Favourite Books?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Favourite Books?
Hey guys!

Does anybody have any particular favourite books they've read? I'm fairly "new" to reading, [I know how that sounds, but I didn't actively read books until about 3 years ago....now I can't stop], but since I've started reading, I've reading all sort of stuff ranging from classics to more modern books. Mostly fiction, but I'm open to reading anything Smile

Currently my favourites are:

1984 - George Orwell
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
Hitchhikers Guide... Douglas Adams

Haven't had time to re-read anything yet, but those are a few that have stuck out in my mind. 1984 really got me towards the end, amazing story!

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like OakTree500's post
16-03-2017, 10:31 AM
RE: Favourite Books?
(16-03-2017 10:09 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Hey guys!

Does anybody have any particular favourite books they've read? I'm fairly "new" to reading, [I know how that sounds, but I didn't actively read books until about 3 years ago....now I can't stop], but since I've started reading, I've reading all sort of stuff ranging from classics to more modern books. Mostly fiction, but I'm open to reading anything Smile

1984 - George Orwell

Haven't had time to re-read anything yet, but those are a few that have stuck out in my mind. 1984 really got me towards the end, amazing story!

I have read all of those except Rebecca, and enjoyed them. Bradbury in particular has always been one of my favorite writers. I like his stories better than his novels. The stories are uneven in quality, but the best of them are as good as the best of anyone's stories. A good collection is The Vintage Bradbury.

Another writer whose stories are better than his more famous novels is Ernest Hemingway. He wrote a lot of great stories, and they are pretty much all available in a single collection.

I like Faulkner a lot, and if I had to choose one favorite book, it would probably be one of his. The best are As I Lay Dying, The Sound and the Fury, Light in August, Absalom, Absalom, and Go Down, Moses. BEWARE: These are difficult books, and you have to be willing to work hard to read them.

Shakespeare's plays, particularly his great tragedies (King Lear, Hamlet, Othello, Macbeth), are probably better seen in performance than read, but they make great reading, too.

I'm less able to judge writing in other languages, because I can only read it in translation, and "something is always lost...". However, I have really enjoyed Dostoevsky, especially The Brothers Karamazov. I also recently enjoyed The Master and Margarita by a lesser-known Russian, Mikhail Bulgakov.

I could go on and on, but those are some of my favorites.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
16-03-2017, 10:48 AM
(16-03-2017 10:09 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  1984 - George Orwell

I'm glad you have "discovered" reading! Could you narrow it down a bit for us? (Having been an avid reader for over 60 years, I hava a lot of favorites.) What did you particularly like about those books, and are you looking for other books with similar themes/writing/ideas? Particular genres? Because "books" is a big category, and there are , like, whole buildings devoted to them! Big Grin

Where do you get the books you read? Library, bookshop, download to e-reader? I ask because some of my favorites are not available in all of the different formats.
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
16-03-2017, 10:59 AM
(16-03-2017 10:48 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 10:09 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  1984 - George Orwell

I'm glad you have "discovered" reading! Could you narrow it down a bit for us? (Having been an avid reader for over 60 years, I hava a lot of favorites.) What did you particularly like about those books, and are you looking for other books with similar themes/writing/ideas? Particular genres? Because "books" is a big category, and there are , like, whole buildings devoted to them! Big Grin

Where do you get the books you read? Library, bookshop, download to e-reader? I ask because some of my favorites are not available in all of the different formats.

Yes, sorry as Im very "general" about reading currently, as It's still very 'new' to me.

For those listed, it was the style of writing along with the story itself. 1984 has a fantastic story, with [in my mind at least] an amazing end. Rebecca has a lot of mystery to it, and when all is revealed it blew my mind! Hitchhikers (and the subsequent books) are just amazingly funny, and To Kill a Mockingbird again is just a great story with equally good writing.

So far, I'm reading anything I can get my hands on, and don't really have a favourite genre but have read historical fiction/sci-fi/romance/crime/thrillers and am just enjoying reading as a whole.

Other than that I do prefer new books from a book shop, (can't be doing with ereaders and haven't been in a library for years), although have picked up a few from a local market on occasion, if in good condition Smile

I mostly ask my more literary friends to suggest things, and I add to my list [which I keep on amazon so when I have a few sheckles I can buy them Smile ].

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
16-03-2017, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2017 11:25 AM by unfogged.)
I'm partial to Charles Dickens myself. Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, Bleak House, Tale of Two Cities, ...

"Brave New World" is also worth a read, as are "Catcher in the Rye" and anything by Steinbeck

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
16-03-2017, 11:33 AM
(16-03-2017 11:22 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I'm partial to Charles Dickens myself. Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, Bleak House, Tale of Two Cities, ...

"Brave New World" is also worth a read, as are "Catcher in the Rye" and anything by Steinbeck

I have recently read Brave New World, and enjoyed it a lot. Catcher.. I found didn't live up to the hype I'd been given. It was written well, and I can see how when it was first published it'd be more relevant, although I was slightly disappointed. Again, not that it was bad, just didn't live up to the hype for me.

16-03-2017, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2017 11:39 AM by houseofcantor.)
tao

If you meant fiction, I'm a fan of Alistair Reynolds.

Also a fan of Kindle Unlimited.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-03-2017, 11:37 AM
(16-03-2017 10:09 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Hey guys!

1984 - George Orwell

Favorite books? Guess that would be Mikhail Bulgakov The Master and Margarita, Vasily Grossman Life and Fate, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn The Gulag Archipelago and J.R.R. Tolkien Silmarillion.

(16-03-2017 10:31 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  [...]I also recently enjoyed The Master and Margarita by a lesser-known Russian, Mikhail Bulgakov.

Lesser-known? Heresy Evil_monster Only Lenin is more recognizable Russian than Bulgakov Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
16-03-2017, 11:55 AM
(16-03-2017 11:22 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I'm partial to Charles Dickens myself. Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, Bleak House, Tale of Two Cities, ...

I absolutely loved Steinbeck in my younger years. I must have read every one of his books by the time I finished high school. Since then I've discovered other great writers, but I still have a soft spot for him. He's one of the reasons I never become a writer -- I figured I could never write as well as he did.

The Grapes of Wrath is the obvious choice here, and it is a great book, but I also liked the less ambitious books like Tortilla Flat and Cannery Row.
16-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Have you read any of these?:

Frank Herbert Dune
Joe Haldeman The Forever War
Verner Vinge A Fire Upon the Deep
Lois Bujold Falling Free and The Warrior's Apprentice
Ray Bradbury The Martian Chronicles
Isaac Asimov I, Robot and The Gods Themselves
Jussi Adler-Olsen The Keeper of Lost Causes