Favourite Sci-Fi movie?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2017, 02:26 AM
RE: Favourite Sci-Fi movie?
(21-03-2017 01:53 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I think we need a new sub-thread for "great moments in sci-fi films"... those moments where the cinematography, writing, and score all come together to just fucking blow you away.

For some, it will be something like the existential terror of the parasitically-reproducing creatures that are eating the crew and/or using them to gestate babies, as in Aliens, and the valiant people who fight back against it.

For me, it is the moment in Star Wars where the Williams score (John Williams is a fucking genius!) just grabs your guts and twists, as a frustrated Luke who was just dressed-down by his guardian uncle, a farmer with no desire to do anything or go anywhere, looks off into the twin sunset over the desert and longs to begin an adventure in the wider galaxy out there... with no idea of the true stakes, the metaphorical/transitional precipice upon which he is standing, or what his fate will cost him. As the music swells, I feel deeply moved, every time.

What are some of you guys' favorite "great cinematic moments"?

Spoilers for Rogue One.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
21-03-2017, 03:33 AM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2017 03:44 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Dude, so much that scene in Rogue One! Matter of fact, shame on all of us for not including Rogue One on our lists! Instant classic. Restored my faith in the entire franchise.

When I first saw that movie, I felt guilty because I literally gasped out loud, almost shouted (I'm not even 100% sure what noise I made, only that I exclaimed loudly when I saw it), right in the middle of the crowd... and then I realized that almost everyone else in the room had done the same thing. I can't remember the last time a movie scene caused such a percent of the audience to react so visibly/audibly, on that level.

But frankly, among all the dramatic moments in that film, the one that "got to me" was this scene:

"Climb. Climb! You can still send the plans to the fleet. If they open the shield gate, you can broadcast from the tower. Locking the vault door, now. Goodbye."

(Warning: Spoilers. Duh.)

You know you have hit your mark, as a writer/director/whatever, when the destruction of a "mere" machine is enough to make your audience choke back a tear, or gasp and clutch at your chest, as I did.

Edit: As a minor side-note, Alan Tudyk is the motherfucking man! Seriously. I've loved him since A Knight's Tale and of course as Wash in Firefly/Serenity, but dude, he made me care that deeply about a damned robot. (To be fair, he had done it before, to a less successful degree, as the robot in I, Robot.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
21-03-2017, 04:29 AM
(21-03-2017 12:05 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  "She won't answer to helm! We're locked into the moon's gravitational pull... what do we do!?"

"We die."

It takes more than a scepter to rule, Zor! Even on Rylos! Wink

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
21-03-2017, 06:45 AM
(21-03-2017 12:05 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I also omitted the excellent category of "campy-fun-yet-has-moments-of-great-sci-fi" list from consideration, for films such as The Last Starfighter, which overcame its "80s-ness" to be quite enjoyable in its serious moments of space combat.

The Last Starfighter had some unforgettable moments.

"There's no fleet? No Starfighters, no plan? One ship, you, me, and that's it?"
"Exactly! Xur thinks you're still on Earth. Classic military strategy, surprise attack."
"It'll be a slaughter!"
"That's the spirit."
"My slaughter! One ship against the whole Armada?
Yes, one Gunstar against the Armada. I've always wanted to fight a desperate battle against incredible odds."

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
[+] 3 users Like M. Linoge's post
21-03-2017, 07:58 AM
Cannot do "favorite." Most watched, however...

at 30+

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-03-2017, 08:10 AM
I find it interesting that no one else has mentioned Alien specifically tons of mentions for the sequel and a few for the franchise as a whole but no love for the first film. Personally I prefer the first film the first sequel is also fantastic but it is more of an action film where the first was a suspense/horror film done to perfection.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
21-03-2017, 08:18 AM
(21-03-2017 01:53 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  For me, it is the moment in Star Wars where the Williams score (John Williams is a fucking genius!)...

John Williams is a FUCKIN' BOSS!

When you think of Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, and Jurassic Park; the music that defines those worlds is his work. Hell, to this day I can still hum the theme to Home Alone, and I haven't seen that movie since I was a kid; a testament to how memorable his work can be.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-03-2017, 08:25 AM
(21-03-2017 08:10 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I find it interesting that no one else has mentioned Alien specifically tons of mentions for the sequel and a few for the franchise as a whole but no love for the first film. Personally I prefer the first film the first sequel is also fantastic but it is more of an action film where the first was a suspense/horror film done to perfection.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-03-2017, 09:04 AM
(21-03-2017 03:33 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Edit: As a minor side-note, Alan Tudyk is the motherfucking man! Seriously. I've loved him since A Knight's Tale and of course as Wash in Firefly/Serenity, but dude, he made me care that deeply about a damned robot. (To be fair, he had done it before, to a less successful degree, as the robot in I, Robot.)

He is in Powerless, a workplace comedy based in the DC comics universe. Not an amazing show be he is good in it.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
21-03-2017, 10:28 AM
Red Planet!
Quote:[Image: angrymob2.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user