Favorite fiction titles- the good stuff

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2014, 09:13 AM
RE: Favorite fiction titles- the good stuff
(09-09-2014 08:02 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  my "favorite" fictional book is the bible Laugh out load

There was a series I was addicted to years ago, like...30+, the author was david eddings, and the books were series of like 5 books each, the Belgariad (1982-84), the Malloreon, the Elenium, the Tamuli...fantasy books, brilliantly written, the game of thrones type stuff but more magical.....stories so vividly written it just sucks you in...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Eddings

I dont know if I'd compare it to GoT. Its not nearly as adult and graphic. But great stories I agree. Did you ever read the books from the view of Polgara and Belgarath?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2014, 12:34 PM
(08-09-2014 10:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M. Pirsig

I like this one, too. I never could figure out whether it was fiction or autobiography or something inbetween, but I couldn't put it down once I started reading it.
09-09-2014, 01:57 PM
In my high school/college days, I was in love with Steinbeck, Hemingway, and Faulkner, and read just about everything by them. They are still among my favorites. Some specific titles:

John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
John Steinbeck, Tortilla Flat
John Steinbeck, Cannery Row

Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms
Ernest Hemingway, The First 49 Short Stories

William Faulkner, As I Lay Dying
William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
William Faulkner, Light in August
William Faulkner, Absalom, Absalom

Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man
Flannery O'Connor, Wise Blood
Flannery O'Connor, Complete Short Stories

Hemingway and O'Connor wrote some of the best short stories ever. The Faulkner books are all difficult (especially the second and fourth ones), but worth the effort. As I Lay Dying, although a strange book (the story is told by multiple narrators), is the easiest of the four to get into.

I just realized that those are all American authors. I love British literature too, but more the poetry and drama than the fiction. My favorite "British" novelist is Joseph Conrad, a Pole whose second language was English -- but he wrote magnificently in English! My favorite books of his are Heart of Darkness and Lord Jim.

Finally, I have a resistance to foreign (non-English) literature, because I think it inevitably loses something in translation. But I have enjoyed reading the major novels of Dostoevsky, I intend to read Don Quixote someday, and I recently read Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita and enjoyed it immensely.
09-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Dr. Seuss "Green Eggs and Ham."

That's still my favorite. Big Grin

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
09-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Ballroom of the Skies, John D. MacDonald

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-09-2014, 06:03 PM
(09-09-2014 09:13 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 08:02 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  my "favorite" fictional book is the bible Laugh out load

There was a series I was addicted to years ago, like...30+, the author was david eddings, and the books were series of like 5 books each, the Belgariad (1982-84), the Malloreon, the Elenium, the Tamuli...fantasy books, brilliantly written, the game of thrones type stuff but more magical.....stories so vividly written it just sucks you in...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Eddings

I dont know if I'd compare it to GoT. Its not nearly as adult and graphic. But great stories I agree. Did you ever read the books from the view of Polgara and Belgarath?

GoT is epic. It has been many years, but yes I do remember the polgara one, can't remember what it was called. I loved the characters in his books. Speaking of epic, when does the next season of GoT start?!?!? Drooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
09-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Stand on Zanzibar, John Brunner

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
10-09-2014, 02:30 PM
A Separate Peace by John Knowles
Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Also, not exactly classic, but if you like detective novels, I really enjoy the entire Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
10-09-2014, 03:13 PM
To me the thread title is asking for, not works generally, but literally favourite titles...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post