Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else...

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Votes - 4 Average
14-12-2017, 07:17 AM
RE: Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else...
(14-12-2017 12:38 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-12-2017 10:15 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  [Image: 2DtY7gK.jpg]

Okay, y'all. I give up. What's a "big coat?" Google doesn't seem to understand my question. Do coats come with a temperature rating? How are you supposed to know which coats to buy for which climates?

It's the difference in the lining basically, thinner lining for like fall where it's chilly but not cold and winter coats with thicker lining for cold temperatures.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze

[Image: uj9MSSa.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
14-12-2017, 07:20 AM
(14-12-2017 07:17 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(14-12-2017 12:38 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Okay, y'all. I give up. What's a "big coat?" Google doesn't seem to understand my question. Do coats come with a temperature rating? How are you supposed to know which coats to buy for which climates?

It's the difference in the lining basically, thinner lining for like fall where it's chilly but not cold and winter coats with thicker lining for cold temperatures.

I have several that have zip-out liners. My favorites have the liners as stand-alone wear if you wish.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
14-12-2017, 07:29 AM
(14-12-2017 07:20 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(14-12-2017 07:17 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  It's the difference in the lining basically, thinner lining for like fall where it's chilly but not cold and winter coats with thicker lining for cold temperatures.

I have several that have zip-out liners. My favorites have the liners as stand-alone wear if you wish.

So the lining is where the down feathers are kept, and you just switch them out according to the seasonal needs.

What about a wool coat? Is that a "big coat" because it's wool, or does it also have a liner?

My strategy of ignoring my problems until they disappear never seems to work out for me. ...I'll try to get around to dealing with that in the near future.
14-12-2017, 07:35 AM
(14-12-2017 07:29 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(14-12-2017 07:20 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I have several that have zip-out liners. My favorites have the liners as stand-alone wear if you wish.

So the lining is where the down feathers are kept, and you just switch them out according to the seasonal needs.

What about a wool coat? Is that a "big coat" because it's wool, or does it also have a liner?

[Image: YNgmlTp.gif]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze

[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
14-12-2017, 07:36 AM

Okay, y'all. I give up. What's a "big coat?" Google doesn't seem to understand my question. Do coats come with a temperature rating? How are you supposed to know which coats to buy for which climates?

"Big coat" is another way of saying dress to stay warm. It doesn't necessarily have to be big, it just has to keep you warm. But, like jdog said, a lot of that comes down to lining and fill so these coats do tend to be bulkier than other winter coats that might favor fashion over function.

As far as knowing which coat to buy for which climate, I'd probably start by asking people familiar with the climate for recommendations, and then tweaking from there based on results. Some coats might have temperature ratings, but I wouldn't rely on them since they I don't think they take things like wind, what else your wearing under the coat or natural insulation (aka body fat) into account. One person could be too hot and one person could be too cold in the same coat at the same temperature based on those other factors.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
14-12-2017, 07:37 AM
(14-12-2017 07:17 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(14-12-2017 12:38 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Okay, y'all. I give up. What's a "big coat?" Google doesn't seem to understand my question. Do coats come with a temperature rating? How are you supposed to know which coats to buy for which climates?

I grew up in the northeast and I've heard them called winter coats and heavy coats but never "big coats". If anybody told me to put on my big coat I'd look at them like they were crazy.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
14-12-2017, 07:39 AM
(14-12-2017 07:37 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-12-2017 07:17 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  It's the difference in the lining basically, thinner lining for like fall where it's chilly but not cold and winter coats with thicker lining for cold temperatures.

I grew up in the northeast and I've heard them called winter coats and heavy coats but never "big coats". If anybody told me to put on my big coat I'd look at them like they were crazy.

Never heard it called big coats either but it is pretty self explanatory.

[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
14-12-2017, 07:43 AM
(14-12-2017 07:35 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(14-12-2017 07:29 AM)Aliza Wrote:  So the lining is where the down feathers are kept, and you just switch them out according to the seasonal needs.

[Image: YNgmlTp.gif]

The heaviest outerwear I own is a fleece jacket!

My strategy of ignoring my problems until they disappear never seems to work out for me. ...I'll try to get around to dealing with that in the near future.
14-12-2017, 07:46 AM

As someone who used to live in Massachusetts, let me provide you a visual Tongue

[Image: 98c22e9dac145a330c7139b44279a479--a-chri...istmas.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
14-12-2017, 07:48 AM
(14-12-2017 07:46 AM)jennybee Wrote:  

As someone who used to live in Massachusetts, let me provide you a visual Tongue

[Image: 98c22e9dac145a330c7139b44279a479--a-chri...istmas.jpg]

That' s also how the natives in Florida dress when the temperature dips down to 40f.

Big Grin

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post