Favourite Superhero? [And Why]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2017, 08:38 AM
Favourite Superhero? [And Why]
[Didn't know if to put this in the movies bit or in literature, but thought it'll do alright just here]

Who's your favourite superhero? Can be from Marvel/DC/Image/Other comic books/Movies/TV shows/whatever really? I have a soft spot for Superman, thanks to the original Christopher Reeve movies, but for me its:

THE FLASH

I got into comic books during my teens, and the Flash at that time was Wally West. The Flash mantle has been worn by a few different people, but the most famous/well known seems to be Barry Allen, thanks to the TV show/upcoming movies.

As to why: I love me some crazy stuff, and the Flash has this whole "can run so fast he can time travel" thing, plus when I first got into comic books, it was just at the start of this crazy arc that culminated in a mental finale, and it was amazing. Smile More recently, I loved the first two seasons of the TV show, and am very much looking forward to the Justice League movie (despite the thought it might be very bad) to see how my boy kicks it off on the big screen.

So, Batman/Superman/Wonder Women/Captain America/Iron Man/etc, who's your favourite?

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
20-10-2017, 08:48 AM
RE: Favourite Superhero? [And Why]
Catwoman. I just think she's bad ass. She also has a cool cat suit. And I like cats. Tongue I like that she's flexible, sexy, strong, and stealth.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
20-10-2017, 08:51 AM
The Punisher... I like his personality and I'm generally more into the ones who don't actually have super powers.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
20-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Having super powers is cheating. And that's why I like Batman. He's just like me, but with the addition of mad skillz and technology (and he's rich -- it helps to be rich, lol). For the same reason, I always liked Daredevil -- he has no super powers either, he just has heightened senses because of being blind. I don't know how realistic either of these characters is, but at least I can imagine them existing. Superman -- no way.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
20-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Kyle Rayner's Green/White Lantern

If you have never read the Geoff John's run on Green lantern then you are missing one of the best mainstream comic runs of all time. It is why he is now basically running the creative side of DC, and that is why DC is kicking the shit out of Marvel in the comics right now.

Best comics being printed right now however are IDW Transformers. It's one of those things where it really has no right to be as good as it is, given the source material is a 22 minute toy commercial. But if you like political drama, deep conversations about the aftermath of a war that never seemed like it would end, and what it means when that war does end, then IDW Transformers are for you.

There are 3 main arcs each with a book, Optimus Prime and a group of followers on Earth trying to get Earth to join the Cybertronian council of worlds Which is under the title More than Meets the Eye. This is the weakest of the three, which is to say lightyears better than anything put out by DC or Marvel. Optimus and his top lieutenant Soundwave are trying to get Earth to be part of the Cybertonian council and Optimus has a bit of a heel turn when he goes all Dictator-ish.

The voyage of the Lost Light a ship filled with Transformers on an almost religious pilgrimage to find the lost Knights of Cybertron, Mains in this are Rodimus and a now Autobot aligned Megatron who has take a vow of pacifism that is under the Lost Light title. A post war Megatron who has seen how wrong he was, for the right reasons originally, might be the best character arc ever done in comics. He is a very sad and solitary figure as he shuns his former followers for the most part. It is kind of like what if Che Guevara lived long enough to see stupid kids wearing shirts with his face on it ironically.

Finally the heavy political book staring Starscream and Windblade as they try and steer the council of Worlds towards the future with Starscream always coming off as slimy as possible but never out and out seeming to be setting himself up as an Emperor, and Windblade, a female transformer from the long lost Colony of Caminus who can speak with the Titan-class Transformers like Metroplex, who is trying to make the council a true democracy. This is my favorite book, Til All are One, and everyone in it is making hard political choices to get to their end goals. Starscream is convinced he is the "Chosen One" because of a vision he had and much like every incarnation of the character outside the godawful movies is one of the most complex and interesting characters in the entire franchise. Windblade however is a fantastic counter-balance she is a City-speaker, a position of much responsibility and respect on her home world, who now has to come to Cybertron where she has few allies and fewer friends she can trust and try and keep Starscream from scheming.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
20-10-2017, 09:18 AM
(20-10-2017 09:09 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Having super powers is cheating. And that's why I like Batman. He's just like me, but with the addition of mad skillz and technology (and he's rich -- it helps to be rich, lol). For the same reason, I always liked Daredevil -- he has no super powers either, he just has heightened senses because of being blind. I don't know how realistic either of these characters is, but at least I can imagine them existing. Superman -- no way.

I'll admit I only watched Daredevil once I heard the Punisher was in it. And Stick... and Elektra... I like the concept, but he frustrates me with his "I won't take a life" BS Tongue

'Murican Canadian
20-10-2017, 09:26 AM
(20-10-2017 09:18 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(20-10-2017 09:09 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Having super powers is cheating. And that's why I like Batman. He's just like me, but with the addition of mad skillz and technology (and he's rich -- it helps to be rich, lol). For the same reason, I always liked Daredevil -- he has no super powers either, he just has heightened senses because of being blind. I don't know how realistic either of these characters is, but at least I can imagine them existing. Superman -- no way.

I'll admit I only watched Daredevil once I heard the Punisher was in it. And Stick... and Elektra... I like the concept, but he frustrates me with his "I won't take a life" BS Tongue

I never even knew there was a Daredevil movie. I only know him from 1960s comic books. I have, of course, seen several Batman movies. Isn't he (Batman) the "I won't take a life" guy? Whatever movie it was where Heath Ledger played the Joker, Batman could have made his life easier by killing the Joker, but he wouldn't do it.
20-10-2017, 09:30 AM
(20-10-2017 09:17 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Kyle Rayner's Green/White Lantern

If you have never read the Geoff John's run on Green lantern then you are missing one of the best mainstream comic runs of all time. It is why he is now basically running the creative side of DC, and that is why DC is kicking the shit out of Marvel in the comics right now.

Geoff Johns was writing for The Flash, when I first got into comics, and is the sole reason I got sucked into the mental story line that was happening. So I'm very happy he's in charge of the creative there!

If you can ever find it, the collected story line is called "Blitz" and involves a friend of the flash becoming paralyzed in an accident. He asks the flash to fix it with his time travel capabilities, but due to any change causing huge ramifications, the flash declines and his friend attempts to fix it himself, using some old Flash related tech. It all goes a bit tits-up, and a big villain is released in the process, who proceeds to destroy Wally's life. It culminates in a mind bending showdown, involving other former flashes/GL's and all hosts of other people. It's really really great.

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
20-10-2017, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2017 09:37 AM by OakTree500.)
(20-10-2017 09:26 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(20-10-2017 09:18 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I'll admit I only watched Daredevil once I heard the Punisher was in it. And Stick... and Elektra... I like the concept, but he frustrates me with his "I won't take a life" BS Tongue

I never even knew there was a Daredevil movie. I only know him from 1960s comic books. I have, of course, seen several Batman movies. Isn't he (Batman) the "I won't take a life" guy? Whatever movie it was where Heath Ledger played the Joker, Batman could have made his life easier by killing the Joker, but he wouldn't do it.

I think Grasshoper is talking about the Daredevil TV series, which is on netlfix [which is VERY good, and links in with others also on netflix]Smile But there is also a movie from the 2000's, starring Ben Affleck, which is very much of it's time lol.

In terms of Batman/Daredevil, they are very similar in that respect, as both believe taking a life crosses a line that you'll never be able to take back.

20-10-2017, 09:35 AM
(20-10-2017 09:26 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(20-10-2017 09:18 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I'll admit I only watched Daredevil once I heard the Punisher was in it. And Stick... and Elektra... I like the concept, but he frustrates me with his "I won't take a life" BS Tongue

Well not sure about a movie, but the Netflix series. Season two of Daredevil is Censored'ing awesome, though again not because of Daredevil Big Grin

Batman does seem to get into the won't kill anything mentality from time to time as well, but for some reason it doesn't piss me off with him. Partially because he has all his gadgets and stuff that make it somewhat realistic. In the Daredevil series, at least, they rely on the whole "beat the shit out of the bad guys until they conveniently go unconscious for the rest of the scene" strategy to make it work. That doesn't work in reality. Unconsciousness generally only lasts a few seconds if you're not in a coma. And If you hit someone hard enough to put them in a coma, sometimes they die. Perhaps I'm being nit picky, but for some reason it gets to me.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post