Favorite recreational substance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2016, 07:20 PM
RE: Favorite recreational substance
(22-08-2016 02:43 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 01:10 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Almost EVERYTHING you have been told about marijuana since the 50's is an outright, no-way-to-defend-it, LIE. It is NOT addictive [...]

Not so. More than 9% of regular adult marijuana users will become addicted and suffer withdrawal symptoms. That figure rises to 17% for users who smoke regularly beginning as teenagers.

If by withdrawal symptoms you mean an interminable state of boredom and apathy and ennui then yes. But since that's pretty much my normal state I'm not sure they count as withdrawal symptoms. No other effects were noticed. No uncontrollable cravings. No particular cravings at all. Just the usual malaise and melancholy.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-08-2016, 09:06 PM
(19-08-2016 11:07 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  As one who has never dabbled in "recreational" substances this thread has been rather enlightening.

Well, that blows my theory as to the meaning of your user name.

Big Grin

(22-08-2016 06:52 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(18-08-2016 02:25 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Do hookers qualify as "substance"?

Hypothetically, I mean.

Shy

Have you ever abused one? As in substance?

Use =/= Abuse

Blush

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-08-2016, 11:38 PM
(22-08-2016 06:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 01:09 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I haven't touched acid since the early 80's, and doubt I would at this stage of my life, ....

Think I might do it again come end game. Might as well go out trippin' my balls off.

I loved acid back in the day...if the doc said I had 6 months to live, I would most definitely take a long, heavy metal ride...probably try a few combinations I thought were just a little too risky but that sounded very interesting, too...Smokin
22-08-2016, 11:43 PM
Quote:I was an avid guitar player until I watched dimebag get shot almost 12 years ago.

I just picked it up again about a year ago and have been using it to spend some quality bonding time with my kids.

I feel really lucky, I taught 2 of my 3 kids to fly, private licenses both, and two of the three to play guitar. Many hours over many years spent together, and skills they will have all their lives, that will make them think of me. I really dig that. Big GrinCool
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
22-08-2016, 11:58 PM
(22-08-2016 06:46 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I have to pretty much be dying before I'll so much as touch an aspirin. I'm weird like that.

Never been drunk. Never experimented with anything. Never felt the need to. The best I've got, both of which have been mentioned, are caffeine and adrenaline Big Grin

I'm still a little annoyed with you for deceiving me about herding yaks, but...to each his own, brother. I have neither pressured anyone to try drugs or alcohol nor condemned them for using either. I think people who avoid their problems by indulging are headed for trouble, so I have a personal rule that I only ever got high when I was already feeling good. I might get drunk with some friends after something bad happened, but never if I was feeling depressed or angry beyond that incident. Of course, I stopped everything for nearly 30 years while flying, so I may be a tainted sample, but it seems as if my policy has kept me out of any sort of trouble. Cool

I spent my life chasing experiences...and I figured these "trips" were experiences just like racing or rock climbing or hang gliding or skydiving...especially with older brothers who told me stories about the summer of love, and the decade leading up to it.
Shocking I heard some stories that I really wanted to try for myself. Yes
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
23-08-2016, 12:12 AM
(22-08-2016 07:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-08-2016 06:46 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I have to pretty much be dying before I'll so much as touch an aspirin. I'm weird like that.

Never been drunk. Never experimented with anything. Never felt the need to. The best I've got, both of which have been mentioned, are caffeine and adrenaline Big Grin

Adrenalin is hugely addictive. It's not my thing, but just watching friends who love to get their juices flowing - it qualifies as drug in my book.

Oh yeah, no doubt about it...I've done a lot of things in my life that I really had no interest in doing, just because it was bound to give me an adrenalin rush.

You should attend an aerobatic competition sometime, and sit where you can see the performers getting out of their airplanes after their routines. Military flying wasn't as bad, most fighter planes are very limited in the amount of negative g they should pull, so pilots are taught to roll and pull most of the time- keep the g's primarily positive.

Aerobatic competition is all about flying a more impressive, difficult, and precise routine than your competitors, so negative g and lots of transverse g are just part of the game. What this means for you, as a pilot, is severe bruising and chafing and burst blood vessels in your eyeballs and severe hemorrhoids and stomach muscles that feel as if you've been catching cannon balls with 'em. We do that for fun, too! Partly for the competition, sure, but mostly because to BE competitive you have to be flying on the very edge, hanging it out so far a sneeze is instant death...literally. It's all done to get that burst of adrenalin. Cool
23-08-2016, 05:56 AM
(22-08-2016 11:58 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  

I'm still a little annoyed with you for deceiving me about herding yaks, but...to each his own, brother. I have neither pressured anyone to try drugs or alcohol nor condemned them for using either. I think people who avoid their problems by indulging are headed for trouble, so I have a personal rule that I only ever got high when I was already feeling good. I might get drunk with some friends after something bad happened, but never if I was feeling depressed or angry beyond that incident. Of course, I stopped everything for nearly 30 years while flying, so I may be a tainted sample, but it seems as if my policy has kept me out of any sort of trouble. Cool

I spent my life chasing experiences...and I figured these "trips" were experiences just like racing or rock climbing or hang gliding or skydiving...especially with older brothers who told me stories about the summer of love, and the decade leading up to it.
Shocking I heard some stories that I really wanted to try for myself. Yes

I do tend to lose it (or as close as I can come to losing it,
i.e. typing a couple harsh words online) briefly on occasion when on the topic of drugs. Though that's more because of the drug war than the drugs themselves. People can use all the homegrown shit they want, but we all know the nature of the cartels that are propped up by the larger scale drug trade. For that I place equal blame on the government for perpetuating the drug war and the consumers who continue to fund it.

In retrospect, I should probably thank them. My first adrenaline trips as a young adult came from the same place, in a sense. Without the drug war, I probably would have spent all my time in a dark room with no windows doing random nerd stuff without ever having the opportunity to experience the sensation of stacking up outside of some cartel asshole's house.

So I guess I'll consider it an acceptable trade-off Smile

'Murican Canadian
23-08-2016, 01:54 PM
(22-08-2016 11:43 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:I was an avid guitar player until I watched dimebag get shot almost 12 years ago.

I just picked it up again about a year ago and have been using it to spend some quality bonding time with my kids.

I feel really lucky, I taught 2 of my 3 kids to fly, private licenses both, and two of the three to play guitar. Many hours over many years spent together, and skills they will have all their lives, that will make them think of me. I really dig that. Big GrinCool

I have coached virtually every sport my kids have participated in at some point in time. On top of playing guitar we also spend lots of time at the local drag strips and race together (user name spoiler alert Thumbsup ). I figure that if I involve them in everything I do then they are less likely to get in trouble.
23-08-2016, 02:09 PM
(23-08-2016 01:54 PM)ohio_drg Wrote:  
(22-08-2016 11:43 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I feel really lucky, I taught 2 of my 3 kids to fly, private licenses both, and two of the three to play guitar. Many hours over many years spent together, and skills they will have all their lives, that will make them think of me. I really dig that. Big GrinCool

I have coached virtually every sport my kids have participated in at some point in time. On top of playing guitar we also spend lots of time at the local drag strips and race together (user name spoiler alert Thumbsup ). I figure that if I involve them in everything I do then they are less likely to get in trouble.

It's awesome, isn't it? Watching them grow and develop, at first copying your every move, and then putting their own spin on things...I love that.
I tried to get my kids into racing...they love to go to the track, and they all know how to stage and launch an 8 second car (1/4 mile) but none of them really wanted to pursue it as a main hobby. One of my daughters ran junior dragsters for two seasons, but boys replaced them in her itinerary. Gasp They saw racing as "Dad's thing", because from the time they were little my buddies and I would be out in the shop, drinking beer and tinkering on the car or bike. They liked playing with it, but that's all.

My oldest daughter competes in aerobatics now, which just makes me high as a kite, lol. She just graduated to the advanced class, it's like winning a nobel prize for her dad. Big Grin
23-08-2016, 04:04 PM
(18-08-2016 02:18 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  So I have two questions. One- if you (Hypothetically) play(ed) with rec drugs, what is your favorite and why?
I'll answer my own question, cause your question doesn't suit me.
I've never used recreational drugs, apart from alcohol.
I have been high before though, because I've sat in a small room with a group of friends that were smoking. My friends were constantly smoking through their teenage years (and beyond), but I've never worried about being the odd man out. I don't really understand why some people get so excited about drugs. It's generally the young ones, perhaps it is a rebelious think. IDK.
I too am a metal head, but i'm in it because I love the music rather than the image or being rebelious. It's just a form of music for me.
Drugs have never really appealed to me.
I also don't understand the concept of mind altering or opening your mind
Quote:that really open your mind
Surely people can be imaginative and creative without the support of drugs.

But, I haven't really experienced drugs so I don't know what all the fuss is about.