Favourite pictures for a laugh at religion...

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Votes - 4.25 Average
17-01-2016, 10:46 PM
RE: Favourite pictures for a laugh at religion...
(16-01-2016 10:31 AM)yakherder Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_nu3a6orM7b1rfq0ndo1_500.jpg]

A vegan friend shared that picture on Facebook with the following commentary:

"So sad that any of this is associated with the peaceful blessed heart of Jesus who was obviously vegan and lived His life and gave his life for the cause of non-violence in every regard."

I was so conflicted because I don't have a problem with anyone who is a vegan for ethical reasons. However, Jesus (as depicted in the Bible) was clearly not vegan and given the wholesale slaughter of animals in the O.T. for sacrifices, various genocides where the animals had to be put down too, etc. God the Father doesn't have much regard for animal well being either.

So on one hand, I don't want to argue with her about the ethics of eating meat, but on other hand I do want to argue about Jesus not being vegan and point out that the only way to argue for a Biblical endorsement of veganism is by engaging in an extraordinary amount of cherry picking.

Of course, that's a big problem with divine command theory in general. Even if it gets the answer right, it provides bad reasons when good reasons are available.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
17-01-2016, 11:36 PM
[Image: abstinence99-434.jpg]

The other thing people don't realise about science which differentiates it from religion is that, the most exciting thing about being a scientist is not knowing and being wrong. Because that means there is a lot left to learn.

"Cosmic Connections" by Lawrence Krauss
[+] 12 users Like Fie's post
17-01-2016, 11:46 PM
[Image: 14ad1e12d4e3e668d80101997fa9401e.jpg]

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 13 users Like Heatheness's post
18-01-2016, 05:29 AM
(17-01-2016 10:46 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 10:31 AM)yakherder Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_nu3a6orM7b1rfq0ndo1_500.jpg]

A vegan friend shared that picture on Facebook with the following commentary:

"So sad that any of this is associated with the peaceful blessed heart of Jesus who was obviously vegan and lived His life and gave his life for the cause of non-violence in every regard."

I was so conflicted because I don't have a problem with anyone who is a vegan for ethical reasons. However, Jesus (as depicted in the Bible) was clearly not vegan and given the wholesale slaughter of animals in the O.T. for sacrifices, various genocides where the animals had to be put down too, etc. God the Father doesn't have much regard for animal well being either.

So on one hand, I don't want to argue with her about the ethics of eating meat, but on other hand I do want to argue about Jesus not being vegan and point out that the only way to argue for a Biblical endorsement of veganism is by engaging in an extraordinary amount of cherry picking.

Of course, that's a big problem with divine command theory in general. Even if it gets the answer right, it provides bad reasons when good reasons are available.

If someone can look at the data available in the world around them and conclude that the bible is true, then looking at the data in the bible and concluding that Jesus was vegan is a small stretch. The trap, of course, is that in trying to debate your point, as an atheist, you'd be forced to rely on biblical stories you already believe to be fiction. You could go all Socratic about it and just casually ask questions to emulate situations depicted in the bible without directly referencing it or informing them that the reason for your questions is your belief that they're full of shit. Smile

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
18-01-2016, 06:58 AM
(17-01-2016 10:46 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I was so conflicted because I don't have a problem with anyone who is a vegan for ethical reasons. However, Jesus (as depicted in the Bible) was clearly not vegan and given the wholesale slaughter of animals in the O.T. for sacrifices, various genocides where the animals had to be put down too, etc. God the Father doesn't have much regard for animal well being either.

Are you forgetting the story of Jesus multiplying the animal-product-free loaves and tofu faux-fish sticks to feed the 5000?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
18-01-2016, 08:10 AM
(18-01-2016 06:58 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 10:46 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I was so conflicted because I don't have a problem with anyone who is a vegan for ethical reasons. However, Jesus (as depicted in the Bible) was clearly not vegan and given the wholesale slaughter of animals in the O.T. for sacrifices, various genocides where the animals had to be put down too, etc. God the Father doesn't have much regard for animal well being either.

Are you forgetting the story of Jesus multiplying the animal-product-free loaves and tofu faux-fish sticks to feed the 5000?

That's like in vitro meat, it doesn't count, even if it's not faux.

'Murican Canadian
18-01-2016, 08:25 AM
(18-01-2016 06:58 AM)unfogged Wrote:  

You're right. I did forget the tofu fish sticks he used to feed the 5000. Blush

I also forgot the vital wheat gluten imitation lamb he ate for the passover meal. Dodgy

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
20-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Not a picture but...
NCAA Investigating God For Giving Gifts To Athletes

Quote:INDIANAPOLIS—Amid a new scandal that many are already calling the most damaging in the history of collegiate sports, the NCAA announced Tuesday that it has launched an investigation into God, Divine Creator of Heaven and Earth, for allegedly giving gifts to student-athletes.

Reports indicated that over the past several decades, the Almighty has provided hundreds of players from high-profile Division I football and basketball programs with abundant natural speed, strength, and agility, and both the universities and the players themselves are now said to be facing heavy sanctions and punishments.

“We take these allegations incredibly seriously and are doing everything in our power to determine the precise nature of God’s relationship with these college athletes,” said NCAA president Mark Emmert. “There is mounting evidence that the Lord—in blatant violation of NCAA rules and regulations—bestowed upon these players special and innate athletic abilities that other students never received.”

“Many of these young men were taking advantage of raw athletic skills as far back as high school and even middle school. God was clearly manipulating these kids from a very young age.”

“This type of behavior is completely unacceptable and threatens the very integrity of college sports,” Emmert continued. “And the NCAA will hold God fully accountable.”

According to sources close to the investigation, numerous players openly and brazenly flaunted their improperly gained athletic prowesses, while further evidence revealed that many coaches and university personnel were aware that these talents were God-given, but failed to alert the NCAA.

Reports confirmed that LSU, Tennessee, Notre Dame, UCLA, North Carolina, Oregon, USC, Louisville, Maryland, Rutgers, Alabama, Iowa, UConn, Boise State, San Diego State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Butler, Arkansas, Clemson, TCU, Washington State, Ole Miss, Baylor, UNLV, Vanderbilt, Syracuse, BC, Purdue, Ball State, Missouri, Wake Forest, Memphis, BYU, Pittsburgh, Duke, West Virginia, Virginia, Villanova, Kansas, Miami, Auburn, Ohio State, Penn State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida, Florida State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Arizona State, Michigan, Michigan State, Texas, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M are among the over 300 schools implicated in the scandal.

“These rules are in place not only to maintain the competitive balance of the NCAA, but also to protect the players themselves from being exploited,” Emmert said. “Many of these young men were taking advantage of raw athletic skills as far back as high school and even middle school. God was clearly manipulating these kids from a very young age.”

“Some student-athletes have claimed that they didn’t know they were doing anything wrong by using the abilities they were born with,” Emmert added. “But ignorance is not an excuse for violating NCAA regulations.”

While the NCAA’s investigation is reportedly still in its early stages, potential punishments could be incredibly severe, including probation, the loss of scholarships, the forfeiture of wins, and, if necessary, vacating the championships of any school found to be guilty of benefiting from gifts handed down by the Lord Almighty. Sources close to the situation also told reporters that former Auburn quarterback and current Carolina Panthers star Cam Newton may be stripped of his 2010 Heisman Trophy due to a suspected connection between God and Newton’s uncanny combination of size and quickness.

“We are all obviously appalled by the accusations and plan to fully cooperate with the NCAA during their investigation,” said University of Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione, who denied any knowledge of Sooners players receiving illegitimate gifts, but assured reporters that going forward, the school will strictly forbid any communication between student-athletes and God during church services or private moments of prayer. “The incredible hand-eye coordination, balance, and explosive speed—in hindsight, there’s no way most of these guys could have gotten any of that from their parents. That should have been a big red flag that something was wrong.”

“Maybe I was being naïve, but I just thought He was their Heavenly Father and Supreme Ruler,” Castiglione added. “I never thought He was breaking NCAA rules.”

At press time, NCAA officials had announced an eternal ban on God that will prevent Him from having any association with collegiate sports until the end of time.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 5 users Like yakherder's post
20-01-2016, 03:25 PM
[Image: fJlULcD.png]
[+] 18 users Like RobbyPants's post
20-01-2016, 09:23 PM
[Image: KPBivm0.jpg]

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 16 users Like Heatheness's post