Fb message

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2013, 04:50 PM
RE: Fb message
Got my attention with mentioning serial killers, but then the post went a bunch of different ways at once Undecided

Perhaps you could rewrite this using proper paragraph structure and (the biggest revision) rethink your "argument" or opening statement. One shouldn't start with a sentence that grabs attention, only to throw a bunch of random and rambling "points" throughout.

I'm also quite confused about the title; Did YOU write this on Facebook? Did somebody write it and you thought it was worth sharing on a site that atheists frequent?

Reevaluate your essay and then repost is my suggestion. You'll get more thought-provoking discussion from your readers than comments about how their head hurts or that they're "dizzy" after reading it.

P.S.- Spell check Smile

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Chuck,

So a god creates billions of people, each of whom he loves. He is love. All love comes from him. He prepares a place called heaven for a statistically insignificant number of his creations, and a place called hell where everyone else goes.

Is this a good god?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
01-04-2013, 05:27 PM
(01-04-2013 03:20 PM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  Imagine for instance a serial killer. Ill call him Bob. Bob goes out at night through the streets and targets young people and kills them. After a year he has killed over 3 dozen people. Eventually the police catch him. He is convicted by a judge and sentenced to life imprisonment.

In this scenario, god watches all these people get killed, perhaps tortured like the BTK serial killer. God doesn't stop any of this, nor does he punish this person. We, humans, brought him to some degree of justice.

Everything else you wrote was all unfounded assertions made without a shred of evidence. I could change those assertions any way I wanted and they would make as much sense as what you wrote.

Listen to every word of this video.
Matt Dillahunty says it best

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
01-04-2013, 06:38 PM
The rambling lack of structure makes me think of whiskey... Smile
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
01-04-2013, 06:54 PM
I'm planning on having a couple of hypothetical children. I'm going to allow them to do anything they want for the first 10 years of their lives. Then at the age 10 I'm going to whip them with a leather strap once for every time they did something wrong for the last 10 years.

They won't have any education, no potty training, very little linguistic skills because I'm never going to speak around them and truthfully, the leather strap beatings will more than likely kill them.

Now this only happens once, but if they should die and arrive before your imaginary god, a god they were never raised to know even exists, they will be sent to hell and then tortured for eternity

As bizarre as my behavior is, it's infinitely less painful that your god's eternally tortuous behavior.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
01-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Ok whoa back up this was sent to me on fb I forgot to mention that I am an atheist someone sent this to me in a pm.

"Invisible pink unicorns" and "Screaming blue ants" Matt Slick
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ChuckTesta's post
01-04-2013, 07:58 PM
(01-04-2013 07:38 PM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  Ok whoa back up this was sent to me on fb I forgot to mention that I am an atheist someone sent this to me in a pm.
SEE?! That's a start... Gotta clarify this stuff when you post. It REALLY sounded like YOU posted it Unsure

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
01-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Sorry I thought fb would be enough but you're right.

"Invisible pink unicorns" and "Screaming blue ants" Matt Slick
02-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Pretty Calvinist view of Christianity.

It's not an argument, there's barely any logic to it. It's simply a series of somewhat interlocking claims. It's a view presented, not a view justified. Halfway decent as an explanation of WHAT some people believe, but not why they (or you) would believe it. Insofar that it was made in response to the "wait, how can Hitler be in Heaven and Ghandi in Hell" question, it's a decent response to it.

Also, an omnipotent God constrained by his perfect justice to sentence everyone to eternal torture with no consideration to the extent or nature of their sins or the countervailing good acts they have performed in life, strikes me as inconsistent. But experience tells me that enough theological rigmarole can be spun to address or at least obfuscate that inconsistency.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
02-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Of course it's not an argument. It's a drive-by.

And! Facebook is for Gwynnies! Heart

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post