Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else...

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 4.57 Average
30-07-2017, 04:03 PM
RE: Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else...
In our business we run across poisonous spiders several times a year. I have been bitten by a brown recluse (twice) but not by a black widow. Yet.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2017, 04:35 PM
(30-07-2017 04:03 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  In our business we run across poisonous spiders several times a year. I have been bitten by a brown recluse (twice) but not by a black widow. Yet.

I volunteer at a wolf breeding and research center. They use WWII bunkers for storage. Most haven't been opened in decades, but I get into one of the regularly. One day while waiting on a truck I counted 32 black widows. I started wearing leather gloves after that.

The really cool bunkers have "PETN only" on the door, and they're really small.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2017, 07:02 PM
What does PETN stand for?

"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
30-07-2017, 07:33 PM
(30-07-2017 07:02 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  What does PETN stand for?

Pentaerythritol tetranitrate (PETN), also known as PENT, PENTA, TEN, corpent, penthrite (or—rarely and primarily in German—as nitropenta), is the nitrate ester of pentaerythritol, and is structurally very similar to nitroglycerin.
Pentaerythritol tetranitrate - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentaeryth...tranitrate
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2017, 07:55 PM
My wife was envomenated by a black widow spider while gardening, many years ago. The only venomous spiders with fangs that can penetrate skin in California are the black widows. We don't really see the brown recluse here. We do see the cosmopolitan brown widow, but their fangs aren't long enough or strong enough to penetrate human skin. She was sick as hell for a month. I fortunately was able to take the time off in those days to help her out at home. Made the worst flu you ever had seem like a cakewalk. I even had to help her into the tub to give her a bath.
30-07-2017, 07:57 PM
(30-07-2017 04:03 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  In our business we run across poisonous spiders several times a year. I have been bitten by a brown recluse (twice) but not by a black widow. Yet.

If you didn't have a really bad reaction, you are lucky. I've seen where people have had limbs amputated, etc., from the effects of those things' venom.
30-07-2017, 09:13 PM
(30-07-2017 07:57 PM)Fireball Wrote:  

If you didn't have a really bad reaction, you are lucky. I've seen where people have had limbs amputated, etc., from the effects of those things' venom.

Oh I definitely had bad reactions. I was a lot younger then. About 16 the first time. Twenty-something the second time. I still have a scar from the first bite 40+ years later. I seriously doubt I could handle another round at my age.

And BTW, most of the black widows we've found inside have been behind washer/dryers. Be aware of that people, whenever you need to move one.

30-07-2017, 10:23 PM
(30-07-2017 09:13 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  
(30-07-2017 07:57 PM)Fireball Wrote:  If you didn't have a really bad reaction, you are lucky. I've seen where people have had limbs amputated, etc., from the effects of those things' venom.

Oh I definitely had bad reactions. I was a lot younger then. About 16 the first time. Twenty-something the second time. I still have a scar from the first bite 40+ years later. I seriously doubt I could handle another round at my age.

And BTW, most of the black widows we've found inside have been behind washer/dryers. Be aware of that people, whenever you need to move one.

When I lived in Vegas I'd have to clean the black widows out of the corners of the fence in the yard every few days to make sure my dog didn't get into them. Never had an incident, though.

I did witness two bark scorpion stings, though. One when a soldier I was training with, while camping, stuck his foot in his boot without checking first and found a nasty surprise and another when a girl I worked with turned on a ceiling fan that had a scorpion hidden on top of one of the blades and it was launched into her face. Bark scorpion stings are rarely dangerous, but they are extremely painful. The guy who had one on his foot said it hurt so bad be wanted to cut it off.

'Murican Canadian
30-07-2017, 10:55 PM
(30-07-2017 10:23 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(30-07-2017 09:13 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Oh I definitely had bad reactions. I was a lot younger then. About 16 the first time. Twenty-something the second time. I still have a scar from the first bite 40+ years later. I seriously doubt I could handle another round at my age.

When I lived in Vegas I'd have to clean the black widows out of the corners of the fence in the yard every few days to make sure my dog didn't get into them. Never had an incident, though.

I did witness two bark scorpion stings, though. One when a soldier I was training with, while camping, stuck his foot in his boot without checking first and found a nasty surprise and another when a girl I worked with turned on a ceiling fan that had a scorpion hidden on top of one of the blades and it was launched into her face. Bark scorpion stings are rarely dangerous, but they are extremely painful. The guy who had one on his foot said it hurt so bad be wanted to cut it off.

Around here in southern California, there is a routine "spider check", before we move anything, including inside the house. Dodgy Those shits are everywhere, especially in warm weather. I've seen them span 3+ inches. They actually have a smell to them that I can detect, I've encountered them enough. Not sure how to describe it, though. We have long-bodied cellar spiders here as well, which some people call "daddy long-legs". I encourage their presence, as they compete, and if there are enough around, they beat out the black widows for the food available. They are more poisonous than black widows, but their fangs can't penetrate human skin. Thumbsup
31-07-2017, 01:24 AM
[Image: 1501255247-20170728%20(1).png]

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post