Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else...

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Votes - 4 Average
24-05-2018, 06:39 AM
RE: Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else...
(24-05-2018 06:37 AM)M. Linoge Wrote:  [Image: best-fridge-ever-14287222.png]
"I know."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
24-05-2018, 01:59 PM
[Image: Yj9rKrQ.png]

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 7 users Like Shai Hulud's post
24-05-2018, 02:17 PM
[Image: n9ElpJi.png]

[Image: EOxRCsX.jpg]

[Image: idAqZzD.png]

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
28-05-2018, 11:44 AM
(07-05-2018 02:45 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(07-05-2018 07:48 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Time to slap the barbarian.

Pedant: Vikings never wore horns in their helmets.

Neither did they drink from cups made out of skulls of fallen ennemies. That's a Turko-mongol tradition.

My pedantry is stronger.

Fuck all of you. They didn't speak modern English either.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
28-05-2018, 02:19 PM
(23-05-2018 05:40 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  
(22-05-2018 07:10 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Would you by-chance be referring to a classic Mid-Atlantic accent by the high-society types in the Eastern US in the lead up to the mid-20th century? It wasn’t no accident that they all sounded a certain way:

If you don’t mind me asking, just what do you imagine “losing your accent” to sound like? As in, what’s your idea of a standard, dull-as-dirt unvarnished USain English that you’re left with when you filter out all the grits and fried hush puppies? If you believe dialects today exist on a continuum, where in the world is the origin? Hobo

I have my own ideas, but I want to know what you think.

It's difficult to express, but I would like to sound "American" without sounding like (for example) a backwoods southerner, an Appalachian hillbilly, a Boston or New York Yankee, a midwesterner talking through the nostrils, or a Jersey girl. I have a young friend in the theatre who grew up in New York and put forth a great deal of effort to lose her accent (dialect is more accurate but let's call it accent anyway as more common usage). Now when she speaks you really have no idea where in America she was raised. But when need be, she can put that "Audrey from Little Shop of Horrors" right back out there as her more natural state of voice.

Sounding like I stepped out of Mayberry is a disadvantage. I open my mouth and (some) people assume I am uneducated. Too many people assume that a southern drawl goes hand in hand with a reduced IQ, thanks to shows like The Andy Griffith Show and the Beverly Hillbillies. Sort of like the way that I lose a great deal of "value" to many people as soon as I state that I am atheist. I am still the same person I was before I opened my mouth on either count.

I worked with a voice coach briefly around 1999 to try to "lose" the southern. It didn't take, unless I was masking it with something else.

Oddly enough, I recently learned that my usual perception of what Shakespeare's actors would have sounded like in the 1500s is not at all like the movies and plays presented to me in my lifetime, and they likely would have sounded more like they came from the Appalachian mountains of NC.

I'd love to hear your accent! I married a Southern girl that intentionally lost her accent but can, at the drop of a hat, turn it on as thick as molasses! Heart

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Full Circle----Awww. Aren't you just the sweetest thing? (She said dripping with southern belle.)

How did your wife manage to drop her accent? Even my accent has an accent. I cringe when I hear it on videos of plays I've done.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
28-05-2018, 09:48 PM
[Image: ef571cd0b9900d6f76b512975762f1c7.jpg]

[Image: 3ac23c93be99ada850080ae7b753b7aa.jpg]

[Image: numb%2B2.jpg]

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 4 users Like M. Linoge's post
29-05-2018, 09:10 AM
(28-05-2018 09:48 PM)M. Linoge Wrote:  [Image: numb%2B2.jpg]

That has the potential to turn very badly, that is a Bull shark, nasty beast.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
29-05-2018, 09:11 AM
(28-05-2018 08:50 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Full Circle----Awww. Aren't you just the sweetest thing? (She said dripping with southern belle.)

How did your wife manage to drop her accent? Even my accent has an accent. I cringe when I hear it on videos of plays I've done.

She says she worked on NOT sounding like her friends and instead mimicked speech patterns on TV.

30-05-2018, 10:30 AM
[Image: 381842163_Capture_2018-05-10-18-26-34.th...313a99.png]

I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
[+] 10 users Like BnW's post