Favorite recreational substance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2016, 07:49 AM
RE: Favorite recreational substance
(18-08-2016 03:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-08-2016 02:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  5-MeO-DMT and bufotenin

I'm thinking of changing my moniker to ToadLicker 'cause there's so much I could do with that.

If a toad was sitting on someone's boot you could be a Toadlicker and a Bootlicker all at the same time. Yes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
19-08-2016, 11:07 AM
As one who has never dabbled in "recreational" substances this thread has been rather enlightening.
19-08-2016, 11:17 AM
(19-08-2016 11:07 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  As one who has never dabbled in "recreational" substances this thread has been rather enlightening.

What did you take from it? Just curious.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
19-08-2016, 11:17 AM
Man, oh man....

My first experience with drugs was when I woke up with a fever on a test day when I was fifteen, and all I could find was tylenol pm. Luckily, the class I was testing in was early, so I wasn't fighting sleep and those damned waterfall visions until later in the day.

Got into weed a couple of years later, and haven't gone more than a month without the Master of Molecules since. Smokin

Got into shrooms and acid after that. Tried mescaline once, loved it, haven't seen any since.

I took ecstasy for a while (for those who've forgotten, it's a designer drug using MDMA as a base, usually some kind of stimulant mixed in, pressed into a little tab). I made myself quit, realizing that I liked it too much and was feeling depressed when I didn't have it.

Tried meth once, decided that I didn't really like it after the 8th hour of tweeking. Tried coke a few times. It was okay, just nothing special enough to warrant eighty dollars per gram.

Tried opium once. It was pretty good at first, and had a great smell. To this day, opium is still my favorite smell, but the comedown made me feel suicidal. Plus, it made my shit blue.

Never got into popping pills much, though I would take the occasional painkiller. Benzos just made me drowsy and forgetty, possibly klepty.

Lots and lots of alcohol, trying to keep that under control now.

Nicotine is still an old friend of mine.

Yep, I've had my fair share of drugs.

No regerts.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
19-08-2016, 12:09 PM
(19-08-2016 11:07 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  As one who has never dabbled in "recreational" substances this thread has been rather enlightening.

I'm the same way. I take little interest in drugs. I really don't understand the appeal, I really don't.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-08-2016, 12:53 PM
I dabbled a little in my younger days. The best trip I had was on mushrooms, a local variety that we used to pick by the bucketful. I took ecstasy once. It made me thirsty so drank several beers and two bottles of champagne (was a new years party) and talked non stop for 24 hours. Alcohol is my main vice, especially a good whiskey.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
19-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Quote:I'm the same way. I take little interest in drugs. I really don't understand the appeal, I really don't.

That's probably a good thing, but...speaking as a person who dabbled fairly heavily as a teenager, stopped for 30 years, gained some medical knowledge, (EMT certification) and then dabbled again- smaller dabbles- as a retiree...drugs are very misunderstood by society at large.

Humans chase euphoria. We just do. Drugs and alcohol have been around since time began, it seems. Heck, even elephants drink alcohol!

Unfortunately, our brains are hardwired AGAINST euphoria. Anything you take to achieve euphoria will stop working, without a stronger dose, anyway, eventually. We are just not wired to spend much time in a euphoric state.

I think people who use drugs solely to escape a bad situation or a bad emotion or a bad memory, are setting themselves up for a crash, and potentially a fatal one. Drugs lie to people who see it as an escape hatch- it changes nothing, although your behavior on drugs may change your situation for the worse, and it often does.

But I also believe- and much of society disagrees and holds up a crucifix in my face if I say this aloud- that there is a healthy way to use most drugs recreationally. I don't mean they are necessarily good for you, but that, properly utilized, they can reduce stress and allow relaxation, while causing little if any harm- and face it, many of the things we do are harmful, like processed foods and sugar and caffeine and television and cell phones and certainly...alcohol.

Remove the stigma, and many drugs, if used intelligently (That is not an oxymoron) can broaden your thinking, and give you a new perspective on things. They aren't miracle drugs, you aren't going to be able to play piano like Mozart just because you popped some X...but if you already play piano, some versions of "high" may allow you to relax your musical inhibitions and explore in ways you never have before.

I consider some drugs just inherently bad. Crack, Meth, Heroin, for example. Either the effects are just terrible, or the risk of serious addiction is just too high to be playing with them. This is my take, others feel differently, and may be able to handle them.

The media and government have people so incredibly brainwashed when it comes to drugs...it blows my mind. Almost EVERYTHING you have been told about marijuana since the 50's is an outright, no-way-to-defend-it, LIE. It is NOT addictive, it is NOT a hallucinogen, it is NOT going to make you rape white women and play bad jazz. It just mellows you out. It has proven anti-carcinogen effects. Although smoking is not great for you- smoking anything has bad effects, even burning wood or incense- taking it as an edible, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to prove it does any harm whatsoever. There has NEVER been a death from marijuana overdose. Look it up. Think of all the people who smoke pot, and think about how long people have been smoking pot. Yet NOT ONE REPORTED DEATH FROM MARIJUANA OVERDOSE. EVER. Literally, more people have died from a Dr. Pepper overdose. And this is a schedule 1 drug????? RolleyesFrusty Seriously- doctors estimate that you would have to take 30,000 times the standard amount of marijuana you use to get high, to even be near an overdose state. Again...google it.

If you research Mescaline, (peyote), which the native americans have been using for millennia, you'll find that it is not addictive, either. They have a really difficult time attributing ANY damage to the human body to Mescaline. I don't know if it has any beneficial effects, organically, but research into it is always slanted and biased, so I don't know if we'll ever know.

Personally, I used drugs at the good times of my life. I used them to enhance my feeling of serenity or my feeling that I had life by the tail and planned to ride it until it dropped. I never had an addiction problem, I was never arrested or charged with anything drug related, I never damaged my relationships, I never stole to support my habit..heck, I never had a habit! Just a recreational ride. Like going on a roller coaster.

I'm not trying to convince anyone, you do what feels right to you. But if you think of all the ways you've been lied to about politics, and religion, and the governments motivations...well, it makes sense that what you've been told about drugs might be a little off, too...yes?

Rant over. Thanks for listening. Cool
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
19-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Does food count as a recreational substance?
19-08-2016, 01:13 PM

I'm curious- and Dom asked, as well- what do you take away from this thread? How did it enlighten you? I'm not "poking the bear" here, I really am just curious what this thread has taught you. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
19-08-2016, 01:14 PM
(19-08-2016 01:12 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Does food count as a recreational substance?

It does for me! I'm hitting the gym and a diet to get back down to my normal 230 from this cheeseburger-induced 245...Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post