Fear of becoming cynical and/or militant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Fear of becoming cynical and/or militant
As an ex-Mormon, current lesbian atheist it has become increasingly difficult for me to ignore the statements of those around me regarding religion/spirituality. Religion I have a major problem with since we all know it's a giant myth, and many of my close friends are ardent theists or apologetics. Spirituality I'm far more open to since I consider myself spiritual.

However, I've been reading so many claims from loved ones that we need to "believe in all things because they can be seen, touched, and sensed in more ways than we can explain. We have to be open to them" or "Just because you may not believe, doesn’t mean that it isn’t real". I'm all for possibility, but I'd rather have an idea of something than a belief. A belief is hard to change, and people die for such things. An idea is much easier to augment to new evidence.

I feel as if I'm stifled and unable to say what I really think, and worse, I feel so much anger towards such simplistic belief. Am I wrong? Am I alone? I am on the verge of telling everyone who "believes" such things that I want nothing to do with them. I recently had a debate with a theist friend about whether Creationism should be taught alongside Evolution in schools. I'm so tired of fighting because I feel so alone. I don't want to become cynical, but being so isolated is making me so. What can I do?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Braveanglo's post
01-12-2011, 09:13 AM
RE: Fear of becoming cynical and/or militant
NEVER tire of fighting for what you think is right. Such talk will be the downfall of us all. You mustn't give up or loose faith in yourself. screw any gods or people who blindly follow them. You are who you are and if the foolish sheep insist on getting in your way then to hell with them. And no you're not alone. There are many who feel exactly the way you do. But it will get better over time as you come to understand more.

As for pushing away those who have religious beliefs...well that's up to you. I did so because I found them annoying and I haven't had any feelings of guilt over it. Also remember that you're not isolated. I'm talking to you now am I not?

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 3 users Like Hamata k's post
01-12-2011, 10:02 AM
What do you do? You pop someone in the eye, that's what you do! Big Grin

Serious. Run the simulation in your mind of popping a simplistic theist in the eye for promoting ignorance and selecting for stupidity. The better one is able to visualize this technique, the less one feels the hopelessness. As an added bonus, such simulation technique can uncover moral ambiguity; and one will be able to determine which theists are sincere, and which are only believers. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-12-2011, 05:53 PM

(01-12-2011 08:58 AM)Braveanglo Wrote:  I feel as if I'm stifled and unable to say what I really think, and worse, I feel so much anger towards such simplistic belief. Am I wrong? Am I alone? I am on the verge of telling everyone who "believes" such things that I want nothing to do with them. I recently had a debate with a theist friend about whether Creationism should be taught alongside Evolution in schools. I'm so tired of fighting because I feel so alone. I don't want to become cynical, but being so isolated is making me so. What can I do?

I would suggest to build up an "ammunition store" you can choose from that would give them a pause.

Nothing is as precious as the pause and confusion you create when you ask an unanswerable question and they just don't have a stock answer ready.

Once I asked a priest about how god would handle human cloning when it became a relity.

He actually got angry at me because he just could not explain how god would split the soul of the cloned person.

Another one of my favourites is "Would you have invented god?".

We had a whole thread on the question a while ago.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Zatamon's post
01-12-2011, 07:03 PM
(01-12-2011 08:58 AM)Braveanglo Wrote:  I feel as if I'm stifled and unable to say what I really think, and worse, I feel so much anger towards such simplistic belief. Am I wrong? Am I alone? I am on the verge of telling everyone who "believes" such things that I want nothing to do with them. I recently had a debate with a theist friend about whether Creationism should be taught alongside Evolution in schools. I'm so tired of fighting because I feel so alone. I don't want to become cynical, but being so isolated is making me so. What can I do?

I feel like this often - my blog is often my therapy Smile

I get frustrated when friends on Facebook ask for prayers for this, that, and the other thing. I always fight the urge to tell them prayer isn't solving anything. Often get tired of biting my tongue...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post
01-12-2011, 07:16 PM
(01-12-2011 08:58 AM)Braveanglo Wrote:  As an ex-Mormon, current lesbian atheist it has become increasingly difficult for me to ignore the statements of those around me regarding religion/spirituality. Religion I have a major problem with since we all know it's a giant myth, and many of my close friends are ardent theists or apologetics. Spirituality I'm far more open to since I consider myself spiritual.

However, I've been reading so many claims from loved ones that we need to "believe in all things because they can be seen, touched, and sensed in more ways than we can explain. We have to be open to them" or "Just because you may not believe, doesn’t mean that it isn’t real". I'm all for possibility, but I'd rather have an idea of something than a belief. A belief is hard to change, and people die for such things. An idea is much easier to augment to new evidence.

I feel as if I'm stifled and unable to say what I really think, and worse, I feel so much anger towards such simplistic belief. Am I wrong? Am I alone? I am on the verge of telling everyone who "believes" such things that I want nothing to do with them. I recently had a debate with a theist friend about whether Creationism should be taught alongside Evolution in schools. I'm so tired of fighting because I feel so alone. I don't want to become cynical, but being so isolated is making me so. What can I do?

Really, so long as they are the ones to bring up the subject, I wouldn't really consider you being militant. Militant is more of going door to door saying "Stop believing in God!" If you are accused of being militant, then you can simply say that you are entitled to your own opinion, and that they are the ones who brought up the subject in the first place, not you. If they don't want to hear opinions from others, then why speak about it to others? I find it ridiculous when atheists are accused of being militant, and they weren't the ones to bring up the subject in the first place or they aren't the ones trying to convert or attack people.

The best thing that you can use in an argument against a theist is to quote their own texts imo. I could go on all day about how religion started and has evolved, and how it really has nothing to do with actual Gods, but rather with people making Gods. However, it means nothing to a theist. I could go into the evolutionary and psychological mechanisms that would have been what actually started religion, and why it has lasted so long, but this would again mean nothing to them. What best gets to theists in my experience is quoting their own texts, and when they try and say something like "Oh, that's the Old Testament" or "Oh, that is just a parable, you can't take that literally," having the proper response back. Of course there are those who don't believe the Bible to be the actual word of God, and tend to claim that they "had a personal experience," and again there are things that you can even say about that. I recommend that when you encounter a theistic argument that you don't know how to handle or respond to, or even if it is something that they like to throw at you a lot, that you post them here or look for related threads, and I'm sure that we can help you out. I suppose I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I at least will try to.

[Image: GummiSpider.jpg]
01-12-2011, 07:17 PM
(01-12-2011 08:58 AM)Braveanglo Wrote:  As an ex-Mormon, current lesbian atheist it has become increasingly ...

... I don't want to become cynical, but being so isolated is making me so. What can I do?

Find people you can relate to. Better yet keep to people you can relate to. Seek them out and start ditching the old religious sort. It's a poison to a thinking person. I am not ex-Mormon but I live in a state in the US that begins with the letter U. I know what you mean by isolation.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
01-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I find it very hard not to be cynical or an atheist douchebag. Everytime someone says "thank God" I always want to correct them what they should actually be thankful for.

My brother, who is also an athiest, said one of the most hilarious and true observations I have ever heard "i don't know how people can take religion seriously. i can't even look at the bible without my tongue going so far in my cheek that they fuse together and i'm hideously disfigured for the rest of my life."
01-12-2011, 09:31 PM
(01-12-2011 08:58 AM)Braveanglo Wrote:  . . .
However, I've been reading so many claims from loved ones that we need to "believe in all things because they can be seen, touched, and sensed in more ways than we can explain. We have to be open to them" or "Just because you may not believe, doesn’t mean that it isn’t real". I'm all for possibility, but I'd rather have an idea of something than a belief.
. . .

One response that I use is
"Yes, one should be open-minded, but not so open-minded that your brain falls out."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
01-12-2011, 09:52 PM
(01-12-2011 09:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-12-2011 08:58 AM)Braveanglo Wrote:  . . .
However, I've been reading so many claims from loved ones that we need to "believe in all things because they can be seen, touched, and sensed in more ways than we can explain. We have to be open to them" or "Just because you may not believe, doesn’t mean that it isn’t real". I'm all for possibility, but I'd rather have an idea of something than a belief.
. . .

One response that I use is
"Yes, one should be open-minded, but not so open-minded that your brain falls out."

Theres a big difference between being openminded and actually believing in something of which there is no evidence for. Sure we could say that its possible that there is a God, but no more possible than is the invisible pink unicorn.

[Image: GummiSpider.jpg]