Favorite recreational substance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2016, 04:36 PM
RE: Favorite recreational substance
(23-08-2016 04:04 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I also don't understand the concept of mind altering or opening your mind ...

To me it's simply the realization that my interpretation of my sensory inputs is nothing close to the reality behind it. If there even is one.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Someone earlier mentioned the phrase "scratch my itch".

That's exactly why you see so many different types of "drugs" (I am including creating the release of our own manufactured body chemicals).

The way I see it, it's all based on our personal, unique chemical balances.

The majority of people have one itch or another that needs scratching. Be it adrenaline or serotonin, sugar or cocoa, weed or nicotine or - and - or..... it's scratching somebody's itch, filling a gap in their chemical balance.

We're all different that way, and one of these days there will be a way for medical science to scratch that itch for that particular person without any danger of harm. It's just a chemical gap in one's personal make up that needs filling.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Friends tell me I did a lot of acid in the '70s. I can't comment on that. Hobo
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2016, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2016 10:28 AM by ohio_drg.)
(23-08-2016 02:09 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 01:54 PM)ohio_drg Wrote:  I have coached virtually every sport my kids have participated in at some point in time. On top of playing guitar we also spend lots of time at the local drag strips and race together (user name spoiler alert Thumbsup ). I figure that if I involve them in everything I do then they are less likely to get in trouble.

It's awesome, isn't it? Watching them grow and develop, at first copying your every move, and then putting their own spin on things...I love that.
I tried to get my kids into racing...they love to go to the track, and they all know how to stage and launch an 8 second car (1/4 mile) but none of them really wanted to pursue it as a main hobby. One of my daughters ran junior dragsters for two seasons, but boys replaced them in her itinerary. Gasp They saw racing as "Dad's thing", because from the time they were little my buddies and I would be out in the shop, drinking beer and tinkering on the car or bike. They liked playing with it, but that's all.

My oldest daughter competes in aerobatics now, which just makes me high as a kite, lol. She just graduated to the advanced class, it's like winning a nobel prize for her dad. Big Grin

It is very awesome. Both of the kids love spending time with me at the track. My youngest drives the junior dragster and my oldest is now getting his feet wet in my drag car. I am thinking of purchasing a full size dragster to run as well.

Both kids are near the top of their classes and are also very dedicated athletes. My son has been looked at by some colleges but he thinks he wants to give up sports and pursue a degree in medicine.

Needless to say my kids have as much to do with who I am as a person as I have to do with them.
[+] 2 users Like ohio_drg's post
24-08-2016, 02:07 PM
(22-08-2016 06:46 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I have to pretty much be dying before I'll so much as touch an aspirin. I'm weird like that.

Never been drunk. Never experimented with anything. Never felt the need to. The best I've got, both of which have been mentioned, are caffeine and adrenaline Big Grin

I'm pretty sure I used up your share as well as mine. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-08-2016, 03:46 PM
When my eldest son was looking to enlist in the US Air Force, the Marine recruiter was all over him to join them instead. He asked if my son smoked pot; my son said no. The guy wouldn't believe him.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
25-08-2016, 08:16 AM
(24-08-2016 03:46 PM)Fireball Wrote:  When my eldest son was looking to enlist in the US Air Force, the Marine recruiter was all over him to join them instead. He asked if my son smoked pot; my son said no. The guy wouldn't believe him.

I run into that problem when I tell people I'm going on 15 years in the military and I've never been drunk before.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
25-08-2016, 08:49 AM
(25-08-2016 08:16 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 03:46 PM)Fireball Wrote:  When my eldest son was looking to enlist in the US Air Force, the Marine recruiter was all over him to join them instead. He asked if my son smoked pot; my son said no. The guy wouldn't believe him.

I run into that problem when I tell people I'm going on 15 years in the military and I've never been drunk before.

Laugh out load The Last Boy Scout!
25-08-2016, 09:52 AM
(23-08-2016 04:04 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(18-08-2016 02:18 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  So I have two questions. One- if you (Hypothetically) play(ed) with rec drugs, what is your favorite and why?
I'll answer my own question, cause your question doesn't suit me.
I've never used recreational drugs, apart from alcohol.
I have been high before though, because I've sat in a small room with a group of friends that were smoking. My friends were constantly smoking through their teenage years (and beyond), but I've never worried about being the odd man out. I don't really understand why some people get so excited about drugs. It's generally the young ones, perhaps it is a rebelious think. IDK.
I too am a metal head, but i'm in it because I love the music rather than the image or being rebelious. It's just a form of music for me.
Drugs have never really appealed to me.
I also don't understand the concept of mind altering or opening your mind
Quote:that really open your mind
Surely people can be imaginative and creative without the support of drugs.

But, I haven't really experienced drugs so I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Psychedelics certainly elevated my awareness about the differences between reality and perceived reality. Stone cold sober my perception of an event and the person sitting next to me is interpreted differently. My ex sister in law with borderline personality disorder - she's got one fucked up psyche and yet to her, her perception of reality is very much real.

I have a friend with synesthesia - she "see's" sound, without drugs. I now have a slightly better understanding of how she perceives the world.

It was fascinating to experience my how my mood would change the colors/temperature/tone of sound/overall sensory input of my surroundings. Tripping was very emotionally confronting for me - I typically bottle up my emotions, and I couldn't stop them. It was a combination of amusement and self discovery watching the banister dance to Tame Impala as changing colors dripped down the walls and morphed into jungles of lace and paisley patterns splashed out of the stereo as I sat in self reflection about how I didn't ever call my Nashville apartment home, how while I wasn't houseless I was certainly homeless. As I walked into the dark study on the ground floor of a 100 yr old house wearing a black velvet blazer I realized I had already lost myself, the way to find my way out of the abyss was to find a place and stop running, close my eyes and hug myself back together because I wasn't completely shattered as I had assumed and had been led to believe by my ex - my son was the key to home and healing, and I had thought I needed to be healed before I could be worthy of him. Just as I couldn't change everything in my surroundings with the psychedelics, I couldn't change my life, but I still have the power to alter the perception to make it more palatable. Oh, and at one point in one of my trips the towel on the bathroom floor morphed into white towel turtles humping - Sandals housekeeping staff needs to figure out how to do THAT with the little figures they leave on the beds for guests Laugh out load

The best analogy of my life: Dorothy fell down the rabbit hole to escape, got lost in the jungle, took the red pill, discovered the universe, found her way home, and with help is cleaning up the aftermath from the tornado that ripped apart her life.

I got more from just one trip than I achieved through therapy.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
26-08-2016, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2016 01:16 AM by The Dark One.)
Quote:It is very awesome. Both of the kids love spending time with me at the track. My youngest drives the junior dragster and my oldest is now getting his feet wet in my drag car. I am thinking of purchasing a full size dragster to run as well.

Both kids are near the top of their classes and are also very dedicated athletes. My son has been looked at by some colleges but he thinks he wants to give up sports and pursue a degree in medicine.

Needless to say my kids have as much to do with who I am as a person as I have to do with them.

Although it isn't exactly considered apropos in here- but thank you guys for accepting me anyway Smile - I have to say that without the gun culture, the race culture, and hunting and fishing, neither my relationship with my parents nor my children's relationships with me, would be the same. We are very close, my kids tell me EVERYTHING- even as young teenagers they would come to me with menstrual problems, if mom wasn't available (she did- for obvious reasons- come first in this area) and they weren't uncomfortable doing it. I was raised on a ranch where conception and birth and "parts" are all around you, plus I spent time in the medical field...I was never embarrassed by a body part and they learned from me. Likewise they would talk to me about their boyfriends, their sex lives...not to say we sat around talking about it and high fiving, lol...but they would ask me questions or whatever they needed, comfortably. I credit the hours and hours and hours we spent wrenching on cars together, shooting bottle caps down on our range, sitting in a boat fishing, or in a blind watching the sun come up together. Spending the time is part of it, but the intimacy involved in passing along a skill and knowledge is big part of it, as well. Seeing your child develop skills and delight in them is amazing, more so if you can take some of the credit. Cool

That out of the way, I don't know if you've ever run a full sized dragster before, but if not, one word of caution, if you're planning for the whole nitromethane experience Smile

Do you know how to make a small fortune racing a full sized nitromethane burning dragster?

Begin with a large fortune.

Weeping