Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else...

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 4.57 Average
23-01-2016, 06:28 PM
RE: Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else...
(23-01-2016 05:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 04:59 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  That's funny because Walmart people are always funny, but it also makes me kind of mad. I HATE Valentines Day (AKA "Kiss a Woman's Ass for No Reason Day").

There is already a perfectly good day for couples to celebrate each other and their relationship in a romantic way: their anniversary. And no matter how much a man has demonstrated his love all year, if he doesn't pull out all the stops on this one arbitrary day, he's an asshole. It's extortion, and the only real winners are florists and Hallmark. Angry

Don't women you are dating get you things on Valentine's day too? I always get someone I'm dating something.

I agree with you about how materialistic Valentine's Day has become. I would much rather go do something fun together--like go to an inn, go on a backpacking trip, go to some vacation destination, or just stay in, cook a romantic dinner together, watch movies and cuddle on the couch. To me Valentine's Day is about spending time together with the one you love. Yeah, you can do that any day, but it's nice to enjoy the holiday together all the same. Big Grin

There's usually a card or something small, but expectations just aren't the same. I don't blame women for the situation though. It's a problem inherent in societally forced romance.

The expectation society has for men in relationships on Valentines Day is that they pull out their wallet, make dinner reservations, buy expensive gifts, and spend all day on YouTube looking for ideas so they can be as creatively romantic as possible because flowers, chocolate and teddy bears are just so overdone.

So, even if a woman is fine with a laid back Valentines Day (and most of the women I've dated have been) she'll still have to deal with judgement from her friends, co-workers and acquaintances when they ask "So...what did you guys do for Valentines Day? You stayed in and watched a movie? Oh...that sounds...'nice'."

So really, if you don't (as a couple) put on a full-blown, Disney style, romantic dog and pony show for Valentines Day society will judge him for being an unromantic cheap-ass and feel sorry for her - especially after they hear all about what Suzy's boyfriend did. Dodgy

Then there's the dilemma for people in new relationships. How much is too much? How much is not enough? Confused

And finally, all of the Pathetic Losers ™ who are single for Valentines Day have to spend at least a week having that fact shoved in their faces. Weeping

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2016, 06:36 PM
They're expecting some major winter storms this weekend, but watch out for lizards too.

[Image: CZXFI7GU8AAo4jj.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 14 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
23-01-2016, 07:22 PM
(23-01-2016 06:36 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  They're expecting some major winter storms this weekend, but watch out for lizards too.

[Image: CZXFI7GU8AAo4jj.jpg]

Godzilla...

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
23-01-2016, 07:55 PM
(23-01-2016 04:59 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 04:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  [Image: 1134.jpg]

That's funny because Walmart people are always funny, but it also makes me kind of mad. I HATE Valentines Day (AKA "Kiss a Woman's Ass for No Reason Day").

There is already a perfectly good day for couples to celebrate each other and their relationship in a romantic way: their anniversary. And no matter how much a man has demonstrated his love all year, if he doesn't pull out all the stops on this one arbitrary day, he's an asshole. It's extortion, and the only real winners are florists and Hallmark. Angry

Heh, gotta hand it to my wife. She wanted to get married (and did) on Valentine's day. In 35 years this Valentine's Day, I haven't managed to forget! Though I did make the mistake of buying roses on my way home from work on my first anniversary, and had to hork up $38 for a dozen, in 1982. After that, I ordered in advance and got the pre-rush prices. I only made about $10/hour in 1982. Now, the "hint" has been dropped- she's expecting a rock this year. I made a joking comment about Charlie Brown at Hallowe'en getting a rock instead of candy. I'll look up a guy I know and get her a nice juicy topaz, about 5 carats.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
23-01-2016, 08:00 PM
I married my third wife on Valentine's Day. The County Clerk made a special trip to the office to marry us, it being Saturday. Then the whole world joined in telling me my anniversary was coming. Heart
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
23-01-2016, 08:06 PM
(23-01-2016 06:28 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 05:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Don't women you are dating get you things on Valentine's day too? I always get someone I'm dating something.

I agree with you about how materialistic Valentine's Day has become. I would much rather go do something fun together--like go to an inn, go on a backpacking trip, go to some vacation destination, or just stay in, cook a romantic dinner together, watch movies and cuddle on the couch. To me Valentine's Day is about spending time together with the one you love. Yeah, you can do that any day, but it's nice to enjoy the holiday together all the same. Big Grin

There's usually a card or something small, but expectations just aren't the same. I don't blame women for the situation though. It's a problem inherent in societally forced romance.

The expectation society has for men in relationships on Valentines Day is that they pull out their wallet, make dinner reservations, buy expensive gifts, and spend all day on YouTube looking for ideas so they can be as creatively romantic as possible because flowers, chocolate and teddy bears are just so overdone.

So, even if a woman is fine with a laid back Valentines Day (and most of the women I've dated have been) she'll still have to deal with judgement from her friends, co-workers and acquaintances when they ask "So...what did you guys do for Valentines Day? You stayed in and watched a movie? Oh...that sounds...'nice'."

So really, if you don't (as a couple) put on a full-blown, Disney style, romantic dog and pony show for Valentines Day society will judge him for being an unromantic cheap-ass and feel sorry for her - especially after they hear all about what Suzy's boyfriend did. Dodgy

Then there's the dilemma for people in new relationships. How much is too much? How much is not enough? Confused

And finally, all of the Pathetic Losers ™ who are single for Valentines Day have to spend at least a week having that fact shoved in their faces. Weeping

I usually do more than just a card for a bf for Valentine's Day--but I hear what you are saying, expectations for men are different than for women.

Personally, I don't care what my co-workers think of how I spend my time with my bf whether it's on Valentine's Day or any other day. I'm a vegan atheist, I really give two fucks what people think about how I live my life. Tongue

If you have a laid back gf--she won't care that Suzy got a Disney style Valentine's Day. She would be happy with whatever day you planned for the two of you. Me personally, I like little things, thoughtful things more than a Disney style Valentine's. Little thoughtful things mean more to me than if a bf bought out the entire Valentine's section of CVS, made dinner reservations at the best restaurant in town, and bought me hundreds of dollars worth of jewelry and expensive chocolates. I have had bf's that go all out on Valentine's Day, but the best Valentine's I had was with a bf who planned a picnic on the beach while we watched the sunset and sipped on champagne. No jewelry, no candy, no teddy bears, no flowers--just us on the beach.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
23-01-2016, 09:01 PM
(23-01-2016 08:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 06:28 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  There's usually a card or something small, but expectations just aren't the same. I don't blame women for the situation though. It's a problem inherent in societally forced romance.

I usually do more than just a card for a bf for Valentine's Day--but I hear what you are saying, expectations for men are different than for women.

Personally, I don't care what my co-workers think of how I spend my time with my bf whether it's on Valentine's Day or any other day. I'm a vegan atheist, I really give two fucks what people think about how I live my life. Tongue

If you have a laid back gf--she won't care that Suzy got a Disney style Valentine's Day. She would be happy with whatever day you planned for the two of you. Me personally, I like little things, thoughtful things more than a Disney style Valentine's. Little thoughtful things mean more to me than if a bf bought out the entire Valentine's section of CVS, made dinner reservations at the best restaurant in town, and bought me hundreds of dollars worth of jewelry and expensive chocolates. I have had bf's that go all out on Valentine's Day, but the best Valentine's I had was with a bf who planned a picnic on the beach while we watched the sunset and sipped on champagne. No jewelry, no candy, no teddy bears, no flowers--just us on the beach.

Yep, if you have a partner of either gender that gets all bent out of shape because you didn't cash in a CD for the day then you have the wrong partner.

All I ever wanted was a romantic time together. One year we were pretty broke so I sent the kids to my mom's and spread a picnic blanket on the bed, put seascapes music on the cd player and made a picnic dinner with wine.

What I got was, "Oh, it's Valentine's Day... I guess you'll want me to stay up late tonight then, huh."

Sad Another reason I'm divorced.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
23-01-2016, 09:13 PM
(23-01-2016 09:01 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 08:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I usually do more than just a card for a bf for Valentine's Day--but I hear what you are saying, expectations for men are different than for women.

Yep, if you have a partner of either gender that gets all bent out of shape because you didn't cash in a CD for the day then you have the wrong partner.

All I ever wanted was a romantic time together. One year we were pretty broke so I sent the kids to my mom's and spread a picnic blanket on the bed, put seascapes music on the cd player and made a picnic dinner with wine.

What I got was, "Oh, it's Valentine's Day... I guess you'll want me to stay up late tonight then, huh."

I get that. My ex completely checked out of our rship emotionally and would buy me things to pacify me when I raised concerns. So, yeah, broke up with him.

I love this quote, which is really what I want to find in a rship.

[Image: I-don-t-want-someone-who-promises-me-the...d?size=800]
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
23-01-2016, 09:28 PM
(23-01-2016 09:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 09:01 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Yep, if you have a partner of either gender that gets all bent out of shape because you didn't cash in a CD for the day then you have the wrong partner.

I get that. My ex completely checked out of our rship emotionally and would buy me things to pacify me when I raised concerns. So, yeah, broke up with him.

I love this quote, which is really what I want to find in a rship.

[Image: I-don-t-want-someone-who-promises-me-the...d?size=800]

Yes, I have no interest in "things". I don't wear jewelry or perfume or sexy nighties (I sleep nude) and if someone buys me chocolate I expect them to sit with me and enjoy them together. I just want time and good company.

You can't take crap with you but if you leave lovely memories behind when you go, you've done alright. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
23-01-2016, 09:34 PM
[Image: 9zKLXEw.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 11 users Like yakherder's post