Fear of Flying GONE

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2017, 01:54 PM
RE: Fear of Flying GONE
The only time I've ever been afraid in the air was when I was young. The Fokker F27 carrying Mom, Sis, and me got caught in a thunderhead on approach to D/FW. The plane was dropping and climbing 20 or 40 feet at a pop.

Never been on a flight like that before, or since, though I figure I've flown a hundred thousand miles or so as a passenger. No fear of flying here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
02-08-2017, 02:00 PM
(29-07-2017 06:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've been flying my whole life, as my dad was a commercial pilot.

I never had a fear of flying. I get bored on airliners and just go to sleep.

But I get nervous on a ladder, and scared shitless on anything higher.

That's like me. 30,000 ft and I'm like "oohh look at the pretty clouds. That one looks like a duck." But 30 ft and I'm like "WE ALL GONNA DIE!"

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-08-2017, 05:27 PM
(02-08-2017 02:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 06:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've been flying my whole life, as my dad was a commercial pilot.

I never had a fear of flying. I get bored on airliners and just go to sleep.

But I get nervous on a ladder, and scared shitless on anything higher.

That's like me. 30,000 ft and I'm like "oohh look at the pretty clouds. That one looks like a duck." But 30 ft and I'm like "WE ALL GONNA DIE!"

I used to be that way until Air Force Fire School. The two days we spent on ladder-work culminated in our test for that phase: fully bunkered-out and breathing on SCBA, climb a 36' extension ladder to the fourth rung from the top carrying a charged 1½" handline, lock in with one leg, lean backwards with no hands on the ladder, and discharge the handline. After that, I knew two simple things: don't look down, and trust the guy pulling the ladder into the building.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post