Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else...

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 4.57 Average
09-10-2016, 08:56 PM
RE: Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else...
(09-10-2016 08:33 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 11:29 AM)yakherder Wrote:  [Image: j4GPpbu.jpg]

Uh, they do have shields...

[Image: Vc4p647.jpg]

[Image: VSD_egvv.jpg]

Debatable. Did you ever see an actual shield flare up in the movies? I never did. It always looked like it hit straight on the hull of the ships. X-Wings supposedly have shields as well and they died instantly when hit with the tiniest amount of laser fire.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2016, 09:04 PM
(09-10-2016 08:56 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 08:33 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Uh, they do have shields...

Debatable. Did you ever see an actual shield flare up in the movies? I never did. It always looked like it hit straight on the hull of the ships. X-Wings supposedly have shields as well and they died instantly when hit with the tiniest amount of laser fire.

"Angle the deflector shields!" First movie.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2016, 09:07 PM
[Image: CuXzx5PWIAA09Mh.jpg:large]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
09-10-2016, 09:08 PM
(09-10-2016 09:04 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 08:56 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Debatable. Did you ever see an actual shield flare up in the movies? I never did. It always looked like it hit straight on the hull of the ships. X-Wings supposedly have shields as well and they died instantly when hit with the tiniest amount of laser fire.

"Angle the deflector shields!" First movie.

I know that there was all sorts of talk and references to shields but I never actually saw any shield action going on.

In Star Trek you actually see the shields flickering as they stop the enemy fire from hitting the hull.
09-10-2016, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2016 09:38 PM by EvolutionKills.)

Nope, not debatable. Ever play the games?

[Image: 1787547-gc_swrs2.jpg]

Rogue Squadron had you defeating Star Destroyers by using Y-Wing bombers and B-Wing heavy attack craft, and your first target was the shield generators. Plus you could play as a number of different ships, and the aforementioned Y-Wing and B-Wing ships had very robust shields, X-Wings were balanced, and A-Wings traded shield strength for maneuverability. At the far end of that spectrum was the TIE Fighter which had no shields, and relied upon extreme maneuverability, massive numbers, and capitol ship support.

Plus, the deflector shield getting knocked out on Queen Amidala's ship is sorta an important thing that happens. You don't see a shield flare up, you just see the laser fire impact around the ship.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
09-10-2016, 09:37 PM

They were the veritable ford pinto from the future.
09-10-2016, 09:50 PM
(09-10-2016 09:37 PM)skyking Wrote:  They were the veritable ford pinto from the future.

...which was somehow long ago....

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
09-10-2016, 10:07 PM
(09-10-2016 09:34 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 08:56 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Debatable. Did you ever see an actual shield flare up in the movies? I never did. It always looked like it hit straight on the hull of the ships. X-Wings supposedly have shields as well and they died instantly when hit with the tiniest amount of laser fire.

Nope, not debatable. Ever play the games?

[Image: 1787547-gc_swrs2.jpg]

Rogue Squadron had you defeating Star Destroyers by using Y-Wing bombers and B-Wing heavy attack craft, and your first target was the shield generators. Plus you could play as a number of different ships, and the aforementioned Y-Wing and B-Wing ships had very robust shields, X-Wings were balanced, and A-Wings traded shield strength for maneuverability. At the far end of that spectrum was the TIE Fighter which had no shields, and relied upon extreme maneuverability, massive numbers, and capitol ship support.

Plus, the deflector shield getting knocked out on Queen Amidala's ship is sorta an important thing that happens. You don't see a shield flare up, you just see the laser fire impact around the ship.

Sorry, I shoulda been more clear. I was talking about the original Star Wars trilogy. Yeah, I've played a lot of the games. The X-Wing/TIE Fighter series was a huge part of my early gaming days, and those definitely had shields. Shield management was an important part of those games. The prequel trilogy definitely showed them in action too. However, there is no visual indication of shields in the original trilogy. I always found it odd.
09-10-2016, 10:11 PM
Just to show you how old my balls are: Here's one of the first Star Wars games I played.

That shield icon to the mid-right of the screen was the most important thing in the cockpit.
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
10-10-2016, 03:16 AM

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post