Fear of Flying GONE

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2017, 07:37 PM
RE: Fear of Flying GONE
(29-07-2017 07:27 PM)Oaken Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 09:48 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I have an EPIC fear of flying. Sadcryface I once boarded an airplane, buckled my seat belt then panicked and fled leaving my husband and two kids to go on the trip without me. I've tried therapy and doing a flying video game but I knew it wasn't real so I didn't get much out of it. I've tried taking drugs like xanax, like 5 of them at a time , but it made the panic worse. My body overrode the drug or something.

I'm a mess when it comes to flying. I don't know what triggered it. I never had a particularly horrible flight or anything. I've just kinda given up and accepted that this is the way I am.

There is a fear of flying group on Facebook that helps a lot of people out. They provide support before, during and after you fly.

I don't do facebook. I've tried other online fear of flying groups and it sort of makes me worse. I can't figure out why it makes me worse. It's like other peoples fears feed my fears. I've always been very imaginative and unfortunately I imagine the plane is going to crash. I would start these thoughts about two or three weeks before I fly and by the time it's time to get on the plane I just can't do it. I've wasted hundreds of dollars worth of plane tickets doing this so I just decided not to even try anymore.

I know it's illogical and irrational. I really do, but I can't make the transition out of the irrational and into a rational place. My imaginative brain always take over.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Girly, my dear, you certainly know how to paint a picture. I may never stop laughing. (Of course, seeing as I'm sick and laughing makes me start coughing and suffocating, it might not take long Dodgy )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2017, 10:00 PM
So no Erica Jong in this thread? How are we going to discuss Fear of Flying? (Too bad, funniest description of reluctant cunnilingus performed by a straight woman ever.)

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 3 users Like whateverist's post
29-07-2017, 10:44 PM
I've sworn to never fly again...sober, anyway Dodgy

Like you I used to LOVE flying. It was like a giant rollercoaster and the best part was taking off. Then, growing up through 9/11 and all the other sh!t that's gone on for the past couple decades, I slowly lost my confidence. Even worse, I started to hate the lack of control, and I've gotten really claustrophobic over the years.

The last time I flew I was 21. I was alone. Was a lil anxious but everything went well until we hit the tarmac. It was all I can do to keep composed. When we sped up and started to lift off, I had my legs tucked to my chest and couldn't look outside. When we started to cruise I finally relaxed enough to open up my laptop. Where I bought their internet package. And immediately started to watch plane crash videos Dodgy

By the time we landed a few hours later, I had to peel myself off the seat xD

I immediately treated myself to a much needed Cinnabun and have been terrified since. I'm quite happy to be stuck on Earth even if I have a higher chance of being smooshed by a vending machine than dying in a fiery plane crash.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
30-07-2017, 10:17 AM
(29-07-2017 10:44 PM)Loom Wrote:  I've sworn to never fly again...sober, anyway Dodgy

Like you I used to LOVE flying. It was like a giant rollercoaster and the best part was taking off. Then, growing up through 9/11 and all the other sh!t that's gone on for the past couple decades, I slowly lost my confidence. Even worse, I started to hate the lack of control, and I've gotten really claustrophobic over the years.

The last time I flew I was 21. I was alone. Was a lil anxious but everything went well until we hit the tarmac. It was all I can do to keep composed. When we sped up and started to lift off, I had my legs tucked to my chest and couldn't look outside. When we started to cruise I finally relaxed enough to open up my laptop. Where I bought their internet package. And immediately started to watch plane crash videos Dodgy

By the time we landed a few hours later, I had to peel myself off the seat xD

I immediately treated myself to a much needed Cinnabun and have been terrified since. I'm quite happy to be stuck on Earth even if I have a higher chance of being smooshed by a vending machine than dying in a fiery plane crash.

I haven't flown in about 20 years. The last time is when we were boarding the plane and I turned around and fled in terror. The 9/11 thing was odd for me though because a couple of weeks afterwards I felt as if I'd be ok flying. It was as if the worst plane disaster had taken place and nothing could possible be as bad. It was almost cathartic or something. Really strange reaction to such a horrible event. That feeling passed in about 6 or 7 months though. I should have tried to fly after 9/11. I donno. I might have been just as panicked anyway.

You're watching plane crashes is so funny because I'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame. It's weird.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
30-07-2017, 10:25 AM
(29-07-2017 06:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've been flying my whole life, as my dad was a commercial pilot.

I never had a fear of flying. I get bored on airliners and just go to sleep.

But I get nervous on a ladder, and scared shitless on anything higher.

Dad wasn't a pilot but we flew halfway across the country to visit family many times, from before I can even remember...no fear, ever. I have flown in small planes and large airbuses and everything in between.

I don't really think about bucket list things but there is one thing I still want to do and that's to ride in a helicopter.

Ladders are definitely a 'no' for me too. In fact, I don't do well standing on one the tall chairs in the kitchen when I have to reach something in an upper cabinet. Sadcryface

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
02-08-2017, 04:37 AM
Flying is just plain azz cool.

It's that nagging EPIC fear of crashing that's hard to suppress?!

That is why ballooning is totally out of the question for me. Next to no control what so ever, just a retarded: "UP command" is all you have?
Borderline ignorant really IMO. You gonna crash land man.

The bucket list is full of wants for paragliding at Telluride , ultralights on the beach and that jet-pac rig, is really hot stuff, but Rolleyes

Yes, Helicoptering over the grand canyon and Hawaii are a must.

You have to be odd to be #1.
02-08-2017, 10:30 AM
(02-08-2017 04:37 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  Flying is just plain azz cool.

It's that nagging EPIC fear of crashing that's hard to suppress?!

That is why ballooning is totally out of the question for me. Next to no control what so ever, just a retarded: "UP command" is all you have?
Borderline ignorant really IMO. You gonna crash land man.

The bucket list is full of wants for paragliding at Telluride , ultralights on the beach and that jet-pac rig, is really hot stuff, but Rolleyes

Yes, Helicoptering over the grand canyon and Hawaii are a must.

I agree about the balloon. I got over my fear of flying but 'The Call of the Void' is real. I don't think I would do well standing in a freaking basket so high up. Tall ferris wheels are enough of a struggle. The monkey/bird part of my brain wants me to jump.

"If all the historic books of the Bible were blotted from the memory of mankind, nothing of value would be lost."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Oaken's post
02-08-2017, 11:14 AM
That's great to hear!

I don't have a fear of flying, but I do hate air travel because of the horrible customer service and awful discomfort.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like ShadowProject's post
02-08-2017, 01:06 PM
GirlyMan Wrote:Plane seats were made for tiny oriental people with tiny Asian asses. My ass doesn't fit in the seat.
First off I agree!

But now I got edjumacated seriously on not usin' that out dated word "oriental". Asian is hip now, or perhas if we changed to "Ornamental"?

You have to be odd to be #1.