Favourite Sci-Fi movie?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2017, 10:31 AM
RE: Favourite Sci-Fi movie?
(20-03-2017 07:32 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 07:28 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's another one??????

Gasp

> There are four versions of Blade Runner. The 4-disc set is available on Amazon.
The Director's Cut version is so lame without Deckert's vocalized insights.

You have to be odd to be #1.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Don't banish me from TTA but I'm not much of a science fiction fan.

I liked 2001: A Space Odyssey and I liked the recent movie, Arrival. Alien was pretty good. Scared the shit outta me when I saw it. Star Wars? Meh. It's cowboys in outer space. Star Trek? I get the two mixed up anymore. I don't get what's so appealing about Hollywood movies that blow stuff up whether it's in outer space or here on earth. I don't give a good goddamn about lasers. Maybe it's a guy thing.

This is actually my very favorite Sci-Fi piece of filmmaking. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 7 users Like dancefortwo's post
21-03-2017, 10:34 AM
(20-03-2017 11:56 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 07:17 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  RocketSurgeon76, now really, Iron Giant?!
I want some of what you're smoking friend. Must be a story behind that one!

Yes, definitely Iron Giant. It not only hearkens back to the days of the classic sci-fi era with numerous homages and "Easter eggs", it has an amazing lesson about discovering what it really means to be human (which is the point of all sci-fi, I think), and all the moral lessons that go along with it... the whole scene just before the "Superman" bit where the little boy explains to the killing machine that "You don't HAVE to be a gun! YOU choose!"

As the killing machine (who could have simply used his amazing weaponry to vaporize the nuclear missile) flies toward the incoming rocket, intent on sacrificing his life on behalf of all the people below, he hears the voice of the little boy about choosing to be what he wants to be-- and the robot says, "Superman", then smiles and closes his eyes for the impact.

If that doesn't move you on a deep level, well, maybe you need to watch more films examining what it means to be human. Tongue

Awesome extraction.

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 1 user Likes BackSlider's post
21-03-2017, 10:40 AM
There's so many ......it's difficult to choose.
Alien
Blade Runner
Minority Report
Star Trek
The Matrix
Interstellar

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
21-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Rogue One is my current favorite Tongue

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
21-03-2017, 11:19 AM
(21-03-2017 10:34 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Don't banish me from TTA but I'm not much of a science fiction fan.

I liked 2001: A Space Odyssey and I liked the recent movie, Arrival. Alien was pretty good. Scared the shit outta me when I saw it. Star Wars? Meh. It's cowboys in outer space. Star Trek? I get the two mixed up anymore. I don't get what's so appealing about Hollywood movies that blow stuff up whether it's in outer space or here on earth. I don't give a good goddamn about lasers. Maybe it's a guy thing.

This is actually my very favorite Sci-Fi piece of filmmaking. Thumbsup

All of the Star Wars movies have always struck me as being a bit on the cheesy side -- especially the original three. I don't like all of the Star Trek movies, but the ones I do like (The Wrath of Khan, and the one where they time-travel back to earth to save the whales) are better than any Star Wars movie.

However, none of those would be my favorite. My favorite is 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'm a guy, and I like a good explosion as well as anyone, but I don't judge the quality of a movie by that. Plot and dialogue and acting are all more important, and interesting ideas are especially important in a sci-fi film. And that's why 2001 wins.

I also really liked Galaxy Quest and Mars Attacks, although since those are spoofs, I'm not sure they count.
[+] 5 users Like Grasshopper's post
21-03-2017, 11:32 AM
I love sci fi. One that nobody's mentioned, that I enjoy, is Starship Troopers. No, I haven't read the book, and don't give a shit. I just find the movie funny and entertaining. Damn bugs.
21-03-2017, 11:58 AM
(21-03-2017 10:34 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Don't banish me from TTA but I'm not much of a science fiction fan.

You are dead to me. Angry

Big Grin

Laugh out load

Eat that shit like potato chips. Gwynnies bless kindle unlimited.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-03-2017, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2017 01:39 PM by kim.)
I don't think I could ever say which would be my "favorite" - as in the best - each one is different.

My current list (in no particular order) of favorites would consist of ...

Blade Runner
Time After Time - (1979)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The World, the Flesh and the Devil
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Arrival
Silent Running
Capricorn One
Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
City of Lost Children
A Clockwork Orange

2001 A Space Odyssey / 2010 Odyssey Two
Star Wars (A New Hope/Empire Strikes Back/Rogue One/& so far, the new one)
Star Trek - sort of - the ones with the old guys
Fifth Element

I'm certain I've forgotten some really great ones. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
21-03-2017, 12:34 PM
The MST3K version of Prince of Space.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!