Fear of Flying GONE

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2017, 11:17 PM
Fear of Flying GONE
I used to love flying. Loved it. But, after a few flights with literally hours of turbulence I developed a horrible fear. I was filled with anxiety and would have panic attacks when boarding a plane. I tried prayer, reading scripture, none of it worked. The more religious I became the worse my fear grew. Oddly enough when I became an Atheist it changed my world view in ways I did not expect. It took from me my fear of death, as well as my need to be in CONTROL of things. Becoming an Atheist helped me to trust the wisdom of science and to put my trust in things I could see, instead of having blind faith in things I could not see. I never thought coming out as an Atheist would have done that but I have found that it has helped me get over some antisocial world views.

I flew coast to coast a few days ago ( in thunderstorms) and listened to Seth Andrews podcast while taking off. Being afraid seemed unintelligent and a waste of energy.

Thanks for reading.

"If all the historic books of the Bible were blotted from the memory of mankind, nothing of value would be lost."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Oaken's post
28-07-2017, 11:28 PM
RE: Fear of Flying GONE
Heart

Hug

Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
29-07-2017, 06:08 AM
I've been flying my whole life, as my dad was a commercial pilot.

I never had a fear of flying. I get bored on airliners and just go to sleep.

But I get nervous on a ladder, and scared shitless on anything higher.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
29-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Thanks for sharing Smile I am a commercial pilot, and have talked to many with those fears, and taken a few up for their first small plane ride.
29-07-2017, 09:44 AM
(29-07-2017 06:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've been flying my whole life, as my dad was a commercial pilot.

I never had a fear of flying. I get bored on airliners and just go to sleep.

But I get nervous on a ladder, and scared shitless on anything higher.

Plane seats were made for tiny oriental people with tiny Asian asses. My ass doesn't fit in the seat. I bring secobarbitol with me. It helps so I don't notice and wake up when I flop all over everyone else in the aisle. Best flight I ever had was when two 300 lb guys were in the aisle with me. We just kinda gelled into one big pile of snoring lard waking up only long enough for the stewardess to feed us because we couldn't move our arms. Even the children crying in front and behind and beside us couldn't wake us from our slumber.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-07-2017, 09:48 AM
(29-07-2017 09:36 AM)skyking Wrote:  Thanks for sharing Smile I am a commercial pilot, and have talked to many with those fears, and taken a few up for their first small plane ride.

I have an EPIC fear of flying. Sadcryface I once boarded an airplane, buckled my seat belt then panicked and fled leaving my husband and two kids to go on the trip without me. I've tried therapy and doing a flying video game but I knew it wasn't real so I didn't get much out of it. I've tried taking drugs like xanax, like 5 of them at a time , but it made the panic worse. My body overrode the drug or something.

I'm a mess when it comes to flying. I don't know what triggered it. I never had a particularly horrible flight or anything. I've just kinda given up and accepted that this is the way I am.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-07-2017, 12:27 PM
I'm terrified with flying. Even though I'm rational, and read all the statistics about how safe it is, I really hate being in the air having my life relying only on the well functioning of the engine. Next thursday I'm taking the plane alone for the first time in my life, I'm quite scared about it, but very excited for my travel.
29-07-2017, 06:46 PM
(29-07-2017 09:48 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 09:36 AM)skyking Wrote:  Thanks for sharing Smile I am a commercial pilot, and have talked to many with those fears, and taken a few up for their first small plane ride.

I have an EPIC fear of flying. Sadcryface I once boarded an airplane, buckled my seat belt then panicked and fled leaving my husband and two kids to go on the trip without me. I've tried therapy and doing a flying video game but I knew it wasn't real so I didn't get much out of it. I've tried taking drugs like xanax, like 5 of them at a time , but it made the panic worse. My body overrode the drug or something.

I'm a mess when it comes to flying. I don't know what triggered it. I never had a particularly horrible flight or anything. I've just kinda given up and accepted that this is the way I am.
Hug
29-07-2017, 07:27 PM
(29-07-2017 09:48 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

There is a fear of flying group on Facebook that helps a lot of people out. They provide support before, during and after you fly.

"If all the historic books of the Bible were blotted from the memory of mankind, nothing of value would be lost."

Robert Green Ingersoll
29-07-2017, 07:29 PM
(29-07-2017 12:27 PM)Sturm Wrote:  I'm terrified with flying. Even though I'm rational, and read all the statistics about how safe it is, I really hate being in the air having my life relying only on the well functioning of the engine. Next thursday I'm taking the plane alone for the first time in my life, I'm quite scared about it, but very excited for my travel.

Check out the Fear of Flying group on Facebook. It has helped a lot of people. People will encourage you and even track your flight as you fly and give you kudos and congrats after you land.

Robert Green Ingersoll