Favorite historical art

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Favorite historical art
I know we have a few artists on here. What are you favorite examples of art? I've never been a big fan of modern stuff. I primarily study paleolithic or religious art. I've got a fetish for sculptures. The Rome Pieta by Michelangelo is at the top of my list for western art. It was carved from a solid block of marble when he was only 25. It's 6.5 ft tall.

[Image: Michelangelo%27s_Pieta_5450_cropncleaned_edit.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
17-05-2013, 03:13 AM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2013 04:57 AM by earmuffs.)
RE: Favorite historical art
It's not around any more but the giant statue of Zeus at Olympia built in ancient Greece.

[Image: zeus.jpg]

It was made entirely out of ivory and it was extremely detailed.
The ivory tusks (of an elephant) were cut in half and let to soak in vinegar.
The vinegar softened the ivory and made it very malleable.
Wooden frames of a small piece of the statue would then be made up and the ivory would be layed over the frame and left to dry.
The dried pieces of ivory would then be assembled like a giant 3d jigsaw.
When it dried it was as hard as it's original form.
Piece by piece this huge detailed statue of Zeus was made like this.

It was later moved to Constantinople (modern day Istanbul) when the greeks got conquered. A private collector brought it (a rich one obviously). But the palace he kept it in, along with HEAPS of other art was burnt down tragically.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
17-05-2013, 06:21 AM
(17-05-2013 03:13 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's not around any more but the giant statue of Zeus at Olympia built in ancient Greece.

Wooden frames of a small piece of the statue would then be made up and the ivory would be layed over the frame and left to dry.

It was later moved to Constantinople (modern day Istanbul) when the greeks got conquered. A private collector brought it (a rich one obviously). But the palace he kept it in, along with HEAPS of other art was burnt down tragically.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I've never heard of that before.
17-05-2013, 06:33 AM
(17-05-2013 06:21 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 03:13 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's not around any more but the giant statue of Zeus at Olympia built in ancient Greece.

[Image: George-Washington-Zeus.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
17-05-2013, 06:58 AM
(17-05-2013 06:33 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 06:21 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Wow, that's pretty cool. I've never heard of that before.

[Image: George-Washington-Zeus.jpg]

Well, yes and no. The artist based on a classical statue of Zeus, but he wasn't depicting GW as Zeus.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
17-05-2013, 07:02 AM
(17-05-2013 06:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 06:33 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  [Image: George-Washington-Zeus.jpg]

Well, yes and no. The artist based on a classical statue of Zeus, but he wasn't depicting GW as Zeus.

I don't know about that. If it wasn't labeled and you did not know it was supposed to be Washington, I would have assumed it was a greek or roman god. Just saying.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
17-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Another example of western sculpture I like is Bernini's The Rape of Proserpina.

[Image: 10-Pluto_Proserpine-Bernini.jpg]

Apart from the classical subject and its sense of balance and motion, the reason I like it so much is because of the way the artist transformed solid rock into supple, yielding flesh. Check out this close up of Pluto's fingers pressing into Proserpina's side and hip.

[Image: tumblr_m92wc5ZqRM1r9j8fco1_500.jpg]

It boggles my mind what one man can do with a hunk of marble and a few chisels, drills, and some polishing agent.
17-05-2013, 08:38 AM
(17-05-2013 06:21 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  

Indeed.
It would have been pure white and shiny. Much like the marble statue you posted in the OP (amazing by the way), but pure white.

The same artist that made it also made a large statue (though not as grand) in the same manner of Athena. He made the Athena statue first somewhere in modern day Turkey (can't remember where) and then the city state where ever Olympus is (modern day Greece somewhere) is was all like "yo dog come make us a giant Zeus."

The Athena statue was built in an open column temple thing and could be seen for miles around (built on top of a hill). Where as the Zeus statue was built inside a temple, so you had to physically walk into the temple and then you would have been presented with this massive ivory statue. It must have been a real sight to see.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
17-05-2013, 09:14 AM
(17-05-2013 06:21 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Wow, that's pretty cool. I've never heard of that before.

It was one of the original seven wonders...
17-05-2013, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2013 10:15 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)

When we went to Vienna I saw this and spent an hour just staring at it.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon