad used to wear an old beat up Patriots sweatshirt and turn the volume down on the TV and blare the game on the radio. It helped them win ya know Tongue
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
20-06-2017, 11:33 AM
I'm a Red Sox man myself - and I'm not a sports guy whatsoever. I think they go beyond the realms of just a sports franchise here in Boston though. It's the closest thing we have to a secular religion I'd say. Watching them season after season - getting close but never winning it all until 2004; which I watched with my dad and I'll never forget. In a sense it took the pressure off and I admit I haven't been as interested since, lol. Boston lost a bit of its edge that day.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
20-06-2017, 11:35 AM
(20-06-2017 11:12 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Do any of you have any sport's rituals? My dad used to wear an old beat up Patriots sweatshirt and turn the volume down on the TV and blare the game on the radio. It helped them win ya know Tongue

A lot of people around here do that because they like the announcers on the radio better than the ones on TV.Tongue

I have no personal rituals, but a popular tradition in these parts is to tailgate before the game (cook out in the parking lot). My older brother used to know a guy who did that even at home. He had a TV in his garage, and every time the Packers played, he would watch the game on that TV, with the garage door open, and cook out before/during the game -- no matter what the weather was like. I guess it simulated being at the game for him.

My younger brother had a lot of Packer paraphernalia and memorabilia, and every time they played, he would get all that stuff out, wear all his Packer clothing, etc. and make his TV room into a sort of Packer shrine. I have to confess that I don't even watch the games on TV -- because I don't have cable, so my TV is only good for watching DVDs. If I really want to watch a game, I have to go somewhere. My brothers would be ashamed of me.Laugh out load
20-06-2017, 11:37 AM
(20-06-2017 11:33 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I'm a Red Sox man myself - and I'm not a sports guy whatsoever. I think they go beyond the realms of just a sports franchise here in Boston though. It's the closest thing we have to a secular religion I'd say. Watching them season after season - getting close but never winning it all until 2004; which I watched with my dad and I'll never forget.

Couldn't agree more Thumbsup Being a Red Sox fan is in the blood. Yes