Golf
Other (please specify)
[Show Results]

Favourite Sport?!?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-11-2012, 07:26 AM
RE: Favourite Sport?!?
My favorite sport is candlepin bowling. What's that? You've never heard of it? Neither has anyone else. :^)

It's a variation on ten-pin bowling. The pins are very skinny (hence the name) and the ball is much smaller, about the size of a large-ish grapefruit. A frame is called a "box", and you get three balls per box instead of two; if you get all ten pins on the third ball, it's scored simply as a ten, rather than a strike or a spare. Any pins that are knocked down after each ball are left on the lane, meaning that the player can try knocking the fallen pins around to try to hit any pins that are still standing. The ball is lighter than the pins, so the ball ends up bouncing around quite a bit. Occasionally, a ball will even bounce off the back of the lane and come back into play.

Candlepin is far more difficult than ten pin. A perfect score is 300, as in ten pin, but no one has ever gotten a perfect score. The highest official score ever recorded, last I checked, was 240 or so. Candlepin is popular in New England and Eastern Canada but is almost completely unknown anywhere else. As with pretty much everything else these days, there are lots of vids on YouTube if you'd like to see some games.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2012, 07:11 PM
I only really follow baseball, and only if my team (Seattle Mariners) are playing.
07-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Favourite Sport?!?
(07-11-2012 07:11 PM)thirdangletheory Wrote:  I only really follow baseball, and only if my team (Seattle Mariners) are playing.

I had no idea there was a fellow M's sufferer here. Nice!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
09-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Yeah, big fan of them throughout the 90's, but with so many of their big names gone now I feel like they've lost a lot of personality.
09-11-2012, 01:25 PM
43-man squamish.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2012, 02:04 PM
(09-11-2012 01:05 PM)thirdangletheory Wrote:  Yeah, big fan of them throughout the 90's, but with so many of their big names gone now I feel like they've lost a lot of personality.

Yeah, they're certainly a very young team now. The hope is to add a couple of bats in the off season to go with their strong pitching and defense. They're in the mix for Josh Hamilton, but I have my doubts about him being consistent enough to be worth the free agent contract he's after.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
09-11-2012, 02:04 PM
(09-11-2012 01:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  43-man squamish.
The sound of that makes me squeamish.

09-11-2012, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2012 02:28 PM by Vera.)
(09-11-2012 01:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  43-man squamish.
9:31 (though the one at 6:35 and the football one after it are great, too; of course, I love this show to bits, it never fails to make me happy Yes ) Also, the bit at 4:10. Hm, did I mention I love this show?

(and as a linguist, this epi of Captain Fantastic, starting at 18:40 has got to be my favourite).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
19-11-2012, 01:27 AM
I love to watch and play cricket, sometimes I do play a little bit of soccer in the weekends with my friends.

Solar Panel Cleaning & Gutter Cleaning
15-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Drag Racing.
[+] 2 users Like ceej's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What makes a sport? BrokenQuill92 7 358 28-08-2013 09:12 PM
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  First current player on a major American team sport comes out cufflink 5 332 29-04-2013 03:24 PM
Last Post: Revenant77x