Favourite pictures for a laugh at religion...

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Votes - 4.25 Average
23-06-2016, 09:15 PM
RE: Favourite pictures for a laugh at religion...
[Image: 052c72fb83322fc04906302dfbb2e58bb72392-v5-wm.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Full Circle's post
24-06-2016, 06:35 AM
(23-06-2016 01:10 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  [Image: pojALQI.jpg]

He already busted out his trump card (making us all speak different languages) 5,000 years ago. We've learned to cope with it, since then, so he's kind of screwed. Really, I think we all knew this was coming that first time we beat him with iron chariots. I think humanity is finally realizing we don't really need a god that can be run over by a one horsepower vehicle. Most people mow their lawns with heavier duty shit than that.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
24-06-2016, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2016 12:14 PM by thatoneguy.)
[Image: latest?cb=20140303192354]

EDIT:
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/powe...354%27%27;
because for some reason, the pic has been made small

The best thing about atheism is, since it's a LACK of belief, it can't be wrong.

The worst thing about atheism is, since it's a LACK of belief, it can't be right.
[+] 2 users Like thatoneguy's post
24-06-2016, 12:11 PM
[Image: 2vcb13o.jpg]

[Image: 124wpeg.jpg]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U90dnUbZMmM

Replaced bible verses

Verily
Isaiah 45:15
“Fuckin’ A, thou art a God that hidest thyself, O God of Israel, the Saviour.”

Behold
Exodus 6:29-30
The Lord said to Moses, “I am the Lord; tell Pharaoh king of Egypt all that I say to you.”
But Moses said to the Lord, “Look, buddy, I am but a poor speaker; how then shall Pharaoh listen to me?”

Truly I say unto you:
Matthew 5:18
“Can I get real with you for a minute? Till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.”

The Messiah
Revelation 12:10
“Then I heard a loud voice in heaven, proclaiming, ‘Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his King Shit of Fuck Mountain, for the accuser of our comrades has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God.'”

Thou shalt not
Exodus 20:4
“Mmm can u not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.”

Exodus 20:13
“can u not kill.”

Exodus 20:14
“Adultery: can u not.”

Exodus 20:15
“Can u not steal.”

Exodus 20:16
“can u not bear false witness against thy neighbour.”

Exodus 20:17
“Can u not covet thy neighbour’s house, can u not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s. can u just not.”

Exodus 22:18
“Please can u not suffer a witch to live.”

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
24-06-2016, 07:30 PM
(24-06-2016 06:35 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(23-06-2016 01:10 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  [Image: pojALQI.jpg]

He already busted out his trump card (making us all speak different languages) 5,000 years ago. We've learned to cope with it, since then, so he's kind of screwed. Really, I think we all knew this was coming that first time we beat him with iron chariots. I think humanity is finally realizing we don't really need a god that can be run over by a one horsepower vehicle. Most people mow their lawns with heavier duty shit than that.

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but when was that? (I should probably just Google it, but...) And thanks, now I have a mental image of Hank Hill leading a Rohirim-esque charge of men on riding lawn mowers. "Well Lord, I'll tell you what, I'm dang angry you canceled the propane contract to heat the fires of Hell!" That or God as a member of the Fae.

--

[Image: ev6iArB.jpg]

[Image: RHkAcMT.png]

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 6 users Like Shai Hulud's post
24-06-2016, 07:55 PM
(24-06-2016 07:30 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 06:35 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  He already busted out his trump card (making us all speak different languages) 5,000 years ago. We've learned to cope with it, since then, so he's kind of screwed. Really, I think we all knew this was coming that first time we beat him with iron chariots. I think humanity is finally realizing we don't really need a god that can be run over by a one horsepower vehicle. Most people mow their lawns with heavier duty shit than that.

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but when was that? (I should probably just Google it, but...) And thanks, now I have a mental image of Hank Hill leading a Rohirim-esque charge of men on riding lawn mowers. "Well Lord, I'll tell you what, I'm dang angry you canceled the propane contract to heat the fires of Hell!" That or God as a member of the Fae.

--

OK, I will bridle the beast called reason, and ask the question that must be running through many an atheistic person's mind here on this forum.

When are you at least going to admit, at least to yourself, that you are an atheist, or at least somewhere on the road to that? Huh You are WAY smarter than the usual theist we see around. Nah, make that EVERY (almost, we have Aliza and Dierdre) theist. Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
24-06-2016, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2016 08:53 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(24-06-2016 07:55 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 07:30 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I know I'm going to regret asking this, but when was that? (I should probably just Google it, but...) And thanks, now I have a mental image of Hank Hill leading a Rohirim-esque charge of men on riding lawn mowers. "Well Lord, I'll tell you what, I'm dang angry you canceled the propane contract to heat the fires of Hell!" That or God as a member of the Fae.

--

OK, I will bridle the beast called reason, and ask the question that must be running through many an atheistic person's mind here on this forum.

When are you at least going to admit, at least to yourself, that you are an atheist, or at least somewhere on the road to that? Huh You are WAY smarter than the usual theist we see around. Nah, make that EVERY (almost, we have Aliza and Dierdre) theist. Yes

I was going to say, "What about Aliza and KC? Pretty sure they're both smarter than me" Haven't really seen Deirdre's posts, but if you're lumping her with Aliza, I'll concede she is as well, to be in such company. And seriously man, thanks for the compliment, I do appreciate it.

As for the question itself; maybe I have and I'm afraid of it? Looking at things from sociological and anthropological perspective, conversion or deconversion is rarely instantaneous, it tends to be a process. Usually part of this process is unconscious on the part of the person who is going through it, with things like the changing of opinions that were previously held to a closer stance to that of the group the person may be heading for, or the unconscious adaptation of the group language, so to speak, when discussing issues. Having converted to Catholicism as an adult, I actually have a very keen sense of what the process of conversion or deconversion would feel like to an extent, because I wrestled with it for years before finally attending RCIA and taking the plunge into the Tiber, as it were. And while I've not said as much except via PM to one or two of you, even though I believe in my God, believe in (if we're to be totally honest about the state of Catholicism in America) more precepts of my church than probably a good 90% or so if its American adherents (and dare I say probably at least a tenth or so if its clergy), get very uncomfortable with blasphemous humor, and pray to Him daily (though my prayer life sucks donkey balls right now)...yes, I'm afraid that I probably am on that path unless I have another Saint Paul on the way to Damascus moment. Listening to the TTA podcast, fighting with my co-religionists over certain issues, etc. really didn't make me question that, nearly as much as finding myself nodding along in agreement to Jaclyn Glenn videos did, because I used to despise her stuff.

As for the Noah's Ark cartoons...I've never been a Biblical literalist, even as a Baptist. And I've never gotten along with Catholic Traditionalists, period, as they've always reminded me of the Pharisees. Between Facebook and another Catholic forum I'm on, there are no less than 3 marriage threads going on right now with people trying to defend why they're not going to family members' civil weddings lest it look like they're endorsing an "invalid marriage".

And on the note of the iron chariots, I succumbed to Google, and the translations are all over the place. KJV is "he" but seems to imply it's the people of Judah, not the Lord. The Duoay Rheims says "armed with scythes" instead of "chariots of iron", and the NIV says "they" to explicitly refer to the men of Judah instead of God. So yay contradictory translations; this is why I have the leftover Protestant habit of having like seven different Bible translations in my apartment. No I'm not joking, I totally do.

Edit: Because I feel guilty replying and not posting an image. (Totally had Baptist guilt before Catholic guilt.)
[Image: BKjwflJ.png]

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 5 users Like Shai Hulud's post
24-06-2016, 09:16 PM
(24-06-2016 08:50 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 07:55 PM)Fireball Wrote:  OK, I will bridle the beast called reason, and ask the question that must be running through many an atheistic person's mind here on this forum.

I was going to say, "What about Aliza and KC? Pretty sure they're both smarter than me" Haven't really seen Deirdre's posts, but if you're lumping her with Aliza, I'll concede she is as well, to be in such company. And seriously man, thanks for the compliment, I do appreciate it.

As for the question itself; maybe I have and I'm afraid of it? Looking at things from sociological and anthropological perspective, conversion or deconversion is rarely instantaneous, it tends to be a process. Usually part of this process is unconscious on the part of the person who is going through it, with things like the changing of opinions that were previously held to a closer stance to that of the group the person may be heading for, or the unconscious adaptation of the group language, so to speak, when discussing issues. Having converted to Catholicism as an adult, I actually have a very keen sense of what the process of conversion or deconversion would feel like to an extent, because I wrestled with it for years before finally attending RCIA and taking the plunge into the Tiber, as it were. And while I've not said as much except via PM to one or two of you, even though I believe in my God, believe in (if we're to be totally honest about the state of Catholicism in America) more precepts of my church than probably a good 90% or so if its American adherents (and dare I say probably at least a tenth or so if its clergy), get very uncomfortable with blasphemous humor, and pray to Him daily (though my prayer life sucks donkey balls right now)...yes, I'm afraid that I probably am on that path unless I have another Saint Paul on the way to Damascus moment. Listening to the TTA podcast, fighting with my co-religionists over certain issues, etc. really didn't make me question that, nearly as much as finding myself nodding along in agreement to Jaclyn Glenn videos did, because I used to despise her stuff.

As for the Noah's Ark cartoons...I've never been a Biblical literalist, even as a Baptist. And I've never gotten along with Catholic Traditionalists, period, as they've always reminded me of the Pharisees. Between Facebook and another Catholic forum I'm on, there are no less than 3 marriage threads going on right now with people trying to defend why they're not going to family members' civil weddings lest it look like they're endorsing an "invalid marriage".

And on the note of the iron chariots, I succumbed to Google, and the translations are all over the place. KJV is "he" but seems to imply it's the people of Judah, not the Lord. The Duoay Rheims says "armed with scythes" instead of "chariots of iron", and the NIV says "they" to explicitly refer to the men of Judah instead of God. So yay contradictory translations; this is why I have the leftover Protestant habit of having like seven different Bible translations in my apartment. No I'm not joking, I totally do.

Edit: Because I feel guilty replying and not posting an image. (Totally had Baptist guilt before Catholic guilt.)

Not all posts here have to have images, within reason. I consider it far more important to address where a person is on the road to reason. Believe me when I say to you that I had incredible difficulty and internal turmoil when I addressed my lack of belief. I didn't believe for years before I could admit it, even to myself. I felt dirty and bad for not believing, when I finally acknowledged it to myself. At least two of my three sons are atheists. But still, 10 years after the realization, I haven't told my wife. It is really tough listening to a True Believer say the things they say, when I have NO belief in it. Please consider how much guilt that religion has laid on you, that you feel compelled to post a picture, just to conform, in an atheist forum.
24-06-2016, 10:06 PM
(24-06-2016 08:50 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 07:55 PM)Fireball Wrote:  OK, I will bridle the beast called reason, and ask the question that must be running through many an atheistic person's mind here on this forum.

I too was raised RCC. I was NEVER given the following list of dogmas, I understand why now as an adult, there are some truly batshit things here.

http://www.theworkofgod.org/dogmas.htm

[Image: e74eb5b598dea6980eb6c5e124a67dc9.jpg]

Limbo

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
24-06-2016, 10:36 PM
Not sure if this has been shared yet

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 4 users Like Captain Congo's post