Favorite recreational substance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2016, 10:09 AM
RE: Favorite recreational substance
(19-08-2016 03:18 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:Afraid I might like them a little too much.

I missed this the first read...that's a smart thing to fear. I never had a problem with drugs themselves, but I was a teenager in the early 80's and a guitar-playing metal head. I'm a pretty good guitar player, and I seriously considered heading to LA to wander the strip until I was noticed and became a part of a heavy metal band...but I knew, without a doubt, that I would self destruct in that environment. I'd be lucky to make the 27 club. It was frustrating to just let it go, because I've played on a big stage, and making your guitar scream through a wall of Marshall stacks...talk about Guitar God. You feel like you can break the world in half. Add 50,000 screaming fans and it's an ego boost like no other on earth. I still get chills. Banana_zorro

I was an avid guitar player until I watched dimebag get shot almost 12 years ago.

I just picked it up again about a year ago and have been using it to spend some quality bonding time with my kids.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2016, 01:13 PM
(22-08-2016 10:09 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 03:18 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I missed this the first read...that's a smart thing to fear. I never had a problem with drugs themselves, but I was a teenager in the early 80's and a guitar-playing metal head. I'm a pretty good guitar player, and I seriously considered heading to LA to wander the strip until I was noticed and became a part of a heavy metal band...but I knew, without a doubt, that I would self destruct in that environment. I'd be lucky to make the 27 club. It was frustrating to just let it go, because I've played on a big stage, and making your guitar scream through a wall of Marshall stacks...talk about Guitar God. You feel like you can break the world in half. Add 50,000 screaming fans and it's an ego boost like no other on earth. I still get chills. Banana_zorro

I was an avid guitar player until I watched dimebag get shot almost 12 years ago.

I just picked it up again about a year ago and have been using it to spend some quality bonding time with my kids.

Yeah, that was rough. I grew up playing with Darrel and Vinnie, they lived one street over from my grandma, who I used to visit every summer. I only saw them once as adults, they got me back stage for old time's sake at a Pantera gig, but it was still a blow. Darrel was one of those people who just seemed so ALIVE, it didn't seem possible he was gone. To be honest, I never cared for Vince that much, so at first I was pissed that the guy didn't shoot the drummer instead, but that wasn't cool, just a knee-jerk. Bad night. Seriously bad night. I didn't follow them as damage plan, so I found out on the radio...just blew me away.
22-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Chocolate... yum.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
22-08-2016, 02:43 PM
(19-08-2016 01:10 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Almost EVERYTHING you have been told about marijuana since the 50's is an outright, no-way-to-defend-it, LIE. It is NOT addictive [...]

Not so. More than 9% of regular adult marijuana users will become addicted and suffer withdrawal symptoms. That figure rises to 17% for users who smoke regularly beginning as teenagers.

And it IS addictive for certain neurological profiles. See THIS.

Additionally, Dr. Nora Volkow, director of the US National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), conducted a study that found that the brains of marijuana abusers have a decreased response to dopamine. When given a chemical, methylphenidate, that caused dopamine levels to rise in the brain, the marijuana users didn’t respond as strongly or feel as high as nonusers. And the more blunted their response to the methylphenidate, the more negative emotions they felt, including irritability, anxiety, depression, and aggressiveness.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
22-08-2016, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2016 03:59 PM by The Dark One.)
(22-08-2016 02:43 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 01:10 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Almost EVERYTHING you have been told about marijuana since the 50's is an outright, no-way-to-defend-it, LIE. It is NOT addictive [...]

Not so. More than 9% of regular adult marijuana users will become addicted and suffer withdrawal symptoms. That figure rises to 17% for users who smoke regularly beginning as teenagers.

And it IS addictive for certain neurological profiles. See THIS.

Additionally, Dr. Nora Volkow, director of the US National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), conducted a study that found that the brains of marijuana abusers have a decreased response to dopamine. When given a chemical, methylphenidate, that caused dopamine levels to rise in the brain, the marijuana users didn’t respond as strongly or feel as high as nonusers. And the more blunted their response to the methylphenidate, the more negative emotions they felt, including irritability, anxiety, depression, and aggressiveness.

Yes, I grant you that that study exists...but I have found many that dispute everything in there. Who are you going to believe? Damned if I know. The most recent studies I have read cannot find ANY link to addiction, and are finding that regular use actually encourages brain cell development, as well as having anti carcinogenic properties.

When it comes to it, for me, I have to go with personal experience. I used pot for two years pretty much daily. When I left for the Air Force, I quit. No problems, no withdrawal, no cravings. So based on my experience, I will go with the study results that fit. I'll find that study- or a couple- and reference them here.

EDIT:The first study was led by Ismael Galve-Roperh of the Centro de Investigacion Biomedica en Red sobre Enfermedades Neurodegenerativas (CIBERNED), Instituto de Universitario de Investigacion en Neuroquımica (IUIN) and Instituto Ramon y Cajal de Investigacion Sanitaria (IRYCIS)

Quote:researchers made a groundbreaking discovery that would forever discredit the myth that marijuana causes brain damage. What they found was an opposite effect. That is, THC – the main chemical in marijuana and the reason why users get ‘high’ – can actually cause new brain cells to grow.

The process of brain growth is called neurogenesis and does not usually improve with drug use. Marijuana use is a different story, explained Xia Zhang, M.D, Ph.D., associate professor at the University of Saskatchewan and lead author of the study:

“Most ‘drugs of abuse’ suppress neurogenesis. Only marijuana promotes neurogenesis.”

Still, THC is not the only chemical found in marijuana and, eight years later, a team from Brazil is giving marijuana users more reason to celebrate. Their study, published in the July issue of The International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology, shows that cannabidiol (CBD) can help your brain grow too.

Quote:Dr. Elders also said on CNN, marijuana is nontoxic. You can fatally overdose on alcohol, heroin or cocaine, but the only way a dose of marijuana will kill you is if someone crushes you under a bale of it.

There is controversy over the possibility of physical addiction, but even those who believe it admit- as you said- that it's a very low percentage of people who are affected. Psychological addiction does occur to some extent, but people get psychologically addicted to tv programs or their dog. To me, it isn't relevant, as it has more to do with a person's mental state than the chemical composition of marijuana.

Even if it is true that there is a physical addiction, it is very very mild, so it's a non-issue other than as a technicality, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:It looks like nicotine withdrawal,” says Carl Hart, associate professor of clinical neuroscience at Columbia University, who has studied marijuana withdrawal. “You can actually die from alcohol withdrawal. Heroin withdrawal you can’t really die from; it’s more like the flu. Marijuana withdrawal is annoying, but it isn’t life threatening.”

Quote:Mikurya found Cannabis to be non habit forming as well…

“.. . there is positively no evidence to indicate the abuse of cannabis as a medicinal agent or to show that its medicinal use is leading to the development of cannabis addiction. Cannabis at the present time is slightly used for medicinal purposes, but it would seem worthwhile to maintain its status as a medicinal agent for such purposes as it now has. There is a possibility that a re-study of the drug by modern means may show other advantages to be derived from its medicinal use.”

Quote:When human subjects were administered daily oral doses of 180-210 mg of THC – the equivalent of 15-20 joints per day – abrupt cessation produced adverse symptoms, including disturbed sleep, restlessness, nausea, decreased appetite, and sweating. The authors interpreted these symptoms as evidence of physical dependence. However, they noted the syndrome’s relatively mild nature and remained skeptical of its occurrence when marijuana is consumed in usual doses and situations. 1 Indeed, when humans are allowed to control consumption, even high doses are not followed by adverse withdrawal symptoms. 2

Quote:Signs of withdrawal have been created in laboratory animals following the administration of very high doses. 3 Recently, at a NIDA-sponsored conference, a researcher described unpublished observations involving rats pretreated with THC and then dosed with a cannabinoid receptor-blocker. 4 Not surprisingly, this provoked sudden withdrawal, by stripping receptors of the drug. This finding has no relevance to human users who, upon ceasing use, experience a very gradual removal of THC from receptors.

Quote:The most avid publicizers of marijuana’s addictive nature are treatment providers who, in recent years, have increasingly admitted insured marijuana users to their programs. 5 The increasing use of drug-detection technologies in the workplace, schools and elsewhere has also produced a group of marijuana users who identify themselves as “addicts” in order to receive treatment instead of punishment.

Quote:Less addictive than caffeine

Source Dr. Jack E. Henningfield of the National Institute on Drug Abuse and Dr. Neal L. Benowitz of the University of California at San Francisco ranked six psychoactive substances on five criteria.

Withdrawal — The severity of withdrawal symptoms produced by stopping the use of the drug.
Reinforcement — The drug’s tendency to induce users to take it again and again.
Tolerance — The user’s need to have ever-increasing doses to get the same effect.
Dependence — The difficulty in quitting, or staying off the drug, the number of users who eventually become dependent
Intoxication — The degree of intoxication produced by the drug in typical use.
The tables listed below show the rankings given for each of the drugs. Overall, their evaluations for the drugs are very consistent. It is notable that marijuana ranks below caffeine in most addictive criteria, while alcohol and tobacco are near the top of the scale in many areas.

Quote:Alcoholism

In December 2009 new findings emerged as to the benefit of cannabis as a treatment for alcoholism:

Substituting cannabis in place of more harmful drugs may be a winning strategy in the fight against substance misuse. Researchpublished in BioMed Central’ open access Harm Reduction Journal features a poll of 350 cannabis users, finding that 40% used cannabis to control their alcohol cravings, 66% as a replacement for prescription drugs and 26% for other, more potent, illegal drugs.

Amanda Reiman, from the University of California, Berkeley, USA, carried out the study at Berkeley Patient’s Group, a medical cannabis dispensary. She said, “Substituting cannabis for alcohol has been described as a radical alcohol treatment protocol. This approach could be used to address heavy alcohol use in the British Isles – people might substitute cannabis, a potentially safer drug than alcohol with less negative side-effects, if it were socially acceptable and available”

The point of my, err, rant, was about destroying beliefs many have that were fostered by things like Reefer Madness, Laughat...I will admit the possibility that I am technically in error, but as far as RW goes, it isn't much of any issue, if any. Cool
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
22-08-2016, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2016 06:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-08-2016 01:09 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I haven't touched acid since the early 80's, and doubt I would at this stage of my life, ....

Think I might do it again come end game. Might as well go out trippin' my balls off.

#sigh
22-08-2016, 06:46 PM
I have to pretty much be dying before I'll so much as touch an aspirin. I'm weird like that.

Never been drunk. Never experimented with anything. Never felt the need to. The best I've got, both of which have been mentioned, are caffeine and adrenaline Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
22-08-2016, 06:52 PM
(18-08-2016 02:25 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Do hookers qualify as "substance"?

Hypothetically, I mean.

Shy

Have you ever abused one? As in substance?
22-08-2016, 06:55 PM
I was 2 days without money and had no coca cola and was I suffering! Talk about withdrawal!
Damn!
22-08-2016, 07:10 PM
(22-08-2016 06:46 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I have to pretty much be dying before I'll so much as touch an aspirin. I'm weird like that.

Never been drunk. Never experimented with anything. Never felt the need to. The best I've got, both of which have been mentioned, are caffeine and adrenaline Big Grin

Adrenalin is hugely addictive. It's not my thing, but just watching friends who love to get their juices flowing - it qualifies as drug in my book.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man