Fear of Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 11:54 AM
RE: Fear of Death
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
-Mark Twain

Fundamentalism / Evangelicalism is basically a minority position in world religions. Trying to base generalizations based on experience from a minority position (in religion) is dangerous and misguided. I actually know and interacted with a lot of liberal Protestants and Catholics. Fear of death was never a subject I ever hear/heard about.

Just more fallacious projecting from someone whose worldview remains Evangelical.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2017, 09:36 PM
RE: Fear of Death
(09-07-2017 11:30 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 10:56 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  But, what the OP says is so true, fear is a powerful tool to staying locked in ''belief.'' I'd consider myself spiritual now, not following any particular religion, and not really living life to its fullest, because when you're in fear, even just a little, it keeps you in place. You can't move forward or backwards, you just stay stuck. Thanks for your comment, it is really helpful as this is something that's crept back up on me over the past weeks and I can't rug sweep it away.
Fear is indeed a powerful tool. I'm afraid of dying. I really am. I'm not afraid of what comes after death because there is nothing. It's the fear of being in pain at the end that scares the living daylights out of me. My feeling is that most people, if they were being truthful, feel like this. But you know what? You know what scares me the most? Finding out that I had wasted my life on a lie and not having lived life to the full and expecting there to be more after death and finding out, when it's too late, that this is all there is. Then, trust me, if this were the case, I would be so pissed.

As someone who started believing in after life and all other sorts of religious concepts, I don't think I would be pissed like you describe. Believing that there is a "higher" reality and considering this life as "inferior" I lost most of my "earthly" motivations. I don't perceive it as something bad however, because I'm no longer disturbed by my previous attachments and I'm living a very calm life, without the ups and downs I previously had, there is not much for me to be upset about and I almost always have a faint smile on my face and I think that's good enough for me. I don't think I would regret when I find that all I had believed was a lie.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply