Favorite fantasy books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2017, 02:04 AM
RE: Favorite fantasy books
It's a huge series and i listen to it at least once a year. The Wheel of Time. Its well worth the read. I've read and listened to the books dozens and dozens of time and always catch new things. Robert Jordan is the father of modern fantasy, he completely changed the way fantasy was written. What i admire most is how he presents societies that are both realistic and not based on modern puritan society.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BlkFnx's post
23-06-2017, 05:30 AM
(23-06-2017 02:04 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  It's a huge series and i listen to it at least once a year. The Wheel of Time. Its well worth the read. I've read and listened to the books dozens and dozens of time and always catch new things. Robert Jordan is the father of modern fantasy, he completely changed the way fantasy was written. What i admire most is how he presents societies that are both realistic and not based on modern puritan society.

Depend on what you mean by modern. Isn't Tolkien usually credited with such?

Also I wouldn't call modern society puritan, though that may be matter of where you live.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-06-2017, 10:09 AM
(23-06-2017 05:30 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Depend on what you mean by modern. Isn't Tolkien usually credited with such?

Also I wouldn't call modern society puritan, though that may be matter of where you live.
There's a great nonfiction book called a renegade history of the United States . As i said elsewhere this is something that drives me nuts about atheist. Look we pick up a lot of baggage from our own pasts. What makes you think society is any different? Christian puritanism is all over. Take darwin. Have you read darwin? Have you read darwin and compared what he said to calvin? "Nature red tooth and claw." Is a secular statement of the belief in original sin and mans fallen nature. Look I'm not a nut job who doesn't believe in evolution. I do believe that "survival of the fittest" begs the question "fittest to what?". Was the past as brutal and barbaric as we think? Did cave me knock out mates? Was modern chimp behavior as brutal as it seems to be now or was it caused by researchers? I could go on but this isn't the thread.

Back to the thread.

Tolkien is a father of fantasy but not modern fantasy. Actually he's considered a grandmaster. His work as well as the work of his contemporary peers has a distinct feel, tone, and style. Robert Jordan is the father of modern fantasy. I say this because there is a clear difference in fantasy pre-WoT and post WoT, by all the major and even most of the minor fantasy writer's were directly influenced by Jordan.

One of the more interesting things to see in fantasy is the clear division between the nearly extinct Tolkienites and the Jordanites. Jordanites tend to write richer more varied worlds (sanderson as one example.), whereas Tolkienites tend towards flat and dry (shannara).
25-06-2017, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2017 10:26 AM by Szuchow.)
(25-06-2017 10:09 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  There's a great nonfiction book called a renegade history of the United States .

There's also a great nonfiction book called Thinking the Twentieth Century. Now that we shared titles of book we though great what was the point of doing it?

Quote:As i said elsewhere this is something that drives me nuts about atheist.

Thinking about atheists as a group make me laugh. Honestly what atheists have in common is lack of belief.

Quote:Look we pick up a lot of baggage from our own pasts. What makes you think society is any different? Christian puritanism is all over.

Especially in Islamic countries. Or in China I suppose. For that matter from what little I know Scandinavia too does not seem to be puritan much.

Quote:Take darwin. Have you read darwin? Have you read darwin and compared what he said to calvin? "Nature red tooth and claw." Is a secular statement of the belief in original sin and mans fallen nature.

No. It's just a sentence saying that nature isn't pretty kittens and cuddly bunnies. You I suppose just twist it to fit with your own agenda

Quote:Look I'm not a nut job who doesn't believe in evolution.

Evolution is a fact (also a title of good book) it needs no belief.

Quote:I do believe that "survival of the fittest" begs the question "fittest to what?".

To environment perhaps?

Quote:Was the past as brutal and barbaric as we think?

Depend on how barbaric you think it was. I recommend reading Steven Pinker The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined to see what great strides society make. Past wasn't utopia.

Quote:Tolkien is a father of fantasy but not modern fantasy. Actually he's considered a grandmaster.

By whom?

Quote:His work as well as the work of his contemporary peers has a distinct feel, tone, and style.

Just like the work of any other author.

Quote:Robert Jordan is the father of modern fantasy. I say this because there is a clear difference in fantasy pre-WoT and post WoT. All the major and even most of the minor fantasy writer's were directly influenced by Jordan.

Care to support your feels? If Jordan influence is so heavy then finding proof supporting this claim shouldn't be hard.

Quote:One of the more interesting things to see in fantasy is the clear division between the nearly extinct Tolkienites and the Jordanites. Jordanites tend to write richer more varied worlds (sanderson as one example.), whereas Tolkienites tend towards flat and dry (shannara).

Is there some proof of this division, or you just go with your feels?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-06-2017, 10:46 AM
(23-06-2017 01:09 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Thought it was called The Chronicles of Pern but it's only one anthology if I'm not mistaken.

The Chronicles of Pern is a prequel anthology, and the 12th Pern title published.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
25-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Sorry, Szuchow, I forgot that your native tongue is not English. You don't have to like anything that you don't like, no matter who is writing about it. Smile

Yes...Anne MacCaffrey just kept writing and writing and then her son, Todd, took over and I stopped reading.

She teamed up with other authors for some more sci-fi leaning novels and I love them too.

A thin line between fantasy and sci-fi but one that is probably still being fought over, no doubt.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
25-06-2017, 02:47 PM
(25-06-2017 01:55 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Sorry, Szuchow, I forgot that your native tongue is not English. You don't have to like anything that you don't like, no matter who is writing about it. Smile

English indeed isn't my mother tongue but what you wrote still looks to me like "order" to enjoy thing in certain way.

Quote:Yes...Anne MacCaffrey just kept writing and writing and then her son, Todd, took over and I stopped reading.

She teamed up with other authors for some more sci-fi leaning novels and I love them too.

A thin line between fantasy and sci-fi but one that is probably still being fought over, no doubt.

Well, despite reading a little of Asimov, Dick and Lem I don't have much love for sci-fi literature. It just doesn't get to me.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-06-2017, 03:00 PM
No, it wasn't. It was just me ranting about the "panties twisted in knots" die-hards, who can't accept that their favorite story may be told differently and still be interesting to others.

Not about to order you to do or enjoy anything.

Have you read "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke? There was a mini-series... The book is better.

25-06-2017, 03:04 PM
(25-06-2017 03:00 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  No, it wasn't. It was just me ranting about the "panties twisted in knots" die-hards, who can't accept that their favorite story may be told differently and still be interesting to others.

Not about to order you to do or enjoy anything.

If you say so.

Quote:Have you read "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke? There was a mini-series... The book is better.

No, I don't think I read this one. Besides biggest names I didn't read much English language fantasy or sci-fi. Except for Masterton, who isn't really fantasy nor a big name writer, but he was one of a few which school library had.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-06-2017, 07:04 PM
I must say that I thought most e-books had been translated into most languages. I like real books, but the e-book seemed to lend itself to such translation and distribution at minimal cost.

I am sorry that isn't the case, Szuchow.