Favourite Sci-Fi movie?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2017, 12:38 PM
RE: Favourite Sci-Fi movie?
I nearly forgot the SciFi channel's Dune and Children of Dune.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
21-03-2017, 12:42 PM
(21-03-2017 12:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I nearly forgot the SciFi channel's Dune and Children of Dune.

I haven't seen those, but speaking of Dune, I liked the 1984 David Lynch version (ducks and runs for cover). Of course, it had all kinds of flaws, and was basically incomprehensible if you hadn't read the book -- but I had read the book, and I liked it. Lynch's inherent weirdness was perfect for that world and that story.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
21-03-2017, 12:49 PM
(21-03-2017 12:42 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 12:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I nearly forgot the SciFi channel's Dune and Children of Dune.

I haven't seen those, but speaking of Dune, I liked the 1984 David Lynch version (ducks and runs for cover). Of course, it had all kinds of flaws, and was basically incomprehensible if you hadn't read the book -- but I had read the book, and I liked it. Lynch's inherent weirdness was perfect for that world and that story.

Dune(1984) is a fantastic movie if you are willing to do the homework. I really enjoyed it as well but the SciFi version is more accessible and closer to Frank Herbert's books.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
21-03-2017, 01:04 PM
(21-03-2017 12:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 12:42 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I haven't seen those, but speaking of Dune, I liked the 1984 David Lynch version (ducks and runs for cover). Of course, it had all kinds of flaws, and was basically incomprehensible if you hadn't read the book -- but I had read the book, and I liked it. Lynch's inherent weirdness was perfect for that world and that story.

Dune(1984) is a fantastic movie if you are willing to do the homework. I really enjoyed it as well but the SciFi version is more accessible and closer to Frank Herbert's books.

Re-watching all of the above, Lynch's movie kinda sux. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
21-03-2017, 01:08 PM
(21-03-2017 01:04 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 12:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Dune(1984) is a fantastic movie if you are willing to do the homework. I really enjoyed it as well but the SciFi version is more accessible and closer to Frank Herbert's books.

Re-watching all of the above, Lynch's movie kinda sux. Tongue

In fairness to Lynch, making Dune the book into a movie was a project akin to trying to make the entire LotR trilogy into a single film, or converting Game of Thrones into a single film. It's astounding he managed it at all, and given those constrictions, I think it's pretty damned good. The mini-series beat it, of course.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
21-03-2017, 01:22 PM
(21-03-2017 01:53 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I think we need a new sub-thread for "great moments in sci-fi films"... those moments where the cinematography, writing, and score all come together to just fucking blow you away.

For some, it will be something like the existential terror of the parasitically-reproducing creatures that are eating the crew and/or using them to gestate babies, as in Aliens, and the valiant people who fight back against it.

For me, it is the moment in Star Wars where the Williams score (John Williams is a fucking genius!) just grabs your guts and twists, as a frustrated Luke who was just dressed-down by his guardian uncle, a farmer with no desire to do anything or go anywhere, looks off into the twin sunset over the desert and longs to begin an adventure in the wider galaxy out there... with no idea of the true stakes, the metaphorical/transitional precipice upon which he is standing, or what his fate will cost him. As the music swells, I feel deeply moved, every time.

What are some of you guys' favorite "great cinematic moments"?

Dammit RS, you already touched on everything I wanted to say, I have no wind left in my sails.

Fifth Element, Blade Runner, The Wrath of Khan, I'll throw in Superman in the list, the first one.

And Forbidden Planet. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
21-03-2017, 01:31 PM
(21-03-2017 01:04 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Re-watching all of the above, Lynch's movie kinda sux. Tongue
Trying to be fair to the movie, I wondered whether the scenes that were cut for time would have made the movie better. So I got a copy of the uncut version. It truly sucked even worse than the theatrical version. Lynch is good at "small scene/personality driven" stuff like Twin Peaks and The Elephant Man, but Dune was really beyond his scope. I hope someone will do a really good version of Dune (trilogy, maybe?) that captures the story line well.

I can think of a few other "good source material/sucky movie" stuff, but if I list them, I will surely be Beat_stick by people who loved the movies. Yes So I will mention just one: Ender's Game. Lots of flashy scenes which entirely missed what the book was about.
21-03-2017, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2017 02:19 PM by TheInquisition.)
(21-03-2017 01:53 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I think we need a new sub-thread for "great moments in sci-fi films"... those moments where the cinematography, writing, and score all come together to just fucking blow you away.

For some, it will be something like the existential terror of the parasitically-reproducing creatures that are eating the crew and/or using them to gestate babies, as in Aliens, and the valiant people who fight back against it.

For me, it is the moment in Star Wars where the Williams score (John Williams is a fucking genius!) just grabs your guts and twists, as a frustrated Luke who was just dressed-down by his guardian uncle, a farmer with no desire to do anything or go anywhere, looks off into the twin sunset over the desert and longs to begin an adventure in the wider galaxy out there... with no idea of the true stakes, the metaphorical/transitional precipice upon which he is standing, or what his fate will cost him. As the music swells, I feel deeply moved, every time.

What are some of you guys' favorite "great cinematic moments"?
The scene of Luke looking at the suns setting on Tatooine and feeling the call of destiny was definitely a great moment.

Great cinematic moment:

[Image: khaaaan-kirk.jpg]

A great moment:

Another one:

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
21-03-2017, 02:22 PM
This was a great scene:

[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
21-03-2017, 05:20 PM
(21-03-2017 07:58 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Cannot do "favorite." Most watched, however...

at 30+

I've watched both Pitch Black, and The Chronicles of Riddick, multiple times, each, too. Blush

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post