Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else...

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 4.57 Average
23-09-2016, 10:09 AM
RE: Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else...
(23-09-2016 08:50 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 04:03 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: azjgGOj_700b_v2.jpg]

I like mine a little dryer. Though it does give me gas...

[Image: ewh9Q7e.jpg]

It's a sublime dish.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
23-09-2016, 10:44 AM
(23-09-2016 10:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 08:50 AM)Fireball Wrote:  I like mine a little dryer. Though it does give me gas...

[Image: ewh9Q7e.jpg]

It's a sublime dish.

Frankly, it leaves me cold.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
23-09-2016, 10:56 AM
(23-09-2016 10:03 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Consuming distilled water in any form is ungood for your system.

Back in the early days of mountaineering people suffered serious dehydration ftom melting and drinking snow.

Any references on that? The only ones I find warn against eating snow because it lowers internal body temperature so it is the cold, not the content, that is the real problem.

23-09-2016, 11:16 AM
(23-09-2016 10:56 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 10:03 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Consuming distilled water in any form is ungood for your system.

Back in the early days of mountaineering people suffered serious dehydration ftom melting and drinking snow.

Any references on that? The only ones I find warn against eating snow because it lowers internal body temperature so it is the cold, not the content, that is the real problem.

Yes, eating snow would have a serious acute effect on core temperature. I think the dehydration effect is over a longer term from melted snow/ice as is - it can demineralise the gut and bugger up your electrolytes.

Or so we were told in basic survival training in the RAF. However, most of the links I can find say melted snow is OK, so long as it is clean white snow. Possibly the RAF takes no chances considering how long one might be stuck but have to keep active.

I do wonder how much air pollution might contaminate snow and partly remineralise it. But I would still steer well clear of manufactured demin or distilled water for drinking.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
23-09-2016, 11:28 AM
(23-09-2016 11:16 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 10:56 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Any references on that? The only ones I find warn against eating snow because it lowers internal body temperature so it is the cold, not the content, that is the real problem.

Yes, eating snow would have a serious acute effect on core temperature. I think the dehydration effect is over a longer term from melted snow/ice as is - it can demineralise the gut and bugger up your electrolytes.

Or so we were told in basic survival training in the RAF. However, most of the links I can find say melted snow is OK, so long as it is clean white snow. Possibly the RAF takes no chances considering how long one might be stuck but have to keep active.

I do wonder how much air pollution might contaminate snow and partly remineralise it. But I would still steer well clear of manufactured demin or distilled water for drinking.

I suppose a higher concentration of minerals in the body could result in them being leeched into distilled water in the gut but it seems like the body's own processed would get them back out before the water is disposed of. Also, the minerals and such in the food that you are (hopefully) eating along with the distilled water would slow or stop that process if it even happens. It sounds like an urban legend but I'm not a biologist or a doctor and I'm seeing arguments from both sides.

23-09-2016, 11:59 AM
(23-09-2016 10:03 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 06:24 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I suppose if you wanted to get really fancy with your ice, you could use distilled water. Consider

[Image: MH943-1222.jpg]

Consuming distilled water in any form is ungood for your system.

Okay, that one needs an explanation. Why is pure H20 problematic?

EDIT: Don't mind me, replied before I read the rest of the thread...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
23-09-2016, 12:16 PM
(23-09-2016 11:59 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Duh!

This is what one gets from making a statement based on something from decades back in one's memory. I can remember hearing it, can remember reading it in a mountaineering book. Never checked to see if it was one of those urban myths/old wag's tales that has since been debunked!

"Operate not the finger on the keyboard before the Google first engaging" as Borgie might say.

It is amazing what crap we can accumulate in a lifetime to the point where - because you have never actually had to test them - things become simply "built in" to one's world view.

[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
23-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Quoting myself:
Quote:It is amazing what crap we can accumulate in a lifetime to the point where - because you have never actually had to test them - things become simply "built in" to one's world view.

Belatedly realised the deeper implications of that! Heavy stuff.

But, since this is the fun thread let me introduce you to the anarchy of "The Young Ones" (if you have not already met them)where The Hippy's tag line was "Heavy, man."

23-09-2016, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2016 01:52 PM by onlinebiker.)
(23-09-2016 11:59 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

EDIT: Don't mind me, replied before I read the rest of the thread...

You can drink distilled water with no ill effects , other than the flat, horrid taste..

You will dehydrate from trying to melt snow with your body heat... If u use a fire, no problem providing the air pollution isn't too high.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-09-2016, 04:41 PM
[Image: 1474592935127.jpeg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.