Fear of Theocracy Groundless

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2015, 04:45 AM
Fear of Theocracy Groundless
From time to time the fear of theocratic takeover gets expressed, lately a fear that parts of the US or the whole country will impose sharia law, or from the secular that christianity will infest/infect US gov't to the point of theocracy being incorporated into the constitution.

Such fears are groundless. Humanity won't stand for it.

This is the entire planet's forms of government.

Theocracy is so tiny it's little more than annotation for a handful of countries. Mankind has made its choice and that choice is resoundingly and overwhelmingly secular.

Larger than theocracy by far is the remaining cohort of authoritarianism, yet that is a thin wedge in the pie chart of governance and in steady decline. The momentum of our species is toward representative democracy, and a literate constituency.

ISIS and the GOP haven't got a prayer.

Thank god Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
10-09-2015, 05:37 AM
RE: Fear of Theocracy Groundless
It doesn't have to be an official theocracy for legislatures to pass laws that favor religious ideas and penalize those who don't toe the line. It's still against the law in some states--although these laws aren't currently enforced, from what I understand--for an atheist to hold public office. Abortions are extremely difficult for women to obtain in some states because of laws passed by fundie-Christian-dominated government, and if the GOP gets its way, soon the other 97% of Planned Parenthood's health services will not be available to lower income women nationwide.

People who feel threatened at the level that Christian fundamentalists do (encouraged by cynical politicians and businessmen looking for buck) are energetic and passionate. They run for office and vote and donate lots of money to aligned PACs and politicians.

I'm not worried about Christians taking over and declaring a theocracy. I'm worried about conservative Christians winning elections over the next couple of cycles and then having two to six years to write and pass legislation designed to "take back" America for Christ. It won't be a theocracy, but I and many people I love won't have as many civil rights and freedoms.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
10-09-2015, 05:53 AM
(10-09-2015 04:45 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  ...
Such fears are groundless. Humanity won't stand for it.

Hi there. Humanity here, with a gentle reminder that the continuing not-standing-for-it is a full-time job.

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-09-2015, 05:56 AM
Theocracy could be impossible - though I don't think so - but sadly it does not prevent clergy from having much power in certain countries; Poland could serve as example. Politicians there have no problem with giving money to the church and words of clergy heavily influence various decisions in which church have a stake, like right to abortion. Also law against blasphemy is still in effect and it is still used. Poland is country where church has it dirty hands in nearly everything starting with schools.

As for humanity won't standing for something - humanity care not. Humanity care not for genocides, famine or wars so neither it will care about threat of theocracy. When one is looking to the past one can see that freedom isn't necesarilly valued nor are rights of others, such classic examples as III Reich or USSR suffice as example I think. People only need idea and charismatic leader coupled with bad economy to start the oppresion. It isn't impossible for horrors of the past to repeat, as Albert Camus aptly wrote:
Quote:the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good; that it can lie dormant for years and years . . . and that perhaps the day would come when . . . it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.