Favourite Books?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2017, 11:17 AM
RE: Favourite Books?
Awesome cheers guys! Those that aren't on the list already, i'll add on! Smile

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2017, 03:56 PM
(17-03-2017 11:17 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Awesome cheers guys! Those that aren't on the list already, i'll add on! Smile

Pretty soon, you'll have a list long enough for your whole life. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
18-03-2017, 08:30 AM
This thread made me realize that I haven't written a book.
I thought I had. I had details, dialogue, a good story, twists and turns, but it's missing something.

It's missing an elegance of prose.
I'm realizing I have the framework for a book and still have a lot of work ahead of me.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
18-03-2017, 08:38 AM
(18-03-2017 08:30 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  This thread made me realize that I haven't written a book.
I thought I had. I had details, dialogue, a good story, twists and turns, but it's missing something.

I'm realizing I have the framework for a book and still have a lot of work ahead of me.

No doubt your book is a book, even if it doesn't come up to your own standards yet.

It may be difficult or impossible to be as good as the best, but there's still a place for lesser works as well.

I like all sorts of books.

Sleepy
18-03-2017, 10:19 AM
(18-03-2017 08:38 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 08:30 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  This thread made me realize that I haven't written a book.

No doubt your book is a book, even if it doesn't come up to your own standards yet.

It may be difficult or impossible to be as good as the best, but there's still a place for lesser works as well.

I like all sorts of books.

Sleepy

For me it's like painting your first painting and humbly realizing you're not as good as Rembrandt Big Grin

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
18-03-2017, 10:41 AM

The rule of thumb that I've heard is that you have to write a million words before you start writing anything good.
[+] 1 user Likes John Derderian's post
18-03-2017, 12:40 PM
(18-03-2017 10:41 AM)John Derderian Wrote:  The rule of thumb that I've heard is that you have to write a million words before you start writing anything good.

What if you write the same word over and over? Redrum, redrum, redrum....

Ohmy
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
18-03-2017, 01:23 PM
(18-03-2017 12:40 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 10:41 AM)John Derderian Wrote:  The rule of thumb that I've heard is that you have to write a million words before you start writing anything good.

What if you write the same word over and over? Redrum, redrum, redrum....

Ohmy
Then you get good at writing that particular word. After that, all your future writing of the word becomes publishable.
[+] 1 user Likes John Derderian's post
19-03-2017, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 11:10 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan is probably my favorite. Dune might be my second favorite. I haven't read a full book in a while. I should read more.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
25-03-2017, 08:57 PM
(17-03-2017 10:49 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 10:27 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Fair enough! I did enjoy it, but in fairness won't be rushing back to re-read it either haha.

Is there anything you'd suggest to read? I have read Brave New world and Catcher..., as suggested earlier. Any particular Dickens? I'll add it to my list Smile

I liked Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickelby, Bleak House, Tale of Two Cities

Dickens can also take a little time to get into. I'd avoid The Pickwick Papers unless you find that you REALLY like his writing. It was an early work and is nowhere near as good as the others (IMO of course).

And I'd recommend reading The Pickwick Papers before any other Dickens. It is his first novel, and though it has some structural and pacing problems, the writing seems to jump off the page in excitement to be told. It is his funniest work, with some of his most memorable characters. IMO, of course.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
[+] 2 users Like Vivian Darkbloom's post