Fear of becoming cynical and/or militant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2011, 08:34 PM
RE: Fear of becoming cynical and/or militant
(01-12-2011 07:03 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(01-12-2011 08:58 AM)Braveanglo Wrote:  I feel as if I'm stifled and unable to say what I really think, and worse, I feel so much anger towards such simplistic belief. Am I wrong? Am I alone? I am on the verge of telling everyone who "believes" such things that I want nothing to do with them. I recently had a debate with a theist friend about whether Creationism should be taught alongside Evolution in schools. I'm so tired of fighting because I feel so alone. I don't want to become cynical, but being so isolated is making me so. What can I do?

I feel like this often - my blog is often my therapy Smile

I get frustrated when friends on Facebook ask for prayers for this, that, and the other thing. I always fight the urge to tell them prayer isn't solving anything. Often get tired of biting my tongue...

I understand the feeling. And there's so many of them and so few of us. There are no atheists in my family except for my brother, and that's a comfort. But family gatherings are hell. I've had a family member or two unfriend me on facebook and refuse to speak to me. It's frustrating. I just want to get out a bullhorn and scream in their faces.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2011, 05:42 PM
(02-12-2011 08:34 PM)Braveanglo Wrote:  
(01-12-2011 07:03 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(01-12-2011 08:58 AM)Braveanglo Wrote:  I feel as if I'm stifled and unable to say what I really think, and worse, I feel so much anger towards such simplistic belief. Am I wrong? Am I alone? I am on the verge of telling everyone who "believes" such things that I want nothing to do with them. I recently had a debate with a theist friend about whether Creationism should be taught alongside Evolution in schools. I'm so tired of fighting because I feel so alone. I don't want to become cynical, but being so isolated is making me so. What can I do?

I feel like this often - my blog is often my therapy Smile

I get frustrated when friends on Facebook ask for prayers for this, that, and the other thing. I always fight the urge to tell them prayer isn't solving anything. Often get tired of biting my tongue...

I understand the feeling. And there's so many of them and so few of us. There are no atheists in my family except for my brother, and that's a comfort. But family gatherings are hell. I've had a family member or two unfriend me on facebook and refuse to speak to me. It's frustrating. I just want to get out a bullhorn and scream in their faces.

I understand your pain and it's extremely annoying. I spend spare time giving the theists hell on youtube and other comment sections. Luckily my wife is atheist also. My 3 kids are too but my family are all theists. It is very annoying. You need to find an outlet. We poke fun at the silliness on facebook often. That is very fun Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2011, 08:29 PM
I post things like this on FB for fun Smile

[Image: atheism-eating-babies.jpg?w=604]

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post
06-12-2011, 04:48 PM
(01-12-2011 08:58 AM)Braveanglo Wrote:  I'm all for possibility, but I'd rather have an idea of something than a belief. A belief is hard to change, and people die for such things. An idea is much easier to augment to new evidence.

I really like the way that sounds.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
08-12-2011, 08:37 PM
(02-12-2011 08:34 PM)Braveanglo Wrote:  But family gatherings are hell. I've had a family member or two unfriend me on facebook and refuse to speak to me. It's frustrating. I just want to get out a bullhorn and scream in their faces.

It just builds the atheist case about how hypocritical so many Christians are. Although having said that, their god did say to hate those of other religions:

They should be shunned. Neither marry nor be friends with them:

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? ... Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord." -- 2 Cor.6:14-17

Or even kill them:

But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die." -- Dt.13:6-10

It must be difficult to be told on the one hand that your god is loving, kind and gentle, then be taught by the inerrant word of that god, in its holy book all of the hatred and bigotry that it contains.

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
[+] 2 users Like Organon's post
09-12-2011, 04:37 AM

I generally don't discuss religion, unless people push me into it. I am in the closet in the workplace, but not on Facebook and among family and friends. As for You Tube atheists, they can be a little too crazy for me, especially that one that keeps getting banned from fast food restaurants...leave the poor employees alone.

But I would get angry if I saw discrimination and the like, or was discriminated against in which case I wouldn't hold my tongue. Undecided
Quote this message in a reply