Favourite pictures for a laugh at religion...

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Votes - 4.25 Average
17-12-2016, 07:47 PM
RE: Favourite pictures for a laugh at religion...
(17-12-2016 01:07 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  To those who aren't douchebags, and actually care about how to use words:

"Triggering" refers to something that can evoke memories (and thus a major reaction/meltdown) related to Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, such as 4th of July fireworks making an Iraq War veteran have a panic reaction, so a "trigger warning" would be a sign near where fireworks are going to be exploded soon, telling veterans that it might be a good idea to be somewhere else.

The chick in the glasses that he's making fun of with the "triggering intensifies" thing was Melody Hensley on Twitter, who tried to explain to military people that making fun of non-military people who had PTSD was a disgrace, given that the military has such high rates of PTSD sufferers.

Getting pissed off at some asshole thing an asshole says is not triggering. It's just calling you an asshole for being an asshole.

Using it as a shield to make fun of people for calling you out on being an asshole just makes you a double asshole, because you're lying about liberals and then going on to mock people with a serious psychological condition, large numbers of whom are veterans damaged by service to our country.

So, as I said before, you clearly don't understand what the word means, and you're pathetic if you think it "triggers" me, as if I have PTSD from Islam.

Wow. You seem really...

triggered.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2016, 08:35 PM
He's just not going to cut you any slack for continuing to shit all over the carpet.
18-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Here you go, Gilly. I'll extend an olive branch and try to share in your peculiar sense of humor. Tongue

[Image: be1869297bc5d2abddcbea7d3c0d8d0d.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 9 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-12-2016, 12:34 PM
[Image: 28k5yqq.jpg][Image: 2zi1uvl.jpg]

Oh, Alan Heart

(They were talking about Earl Grey the tea and the baron it was named after. Apparently the 1st Baron of Grey lead the most nepotistic, aristocratic government in history. Like someone on the panel said, they should have called it 50 shades of grey Rolleyes )

(From a previous episode (think it was Sandy, who said it): And for those of you who don't know, Magic Mike is a humble story of a male stripper who really wants
to be a carpenter, very much like Jesus.
Big Grin

[Image: dd4e97886787dcfdabe6c00e3b2c29d7.jpg]

[Image: d6e25c68ee5a71524b69f474e6e20dc3.jpg])

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
18-12-2016, 02:08 PM
(17-12-2016 07:47 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(17-12-2016 01:07 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  To those who aren't douchebags, and actually care about how to use words:

"Triggering" refers to something that can evoke memories (and thus a major reaction/meltdown) related to Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, such as 4th of July fireworks making an Iraq War veteran have a panic reaction, so a "trigger warning" would be a sign near where fireworks are going to be exploded soon, telling veterans that it might be a good idea to be somewhere else.

The chick in the glasses that he's making fun of with the "triggering intensifies" thing was Melody Hensley on Twitter, who tried to explain to military people that making fun of non-military people who had PTSD was a disgrace, given that the military has such high rates of PTSD sufferers.

Getting pissed off at some asshole thing an asshole says is not triggering. It's just calling you an asshole for being an asshole.

Using it as a shield to make fun of people for calling you out on being an asshole just makes you a double asshole, because you're lying about liberals and then going on to mock people with a serious psychological condition, large numbers of whom are veterans damaged by service to our country.

So, as I said before, you clearly don't understand what the word means, and you're pathetic if you think it "triggers" me, as if I have PTSD from Islam.

Wow. You seem really...

triggered.

Biggest waste of space I have seen on this forum yet.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
18-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Videos are image things, right? It certainly is funny
https://www.facebook.com/clickhole/video...2605889664

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
19-12-2016, 07:24 AM

What I hate about the notion of triggering someone, requires being a psychic to know things you shouldn't know about someone. For example, you buy your wife a gift. Let's say for this example it is a teddy bear. It happens to be purple, because that is her favorite color. You walk by some 20 year old woman that reacts quite violently to seeing it. How were you supposed to have any idea that someone had been screwing her since she was 5 and always used a purple teddy bear in the process? Or if you use certain words, you might set someone off? We all have shit in our past that come up from time to time that causes stress. You can't take it out on someone that could not possibly know. Then again, I am in my late thirties. I was taught to keep certain shit to myself.
19-12-2016, 08:04 AM
(19-12-2016 07:24 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  What I hate about the notion of triggering someone, requires being a psychic to know things you shouldn't know about someone. For example, you buy your wife a gift. Let's say for this example it is a teddy bear. It happens to be purple, because that is her favorite color. You walk by some 20 year old woman that reacts quite violently to seeing it. How were you supposed to have any idea that someone had been screwing her since she was 5 and always used a purple teddy bear in the process? Or if you use certain words, you might set someone off? We all have shit in our past that come up from time to time that causes stress. You can't take it out on someone that could not possibly know. Then again, I am in my late thirties. I was taught to keep certain shit to myself.

Yeah, you cannot predict other people's reactions to everything. That's both impossible, and not what's actually being requested. A sensible example of an appropriate 'trigger warning' would be in a film study class, where the teacher is about to show a clip to the class for further discussion. If the subject happens to be the Jodie Foster gang rape scene from The Accused, throwing up a friendly warning beforehand for the benefit of those in the class who might have suffered from sexual assault? That is the least the teacher can do. It's an incredibly hard scene to watch as a 30+ year old white male, let alone as a 18+ year old victim of sexual assault.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-12-2016, 08:15 AM
(19-12-2016 08:04 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 07:24 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  What I hate about the notion of triggering someone, requires being a psychic to know things you shouldn't know about someone. For example, you buy your wife a gift. Let's say for this example it is a teddy bear. It happens to be purple, because that is her favorite color. You walk by some 20 year old woman that reacts quite violently to seeing it. How were you supposed to have any idea that someone had been screwing her since she was 5 and always used a purple teddy bear in the process? Or if you use certain words, you might set someone off? We all have shit in our past that come up from time to time that causes stress. You can't take it out on someone that could not possibly know. Then again, I am in my late thirties. I was taught to keep certain shit to myself.

Yeah, you cannot predict other people's reactions to everything. That's both impossible, and not what's actually being requested. A sensible example of an appropriate 'trigger warning' would be in a film study class, where the teacher is about to show a clip to the class for further discussion. If the subject happens to be the Jodie Foster gang rape scene from The Accused, throwing up a friendly warning beforehand for the benefit of those in the class who might have suffered from sexual assault? That is the least the teacher can do. It's an incredibly hard scene to watch as a 30+ year old white male, let alone as a 18+ female college student.

I understand what you are saying. I also have seen examples of people asking for the impossible.

I know it is not exactly what is being discussed, but they get "triggered" by use of the wrong "pronoun" triggers some idiots.
19-12-2016, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2016 08:28 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(19-12-2016 08:15 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I understand what you are saying. I also have seen examples of people asking for the impossible.

I know it is not exactly what is being discussed, but they get "triggered" by use of the wrong "pronoun" triggers some idiots.

Intent matters. If no offense was meant, then none should be taken. If you use a pronoun, and the person tell you they prefer another, I'd go by their preference. If they got pissed at me for not guessing correctly, especially if it's uncommon? That's on them. But if I were to go out of my way to refuse something so simple after being made aware of their preference? Now I'm the asshole.

What would you think of a religious believer if they refused to acknowledge your lack of faith and label of atheist? "No, you don't really disbelieve in god, everyone believes in god!" They'd be a cunt. But likewise, I don't think we should be freaking out over people saying 'bless you' when we sneeze. Intent matters.

Appropriate trigger warnings are a courtesy. Beating people over the head with the term, or using it as a tool for censorship, is missing the point.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post