Favourite pictures for a laugh at religion...

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Votes - 4.25 Average
11-11-2015, 05:06 PM
RE: Favourite pictures for a laugh at religion...
(11-11-2015 04:20 PM)pablo Wrote:  [Image: FB_IMG_1447280375429_zpsyc3mlooy.jpg]

Heh! Yeah. That about sums up how I feel about church.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2015, 06:55 PM
[Image: FB_IMG_1445305299888_zpswia1noxm.jpg]
Dodgy

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 17 users Like izel's post
11-11-2015, 07:20 PM
[Image: OJXhKgi.jpg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 6 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
11-11-2015, 07:35 PM
(11-11-2015 06:55 PM)izel Wrote:  [Image: FB_IMG_1445305299888_zpswia1noxm.jpg]
Dodgy

I know right? But in one the guy rolls away a stone and disappears then reappears, while in the other the guy rides up ino the sky on a horse and is never seen from again. That difference is enough to declare Holy War for 800 years.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
11-11-2015, 07:36 PM
[Image: FB_IMG_1447292103315_zpsttpbh4aw.jpg]
[+] 15 users Like pablo's post
11-11-2015, 08:10 PM
(11-11-2015 07:35 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 06:55 PM)izel Wrote:  [Image: FB_IMG_1445305299888_zpswia1noxm.jpg]
Dodgy

I know right? But in one the guy rolls away a stone and disappears then reappears, while in the other the guy rides up ino the sky on a horse and is never seen from again. That difference is enough to declare Holy War for 800 years.

Well Mohammed was a well traveled businessman. So my guess is he stumbled upon bible from one of the regions he was visiting, saw how people worshiped, and figured what if I twist this just a bit and make my self the prophet. And ta dah, worked well for him because in no time he created an empire that spread everywhere. But that's just my guess because the similarities between the two religions is overwhelming.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 3 users Like izel's post
12-11-2015, 12:17 AM
(11-11-2015 08:10 PM)izel Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 07:35 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I know right? But in one the guy rolls away a stone and disappears then reappears, while in the other the guy rides up ino the sky on a horse and is never seen from again. That difference is enough to declare Holy War for 800 years.

Well Mohammed was a well traveled businessman. So my guess is he stumbled upon bible from one of the regions he was visiting, saw how people worshiped, and figured what if I twist this just a bit and make my self the prophet. And ta dah, worked well for him because in no time he created an empire that spread everywhere. But that's just my guess because the similarities between the two religions is overwhelming.

There's a fascinating book by the historian Tom Holland, called "In the Shadow of the Sword", where he goes into the origins of Islam in some detail, including the influence of Christianity. He does put in quite a bit of his own opinion, but he does include references. I'd be interested to know what his standing is with other historians - according to his wikipedia page he's legit Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
12-11-2015, 03:14 AM
(12-11-2015 12:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 08:10 PM)izel Wrote:  Well Mohammed was a well traveled businessman. So my guess is he stumbled upon bible from one of the regions he was visiting, saw how people worshiped, and figured what if I twist this just a bit and make my self the prophet. And ta dah, worked well for him because in no time he created an empire that spread everywhere. But that's just my guess because the similarities between the two religions is overwhelming.

There's a fascinating book by the historian Tom Holland, called "In the Shadow of the Sword", where he goes into the origins of Islam in some detail, including the influence of Christianity. He does put in quite a bit of his own opinion, but he does include references. I'd be interested to know what his standing is with other historians - according to his wikipedia page he's legit Tongue

I have to check that out Smile

1 Like = 1 Prayer
12-11-2015, 06:48 AM
(11-11-2015 01:32 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 12:36 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Not as bad, but annoying: once evolution becomes undeniable, they claim that the Koran explained it 1,400 years ago.

It's better that way. They lose when they concede. They're effectively saying that rational though trumps religious pronouncements.

Here, have all the likes, since I can't rep you again.

[Image: likes_zpsbcrmjckj.png]
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
12-11-2015, 07:32 AM
(11-11-2015 07:36 PM)pablo Wrote:  [Image: FB_IMG_1447292103315_zpsttpbh4aw.jpg]

Oh, it's just a metaphor. Don't take it out of context.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post