Favorite fantasy books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2017, 04:43 PM
RE: Favorite fantasy books
(22-06-2017 08:50 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  There was a Japanese-made TV series (1978-9) shown on the BBC under the title Monkey (it was Journey to the West, presumably renamed because that would mean little or nothing to British viewers.) I have never read the book, but I did see quite a few episodes on the telly.

I've surprisingly never seen it, but I've heard good things. I'll have to track down a stream of the show.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Hi Szuchow. That would be "The Dragon Riders of Pern."

Dragons, elves, more dragons, alternate worlds, elves and more dragons, different happentracks and elves. LOL

I tend to get very involved with my books and movies. Once committed, it takes a lot for me to disapprove of the approach taken in sequels. But...don't ask me about "Spiderman" or "Superman" movies.... another story there.

I did not like the Hobbit movies, but watched and own them just because I owed it to Bilbo.

There are many books in the world, Szuchow. I don't recognize some of the ones others have named. Thank goodness we are each different!

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Find all posts by this user
22-06-2017, 05:19 PM
(22-06-2017 01:55 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(22-06-2017 12:49 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  My very favorite fantasy book is "The Hound and The Falcon" by Judith Tarr. Tad Williams' "Dragonbone Chair" trilogy is a close second. Anne MacCaffrey's Pern novels. Guy Gavial Kay's "Fionovar Tapestry" trilogy. Stephen J. Donaldson's "Mordant's Need" duo. Michael Coney's "Fang The Gnome" and its sequel, "King of the Sceptered Isle." Andre Norton's "Elvenbane" trilogy. "Maia" by Richard Adams.

I have read these books many times and enjoy them anew with each reading.

With the exception of Pern I've never heard about books you mentioned and even when it comes to said Pern I'm not sure.

Quote:I read and enjoyed Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and TLOTR trilogy in high school, but when I tried reading them again recently, I couldn't get into them. The movie trilogy of TLOTR will probably always be my very favorite. I am one of those people who think they weren't long enough and there wasn't enough extra stuff included in the extended version DVDs.

I still like book LOTR. Movies are different beast - I can watch first and third one but second is just disaster. Nearly the same with Hobbit first was good, rest, well rest is silence (and sand-worms from III part).

Last week I watched The Hobbit and LOTR, both extended versions, one per day for six days. I'm still happy with the overall results.
22-06-2017, 05:31 PM
I think the first fantasy book I read was 'The Hobbit' back in my high school hippie days. I didn't read LOTR till many years later. I enjoyed them and I like the LOTR movies though I thought 'The Hobbit' movie(s) was lacking in some areas and way too long.

When my son was young I read 'The Hobbit' to him...it was the first big book we read. I also read the Narnia Chronicles to him but we focused on the story without the religious undertones. They were the last books I read to him as he had outgrown being read to and had moved on to sports and video games. So the Chronicles have a special place in my heart.

My girls were over being read to when I tried to introduce anything deeper than Dr. Seuss. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
22-06-2017, 05:59 PM
(22-06-2017 05:19 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(22-06-2017 01:55 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  With the exception of Pern I've never heard about books you mentioned and even when it comes to said Pern I'm not sure.

I still like book LOTR. Movies are different beast - I can watch first and third one but second is just disaster. Nearly the same with Hobbit first was good, rest, well rest is silence (and sand-worms from III part).

Last week I watched The Hobbit and LOTR, both extended versions, one per day for six days. I'm still happy with the overall results.

Good Gawd....zilla, we almost agree!

22-06-2017, 06:19 PM
(22-06-2017 05:59 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  
(22-06-2017 05:19 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Last week I watched The Hobbit and LOTR, both extended versions, one per day for six days. I'm still happy with the overall results.

Good Gawd....zilla, we almost agree!

I tell people "the book is not the movie, the movie is not the book." That scares and/or confuses some people. The realities of the media are different for each.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
22-06-2017, 07:01 PM
I will say this, it really irritates me when some people get their panties all twisted over the movie departing from the book ...or comic.

Get over it, already. Do both, enjoy both. Stop bitching. Accept that the difference makes the story more interesting for intelligent viewers.

Awww..I have too much time on my hands this evening. And..it has been a hot, humid, messed up day. Rants all over the place... tsk, tsk...

22-06-2017, 07:34 PM
(22-06-2017 12:49 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Tad Williams' "Dragonbone Chair" trilogy is a close second.

...jingizu...

Tad Williams "Memory, Sorrow & Thorn" trilogy. Damn good stuff. One of my all time favorites.

amazon linky

The Dragonbone Chair
The Stone of Farewell
To Green Angel Tower

(the last is in two books, in the paperback version.)

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
22-06-2017, 09:13 PM
(22-06-2017 07:01 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  I will say this, it really irritates me when some people get their panties all twisted over the movie departing from the book ...or comic.

Get over it, already. Do both, enjoy both. Stop bitching. Accept that the difference makes the story more interesting for intelligent viewers.

Awww..I have too much time on my hands this evening. And..it has been a hot, humid, messed up day. Rants all over the place... tsk, tsk...

Oh my word... you should try convincing my wife of that! She's as big a fan of Tolkien as I am, but I can NOT manage to convince her that taking Tauriel from a footnote in the Appendices of LotR and making her a whole character in the The Hobbit movies was anything short of blasphemy!

I once mentioned how much I liked the Tauriel character, and got a half-hour lecture about it. This, from a taciturn woman who says maybe a couple of hundred words on an average day. Laugh out load

Oh, and Szuchow, if you're willing to consider "pulp" fantasy fiction from the D&D universe, I did greatly enjoy the first book of the Drizzt Do'Urden trilogy, Homeland, by R. A. Salvatore.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
23-06-2017, 01:09 AM
(22-06-2017 05:05 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Hi Szuchow. That would be "The Dragon Riders of Pern."

Dragons, elves, more dragons, alternate worlds, elves and more dragons, different happentracks and elves. LOL

Thought it was called The Chronicles of Pern but it's only one anthology if I'm not mistaken.

Neither elves nor dragons make me back from lecture.

Quote:I tend to get very involved with my books and movies. Once committed, it takes a lot for me to disapprove of the approach taken in sequels. But...don't ask me about "Spiderman" or "Superman" movies.... another story there.

I tend to oversee flaws in works of certain authors but only to certain point. Always could read some synopsis no use in wasting money.

Quote:I did not like the Hobbit movies, but watched and own them just because I owed it to Bilbo.

First was good if memory serves, rest is best not mentioned though III was even worse than II.

Quote:There are many books in the world, Szuchow. I don't recognize some of the ones others have named. Thank goodness we are each different!

It's not about us being different but what books are available. English fantasy books not being translated does not bother me that much. History books being available only in English or appearing in Poland after 15 years on the other hand piss me off. Hard to have up to date information.

(22-06-2017 07:01 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  I will say this, it really irritates me when some people get their panties all twisted over the movie departing from the book ...or comic.

Why should I accept something that I deem to be shitty? Cause you said so? You don't get to tell others what they should enjoy.

As for intelligent viewers don't be absurd - fact that person x would like movie being more faithful to the book does not make said person unintelligent.

(22-06-2017 09:13 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Oh, and Szuchow, if you're willing to consider "pulp" fantasy fiction from the D&D universe, I did greatly enjoy the first book of the Drizzt Do'Urden trilogy, Homeland, by R. A. Salvatore.

Already read it, though part when dvarves and orcs started to make peace didn't sit well with me and I didn't even bothered to read it in it's entirety.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.