Poll: The test is
credible and worthy of serious consideration
poorly designed and has no bearing in real life situations
inconclusive
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Fear of a vengeful God may explain humanity’s global expansion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 07:36 AM
Fear of a vengeful God may explain humanity’s global expansion
"The fear that a punitive God is watching may have helped drive humanity’s global expansion, a team of international researchers argues in a new paper.

Their research, conducted in communities around the world and summarized in a peer-reviewed paper published this week by the journal Nature, finds that people who hold such beliefs about God tend to act less selfishly.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts...expansion/

I’m curious to hear what other’s think about the test itself and the results.

I’ll hold my own opinion so as not influence your response.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2016, 07:38 AM
RE: Fear of a vengeful God may explain humanity’s global expansion
(12-02-2016 07:36 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  "The fear that a punitive God is watching may have helped drive humanity’s global expansion, a team of international researchers argues in a new paper.

Their research, conducted in communities around the world and summarized in a peer-reviewed paper published this week by the journal Nature, finds that people who hold such beliefs about God tend to act less selfishly.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts...expansion/

I’m curious to hear what other’s think about the test itself and the results.

I’ll hold my own opinion so as not influence your response.

Didn't seem to stop the Chinese.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
12-02-2016, 08:18 AM
Their claim of peaceful notions equating to expansion seems backwards.. The expansions happened with people not sticking with trusting a group but growing away from them over and over and over until you get pockets of other people.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
13-02-2016, 07:46 AM
(12-02-2016 08:18 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Their claim of peaceful notions equating to expansion seems backwards.. The expansions happened with people not sticking with trusting a group but growing away from them over and over and over until you get pockets of other people.

Hmm... Can you elaborate a bit? Not completely sure what you mean.

Also, are you talking about geographical expansion? Because the research paper is dealing with social and societal expansion, and geographical expansion is only hinted at (to the extend that social expansion and geographical expansion are connected).
13-02-2016, 08:00 AM
(13-02-2016 07:46 AM)Gaest Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 08:18 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Their claim of peaceful notions equating to expansion seems backwards.. The expansions happened with people not sticking with trusting a group but growing away from them over and over and over until you get pockets of other people.

Hmm... Can you elaborate a bit? Not completely sure what you mean.

Also, are you talking about geographical expansion? Because the research paper is dealing with social and societal expansion, and geographical expansion is only hinted at (to the extend that social expansion and geographical expansion are connected).
I was looking and didn't see them mention it much at any context at all.

Time lines are really not stated abd it's clear.. because that idea of a god/deities origin isn't known to be something early social humans did have.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-02-2016, 08:00 AM
This isn't really new information. Read the last few paragraphs.

Truth seeker.
13-02-2016, 10:30 AM
I vote inconclusive, beyond the sensational headline. Problem is, the people with an agenda will probably only read the headline.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post