Fear of death??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Fear of death??
How much of our fear of death would you say is watching how people die in horrific ways on the news. Do you think watching people jump out the world trade center makes people afraid of the process of death instead of actually dying. we are bombarded with rape/murder, shark attacks, and all kinds of grizzly ways of dying. do you think if we all died in our sleep, most people would no longer fear it, or do you think not existing is the real reason we fear it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like satan69's post
02-04-2012, 06:57 AM
RE: Fear of death??
I truly couldn't explain why people fear death. I don't fear it, at least not more than my instincts force me to protect myself from it. Unfortunately my instincts aren't strong enough to protect me from my brain and it's horrible eating habits and smoking. Tongue

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2012, 07:06 AM
I think people are more afraid of the process.

Have you ever been in a severe accident? Your mind has ways to make this not near as horrible as you think. The second you realize the shit has hit the fan, you slip into shock, nature's painkiller. Your mind is free to try to manage the situation, and if you die in the process you won't be feeling a thing.

Shock does not make you unable to act, quite the opposite. It makes you able to act rationally in the middle of mayhem. It's when you come out of shock that you become unable to act. That is when the body reclaims control in an effort to heal itself.

And traumatic deaths are way in the minority. Most people die in hospitals gently floating away because they are drugged to the hilt. The really lucky ones die comfortably in bed at home, also painless because drugs will be avaiable.

Death because of trauma is taken care of by nature. Death because of disease is managed by science. There is no reason to be afraid of death at all.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-04-2012, 07:07 AM
We have evolved a brain with the ability to simulate future. Extrapolation of these simulations compounded with natural fear leads to a hypothetical resultant based on causal experience and is patently absurd. Death is where there ain't no Gwynnies because there ain't no I. People who think that's a bad thing have an over-developed sense of self-importance, imo.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
02-04-2012, 07:33 AM
so your saying, if there is a fire in a building like the great white concert, and you cant escape, you have a out of body experience to cope until you burn to death.
02-04-2012, 08:39 AM
(02-04-2012 07:33 AM)satan69 Wrote:  so your saying, if there is a fire in a building like the great white concert, and you cant escape, you have a out of body experience to cope until you burn to death.

Not at all. You will be all the way in your body, trying to get the hell outta there.

But your body won't feel the pain of the fire...that is reserved for later, when it tries to heal if it escaped. Pain is related to healing. It alerts you to where there is an issue.

Healing isn't the issue while you are trying to escape. So your mind does not receive the pain signals, you are way too busy trampling towards whatever exit there may be. Once rescued, you have the pain. Then you have to rely on science to numb it for you.

You will feel panic, but not pain. Panic will make your body move and that is what is needed. Panic will make you rely on instinct and eliminates rational thinking. It is reserved for live or die moments. Pain makes the body stop moving and that isn't useful til later, when repair is attempted.

Our bodies are quite incredible.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-04-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm afraid to die. Not gonna lie.

I'm not afraid of hell, or anything stupid like that. I'm not even worried much about not existing.

The dying part is what I don't want to do. It hurts. With my luck it will take forever too. though good old GM gave me a great idea.
Also I will miss so many cool things my kid is going to do and that gives reverse regret. Regret for things that have yet to come to fruition.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
02-04-2012, 09:42 AM
It's fear of the unknown. The same fear that created God.
02-04-2012, 10:01 AM
I think it's an evolutionary trait. We instinctively fear death because the people who didn't got killed off pretty early on. People who don't fear death have simply overcome the natural instinct.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
02-04-2012, 10:27 AM
I don't fear death itself. Not the process of dying nor being dead.

Whether I have regrets depends on the stage of life I am in. Sometimes I really want to see how something turns out. Sometimes I feel that at the time I will leave a mess for someone I love and don't want to go for that reason. Other times I think it would be a great time to die, I feel my life's purpose at the time has resolved itself and I am ready to go. Of course then I start something new and want to see how that turns out.....

Like my husband said before he died: "I am not afraid to die, I just don't want to leave you." So he fought until it became apparent that death was inevitable for him this time. Then he let it be and left in peace. He knew he had done everything possible for me, and that I was a resourceful person and would be ok. That's where he got his peace in the end.

Lucradis, you are wrong. Most deaths do not hurt physically at all. Not in this day and time. Regrets - there will be fewer of them if you make sure you have thought ahead and made proper arrangements to ease the impact on your family. That part is up to you. Now is the time.