Favorite fiction titles- the good stuff

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Favorite fiction titles- the good stuff
Another thread got me thinking about the classic fiction that really tells a moving story, that makes your brain twist and grow.

List away, I need to fill the shelves, or atleast the kindle.

I'm getting ready to read Fahrenheit 451 ( again)

Your turn.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
07-09-2014, 07:41 PM
RE: Favorite fiction titles- the good stuff
(07-09-2014 07:35 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Another thread got me thinking about the classic fiction that really tells a moving story, that makes your brain twist and grow.

List away, I need to fill the shelves, or atleast the kindle.

I'm getting ready to read Fahrenheit 451 ( again)

Your turn.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Dune

Gulliver's Travels

The Complete stories of Sherlock Holmes

Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Not fiction but a kind of memoir that is funny as hell. I read it every couple of years. I have a real old copy of the book and bought a newer paperback one so I wouldn't ruin the old one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Egg_and_I

I actually have an issue like is shown complete with dust cover.

The librarian in the town where I grew up suggested it to me and I am still grateful.

'The Egg and I', is the story of how the author found herself on a remote (and I do mean remote) chicken farm after getting married. It makes me laugh and makes me cry and I love it every time.

For those old enough to remember Ma and Pa Kettle - this is the book that presented their characters to the outside world.

For me it's part nostalgia since I first read it so long ago and is so cool to read the humor that this 50s housewife put into print. Love it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
07-09-2014, 07:48 PM
These are ones that I will read over, and over.

Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
A Song of Ice and Fire by George rr Martin
Wit'ch series by James Clemens
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - this was the book that got me to love reading. It was assigned in class, and I probably read that thing five times Heart

These were just the first to come to mind. Dang I love to read Blush

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
07-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Oh gosh... well, for sure 1984 by George Orwell. A book about rebellion in the most pedestrian of ways, and then ultimately of subjugation and of a willing return to one's shackles. It is sad and beautiful and haunting. Has to be my most favorite book ever, methinks. Blush

Also Watership Down by Richard Adams. If you ever want to read a story about going home, about finding yourself, finding your place, and all the trials to be overcome along the way, you must read this.

Another of my favorites is the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons, though I will admit I have read only three of the four-book series. Still, it is an adventure of the best sort: humanity flung across the stars, inhabiting more planets than you can name off the top of your head; memorable characters, each with their own unique story and journey. Big Grin

If I think of more, I will list them later. I have to second Dune as well. Very complicated and interesting plot in that one. Wheels within wheels within wheels. Yes Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
07-09-2014, 10:05 PM
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury ... probably just about anything by Uncle Ray.

Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke ... I think numerous people are still trying to figure out how to make that one into a film.

The Razor's Edge by W Somerset Maugham ... people seem to cherish it when I give it to them. Not certain why it's stayed with me but it has.

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee ... a postcard of the world becoming a little bit bigger.

Transparent Things by Vladimir Nabokov ... anything by Nabokov. Anything.

I'll probably think of a bunch more at 4am. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
07-09-2014, 10:20 PM
(07-09-2014 07:48 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  These are ones that I will read over, and over.

Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
A Song of Ice and Fire by George rr Martin
Wit'ch series by James Clemens
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - this was the book that got me to love reading. It was assigned in class, and I probably read that thing five times Heart

These were just the first to come to mind. Dang I love to read Blush

I was going to suggest Where The Red Fern Grows too! For the same reason, it was the first book I read that I really enjoyed as a kid, I was hooked on reading after that. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
07-09-2014, 11:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 11:29 PM by EvolutionKills.)
[Image: 51KZ8h3L9iL.jpg]

Anne McCaffrey - The Dragonriders of Pern trilogy, containing Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon; the first 3 books of a huge series.

The series is fantasy but if you read past The White Dragon it quickly open up into a much larger and traditional science fiction universe once you get to the next book in chronological order, All the Weyrs of Pern.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dragonriders-P...0345340248

The Kindle version of the trilogy is $7.99

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
08-09-2014, 06:29 AM
Based on the thread title, I thought were were just talking about interesting book titles, without getting into the meat of the book. An example I thought of was a teen fiction book I read called Spanking Shakespeare. Now that's a catchy title Laugh out load

But if we're talking about meaningful stuff, Life of Pi really stuck with me, along with Ender's Game and its sequels. I also love the classics. The Count of Monte Cristo is excellent and Little Women is wonderful.

The Picture of Dorian Gray is probably my favorite book of all. <3

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
08-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M. Pirsig

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post